orange box and no steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, that would kind of delete the purpose of the whole CD key system, maybe?

There is no way to install it without steam that doesn't violate the EULA; unless you're friends with someone at Valve.

Not only that you would miss the joy of Steam. It's simply the best digital game distro.

Not only that you would miss the joy of Steam. It's simply the best digital game distro.

i know:) but heres the deal: my little brother wants to buy my retail copy of the orange box and put it on his PC, but our mom doesn't want him to have a steam account and i dont want him to be using my steam account (duh) so yeah...well than can he make his own steam account and put the games on there and at the same time me still have my games on my account?

P.S. and i am not going to do anything illegal to do this.

well than can he make his own steam account and put the games on there and at the same time me still have my games on my account?

P.S. and i am not going to do anything illegal to do this.

No, if you have already installed them and activated them on your account you cant transfer them to another aco♥♥♥♥

well than can he make his own steam account and put the games on there and at the same time me still have my games on my account?

Unfortunately, Steam/Valve does not let you transfer game licenses to other people. So once a key is tied to your account, it is tied forever. Cannot be transferred nor lost. So you and your bro are SOL.

Just out of curiosity, does she realize he can't actually "do" anything with a steam account he can't do anyway? It's not like he can go in and rack up a bill or anything. You can't even store cc info if you purchase something with it. Maybe it's just the word "account" that's scaring her. Maybe you should just let her know it's basically just signing up for a user name, and that you can't purchase anything without a cc.

Just out of curiosity, does she realize he can't actually "do" anything with a steam account he can't do anyway? It's not like he can go in and rack up a bill or anything. You can't even store cc info if you purchase something with it. Maybe it's just the word "account" that's scaring her. Maybe you should just let her know it's basically just signing up for a user name, and that you can't purchase anything without a cc.

qft

i dont think thats it, i think it's because he needs an email, and he has not come to that age of maturity.

oh and thanks for the info guys, even if its not what i wanted to hear.

Make him a gmail account for the steam system, load steam, purchase the game for him and activate it using the gmail account you made.
don't give him access to the gmail account since he isn't old enough.

Unfortunately, Steam/Valve does not let you transfer game licenses to other people. So once a key is tied to your account, it is tied forever. Cannot be transferred nor lost. So you and your bro are SOL.

I believe you are mistaken, if you read their FAQs, they allow CD keys to be transfer to different accounts. The account can only be transfer if you email them the with the existing email account with a copy of the pictorial CD KEY Cover.

Make him a gmail account for the steam system, load steam, purchase the game for him and activate it using the gmail account you made.
don't give him access to the gmail account since he isn't old enough.

Exactly. When I was a kid I would hook my brother up with stuff if he needed it. My parents don't know jack about computers. We didn't have to worry about not being able to do stuff on the internet. They still don't know anything about them. My mom is having one hell of a time just hooking up her wireless router.

Hang on... Hes mature enough to play a game with guns and monsters etc. which here in the UK at least carries a 15 certificate. But not to have an email account? :confused:

Hang on... Hes mature enough to play a game with guns and monsters etc. which here in the UK at least carries a 15 certificate. But not to have an email account? :confused:

well i was playing M games when i was 13, but my mom wouldnt let me get an email account till I was 37. She didnt want all those sexy ladies on the web seducing me.

well i was playing M games when i was 13, but my mom wouldnt let me get an email account till I was 37. She didnt want all those sexy ladies on the web seducing me.

Hah, I was playing UT99 at the age of 9, DOOM at the age of 4 :-p

My parents raised me very well ;-)

Unfortunately for Jack Thompson, I haven't had this urge to go on a killing rampage yet, poor him.

Hah, I was playing UT99 at the age of 9, DOOM at the age of 4 :-p

My parents raised me very well ;-)

Unfortunately for Jack Thompson, I haven't had this urge to go on a killing rampage yet, poor him.

same here, i played HL1 at age 9.

It's not like he has to access the account after verification unless he needs to find a lost password so why not make a gmail account and not give him the password to it? Seems like a pretty simple solution.

It's not like he has to access the account after verification unless he needs to find a lost password so why not make a gmail account and not give him the password to it? Seems like a pretty simple solution.

talk to my mom.

wow...ok we try to help and now u tell us to stop talking? that doesnt seem very nice....

LOL, anyways my $0.02 is that you can use the offline feature of steam anyways so he doen't even need internet access after the intial set up and etc.

LOL, anyways my $0.02 is that you can use the offline feature of steam anyways so he doen't even need internet access after the intial set up and etc.

"this operation cannot be completed when steam is in off line mode" any ideas?

"this operation cannot be completed when steam is in off line mode" any ideas?

No, because you told us to shut up.

How about you just go against what your mom says and set up a gmail account anyway. It's not going to hurt anyone. You still haven't answered the age questions, which is intriguing.

Haven't you ever gone against what your parents said? I thought that's what being a kid was all about.

No, because you told us to shut up.

How about you just go against what your mom says and set up a gmail account anyway. It's not going to hurt anyone. You still haven't answered the age questions, which is intriguing.

Haven't you ever gone against what your parents said? I thought that's what being a kid was all about.

wow, i am sorry for you.

i am 15 and i am not telling you how she is, she would not be happy about that.

Don't judge me man, I'm a rebel!

yes, one kicked out of his own home by mom for creating a gmail account at the tender age of 31, and then going on brides.com to order yourself a wife...

What would Jack Thomson say about you now?

:rolleyes:

j/k

lol...

I see your sarcasim, but then again the "M" games when I was a kid was 8 bit lesiure suit larry, which hardly compares to GTA IV.

I would have to say if he is old enough for Team Fortress 2, then he should be old enough for e-mail. Even so, just create a g-mail account for him and use it to get access to steam. Just don't give him the login for the g-mail.

yes, one kicked out of his own home by mom for creating a gmail account at the tender age of 31, and then going on brides.com to order yourself a wife...

What would Jack Thomson say about you now?

:rolleyes:

j/k

lol, that was kinda funny.

Brave_heart, you and your brother should go into the cornfields with the other children and enjoy the night. It's summer!

Ya know if Jack Thopson was right about video games, then someone would have gone on a violent rampage on him. Seriously, the very fact no one has acted on the impulse to go murder him proves him wrong.

i for one respect that this kid wants to follow the rules his parents setup and he doesn't want to download a crack or illegal copy to do it.

also its very smart that the parents don't want their kids online chatting or emailing when they're young.

that being said, from what i've read and what you've said about your mom, your only option is to wait until he's old enough for an email address, or let him share your steam account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back