Order One iPad, Get Five From Best Buy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Get this, some lady ordered one iPad, Best Buy screws up and ships five instead. After the media got involved, the store told her to keep the iPads and give them to friends, family or charity. Obviously the lady could have kept them legally anyway and who knows what Best Buy would have done without media intervention but it ended well so I guess that's all that matters. I guess you know where to order your 5 for 1 iPads now. ;)

We, here at Best Buy, acknowledge that we obviously made a mistake, but in the spirit of the holidays, we encourage you to keep the additional iPads and give them to people in need – friends, family, a local school or charity.

Yep...and a whole bunch of people just ordered iPads hoping they will get 5. Best Buy done good.

There's levels of honesty that I'll go through, cashier gives me too much change, I'll correct them. Someone forgets to ring something up on the register, and I don't notice until I get out of the store I usually won't make a point of returning it, that's where I'd classify this at.

dr.kevin is right on . . . .somebody will lose their job today . . .or a pink slip tomorrow. .. . .

The amount of bad press Best Buy would get trying to pursue this would definitely not be worth it.

Now who wants to bet that there's someone out there that ordered five iPads and got a box with only one in it?

That's even better than how Best Buy gave me a free Galaxy Nexus last December (well, technically it was on contract, but I did save $160 from what the typical 3-year term was).

How did the press hear about this? I would have just let Bestbuy know they made a mistake and let them pay the return shipping fee. I don't feel the need to gain from others' loss, especially this badly.

Now, if it was Bestbuy that contacted the press for the publicity (which I doubt), then good for them I guess. However, if this lady contacted the press in hopes of this exact thing happening, then that's kinda scummy.

Bestbuy doesn't have too many options here anyway. If you're shipped goods you didn't order, you're suppose to be able to keep them free. Although that was the law a long time ago before Amazon and other online stores, so it may have changed.

It would be annoying if youd only bought a single bullet. I suppose it would probably go through all 5, but still.

Why couldn't this have happened to me....
Wait, I'd never have ordered an iPad, especially from BestBuy....

I remember a similar story from a couple years back. Newegg sent out netbooks, but there were 3 netbooks in a box.

How did the press hear about this? I would have just let Bestbuy know they made a mistake and let them pay the return shipping fee. I don't feel the need to gain from others' loss, especially this badly.

Now, if it was Bestbuy that contacted the press for the publicity (which I doubt), then good for them I guess. However, if this lady contacted the press in hopes of this exact thing happening, then that's kinda scummy.

I was hoping that I wouldn't be the only one to call BestBuy and let them know the mistake and how they wanted to handle it. Im not gonna keep them at the expense of a few people jobs.

I was hoping that I wouldn't be the only one to call BestBuy and let them know the mistake and how they wanted to handle it. Im not gonna keep them at the expense of a few people jobs.

Seriously... I'm amazed that only a couple of people seem to share this sentiment. Companies are always vilified (Best Buy in particular) and consumers are always viewed as helpless victims. If the roles has been reversed and Best Buy accidentally charged her for 5 ipads when she only ordered one, they would fix it immediately. But because it was the big bad company that made the mistake, the thought of returning the exrta ipads and doing the right thing doesn't even seem to cross people's minds.

The fact that the media was involved at all is absurd.

I agree. If I ordered five, and they sent me one, I'd expect a partial refund or my additional items. If I order one and get five, it is entirely justified for them to ALSO expect rectification of the error.

An error made in good faith in a business transaction should be corrected, or an attempt made to do so, no matter which side of the transaction, seller, or buyer, made the error. Anything else is dishonest and sleazy.

About that last point, I'd like to think that too, but IMO there may be consequences regardless. The company knows the next customer isn't going to be that kind and chances are, they won't wait until it gets to point to take action.

Hows the weather up there on that high horse?

If I ordered from a corporation that is known to overprice everything and basically rip everyday Joes off who dont know any better. And if the law is on my side (theoretically, not sure of current laws) why wouldn't I keep the bonus product.

They make enough to cover it (and more) pushing Monster cables and other overpriced crap onto people who don't need it. I'll follow the laws. No need to trot around on the high horse. But yea let me know when when that high pressure system moves in.

Bestbuy could of asked for them back and/or charged her for it if she refused to work with them to return the product.

If you're shipped goods you didn't order. I think the law is they can't charge you for it if you do not want to keep it. The urban legend is that you can keep it. But that was when USPS was the primary package deliverer and there was no tracking of packages. Now they have delivery confirmations etc to have some proof of delivery.

They have to get the product from you. They can't charge you to ship the product back. So basically they have to pay UPS to go to your house to pick up a package. He'll have to slap labels on 4 boxes that say IPAD on them. And due to UPS's overwhelming care of packages. These 4 units won't get "lost" or "broken open". By "Accident".

This reminds me of an Amazon package that got mid-delivered to me. Didn't have to sign for anything because the post office delievered it. I called amazon and they told me to drop it off in the mail with no return label. I was like Um. Ok.

it can be harder to return over sent items than you think. I had to call Amazon three times to get them to take back a 360 game, (the first year it was out) because they sent me two copies. They kept asking if I'd like another copy or a refund and I had to explain "No I bought one copy, you sent me two!" My friend told me to just keep it but at the time I didn't have a 360 AND I didn't pay for it.

Bestbuy could of asked for them back and/or charged her for it if she refused to work with them to return the product.

If you're shipped goods you didn't order. I think the law is they can't charge you for it if you do not want to keep it. The urban legend is that you can keep it. But that was when USPS was the primary package deliverer and there was no tracking of packages. Now they have delivery confirmations etc to have some proof of delivery.

They have to get the product from you. They can't charge you to ship the product back. So basically they have to pay UPS to go to your house to pick up a package. He'll have to slap labels on 4 boxes that say IPAD on them. And due to UPS's overwhelming care of packages. These 4 units won't get "lost" or "broken open". By "Accident".

This reminds me of an Amazon package that got mid-delivered to me. Didn't have to sign for anything because the post office delievered it. I called amazon and they told me to drop it off in the mail with no return label. I was like Um. Ok.

No, Best Buy couldn't. If a company sends you something you did not order or pay for, you are under no obligation to send anything back. It was written into law to protect people from being mailed an unwanted product and the mailer harassing the receiver for payment. Apparently, that used to be a thing.

Hows the weather up there on that high horse?

If I ordered from a corporation that is known to overprice everything and basically rip everyday Joes off who dont know any better. And if the law is on my side (theoretically, not sure of current laws) why wouldn't I keep the bonus product.

They make enough to cover it (and more) pushing Monster cables and other overpriced crap onto people who don't need it. I'll follow the laws. No need to trot around on the high horse. But yea let me know when when that high pressure system moves in.

So, being a good person and doing the right thing is somehow a bad thing?

I just ordered some $100 Klipsch speakers from a deal found here on the forum from Best Buy, went to pick up the box, didn't realize till I got home that the box was for a $200 set of speakers. :D

Perhaps storerooming or whatever they call it is not their problem, screwing up people's orders is.

...we encourage you to keep the additional iPads and give them to people in need – friends, family, a local school or charity.

So people in need now need iPads? Is that how it goes now-a-days, Best Buy?

No, Best Buy couldn't. If a company sends you something you did not order or pay for, you are under no obligation to send anything back. It was written into law to protect people from being mailed an unwanted product and the mailer harassing the receiver for payment. Apparently, that used to be a thing.

Almost right. In most states you don't have to return unsolicited goods unless they were sent to you by mistake. At least in Texas (and most other states), Best Buy could ask for the extra iPads back and would be legally entitled to them.

Relevant TX statute

So people in need now need iPads? Is that how it goes now-a-days, Best Buy?
According to Democrats, everyone has the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness.... and free food, free housing, free internet, free healthcare, free TV, and almost free gas/electricity, so a free iPad isn't much of a stretch. ;)

Almost right. In most states you don't have to return unsolicited goods unless they were sent to you by mistake. At least in Texas (and most other states), Best Buy could ask for the extra iPads back and would be legally entitled to them.

Relevant TX statute

Read it again. First, the burden of proof is on the sender to prove it was a mistake, and that only applies for "Mistaken Delivery", which is generally defined as a product delivered to the wrong address/recipient.

Unless the other 4 ipads were to delivered to 4 other people and Best Buy can prove it, the recipient is legally entitled to keep them as "gifts".

In reference to that texas law posted a few spots above.

the woman solicited the order- she ordered ONE, thus it would pertain to these sections of the statute:

Sec. 602.002. ACTIONS AUTHORIZED ON DELIVERY OF UNSOLICITED GOODS. Unless otherwise agreed, a person to whom unsolicited goods are delivered:

(1) is entitled to refuse to accept delivery of the goods; and

(2) is not required to return the goods to the sender.
Sec. 602.003. CERTAIN UNSOLICITED GOODS CONSIDERED GIFT.
(a) Unsolicited goods that are addressed to or intended for the recipient are considered a gift to the recipient.
(b) The recipient may use or dispose of goods described by Subsection (a) in any manner without obligation to the sender.

specifically this would fall under 602.003(a) thus she- does not have to return the items.

it was not a mistaken delivery -so section 602.004 would not apply

In reference to that texas law posted a few spots above.

the woman solicited the order- she ordered ONE, thus it would pertain to these sections of the statute:

specifically this would fall under 602.003(a) thus she- does not have to return the items.

it was not a mistaken delivery -so section 602.004 would not apply

Thank you. My wife explained how the wording of the law works to me at one point. I can't remember if she was talking out a problem in one of her law school classes or if there was a real life example she and I were discussing.

No one is in need of a fuhking iPad. If this happened to me and Best Buy contacted me about it, I'd be more likely to give them back. Only if, 1) they came and got them, and 2) they weren't acting like a bag of dicks about it. If they start off with scare tactics, etc., then the law is on my side and I'm keeping the iPads.

You can keep shit that's sent to you by mistake? Where's that written at? How about a little morality. Send them back on their dime of course. This fuckin entitlement mentality is sad.

why argue about it, best buy said,.,. merry christmas keep the items.

even though they are following the law, its a good story for them.

personally if it was me, i'd keep em all without a qualm. my kids would be ecstatic since they'd all have an ipad (for the record, in my house- 4 computers, 1 nook tablet, 2 nook e-readers, 3 ipod touches, 5 nintendo ds's, 2 wii's 1 wiiU, 2 samsung galaxy II's and an older htc eroc phone)

You can keep shit that's sent to you by mistake? Where's that written at? How about a little morality. Send them back on their dime of course. This fuckin entitlement mentality is sad.

It has nothing to do with entitlement. It has everything to do with companies shipping goods and then extorting money from people. It would be one thing if they shipped an item that was supposed to go to someone else, but they didn't. They shipped extra of an item that was purchased by the receiver.

I am confused, did you read the article? Apparently the receiver sent a note into the Consumerist. The consumerist then contacted Best Buy. Best Buy then contacted the recipient personally.

According to Democrats, everyone has the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness.... and free food, free housing, free internet, free healthcare, free TV, and almost free gas/electricity, so a free iPad isn't much of a stretch. ;)

No.. according to Democrats, only Democrats have those rights as well as criminals and terrorists. Of course, those 3 are pretty much one in the same for the most part.

The rest of us they couldn't care less about.

Back