Orange Box - Retail and Steam

Nihilanth99

2[H]4U
Quick question: if someone buys a retail version of The Orange Box, can they simply register its key on Steam and have the content download the same way as Steam-purchased titles? Is there any distinction post-installation between a Steam-purchased copy and a retail copy?

I can't imagine it wouldn't work that way.

That's how I installed the original HL2 - didn't even pop the CD out of the tray. Just opened up Steam, entered the key, and it did it's thing downloading the latest version of the software.

Should be the same... steam see's my old copy of CS on my account and I have no idea where the CD is but I can still play :). One of the great things about steam!

The titles will run the same, as the game and company require you to register the product with Steam. This will enable all future updates being automatically downloaded upon startup of the steam service, provided you have the game installed. As far as installation, I'd go with grabbing a boxed copy of the orange box, installing, and unlocking. It'd be much faster, but in the future case of losing a cd or somesuch, steam is your new best friend. It's nice to have an online record of what games you bought. :)

Thanks guys, I'm off to pick it up now. $37 is an excellent price at Fry's, but Valve's decision to axe the black box still bothers me to no end.

Thanks guys, I'm off to pick it up now. $37 is an excellent price at Fry's, but Valve's decision to axe the black box still bothers me to no end.

Agreed. I kept thinking...how many people honestly don't have HL2 (or EP1) yet they've finally decided to get it in this form 2+ years later? I didn't really even want TF2 or Portal, but for only $10 more than just EP2, it's tough not to go ahead and do it.

Agreed. I kept thinking...how many people honestly don't have HL2 (or EP1) yet they've finally decided to get it in this form 2+ years later? I didn't really even want TF2 or Portal, but for only $10 more than just EP2, it's tough not to go ahead and do it.

I actually never bothered to buy HL2 since I missed the good deals when it came out. Portal looked great and so did TF2 so I bought the whole thing and have enjoyed every penny of it. Hell its a lot cheaper than going to the movies 2-3x and I got a lot more out of it.

Back