Oracle Launches AMD EPYC Instances

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Yesterday, Oracle launched the "E" series of cloud compute instances powered by AMD's EPYC processors. Each instances offers up to 64 cores and 512GB of memory. Oracle claims that the processors offer some substantial advantages over other offerings, and backs those claims up with some benchmarks they ran against a 2P, 52 core "x86 Alternative System".

Today, we are announcing the general availability of "Compute Standard E2 platform" which is the first addition to the E series. The Compute Standard E2 platform will be available in both Bare Metal and also 1 core, 2 core, 4 core and 8 core VM shapes. With the launch of Compute Standard E2 instances, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure becomes the first public cloud to have a generally available AMD EPYC processor-based compute instance. With 64 cores per server, Oracle has the largest core count instance available in production in the public cloud. With 33 percent more memory channels than comparable x86 instances, this new instance provides more than 269 Gb/s memory bandwidth, the highest recorded by any instance in the public cloud. Additionally, AMD EPYC processors are not affected by Meltdown and Foreshadow security vulnerabilities. You get all of this for $0.03 per core hour, which is 66 percent less than general purpose instances offered by other clouds, 53 percent lower than Oracle's other compute instances, and is the lowest price offered by any non-burstable compute instance in the public cloud.

Lookin good, glad to see more players giving Epyc the chance it deserves, next couple of years are gonna be pretty heated in the CPU world...love it!

Can it really be that AMD is once again kicking ass and taking names??
I think Ryzen is going on the Christmas list so I won't feel like a piker.

EPYC has the core density market on lock down. Especially when software vendors are starting to license per socket. EPYC makes financial sense.

Digitalocean offers single core hosting for $5/mo ($0.007 per hour). Their high perf hosting is $40/mo for two cores though ($0.060 per hour, or $0.030 per core/hr).

Wow.

I’m not sure if I’m more impressed with EPYC or that I’m reading an informative press release excerpt from Oracle.

I’m assuming the bare metal instance is where a customer would get access to 64 cores?

It's so sad that this is coming out from a company where you can't trust anything that they say though. Sigh.

Wow.

I’m not sure if I’m more impressed with EPYC or that I’m reading an informative press release excerpt from Oracle.

I’m assuming the bare metal instance is where a customer would get access to 64 cores?
I believe Bare metal is unvirtualized hardware, so you'd get the whole 2U server (or whatever size it is)

Back