Opty 175 Installed - My feedback

JD03Cobra

Limp Gawd
Made the upgrade from an Athlon [email protected] to the Opty. I purchased OEM from Newegg for 179.00 (too hard to pass up). My stepping is CCBBE 0617EPMW which I was very pleased to see. I was nervous...I'm currently running at 250x11 or 2750 with no issues. My idle Temp is 46c (using Zalman 9500) which is quite a bit warmer than the Athlon 3700 (idled at 39c). I would like to push it a little farther but I'm concerned about the CPU Temp and I'm not interested in water just yet.

My 3D06 overall score went from 6600 to 8274! My CPU score when from 910 to 2014 :D Boot up time seems very close. Actually seemed like the 3700 was slightly quicker but in Windows I can tell a huge difference in applications. Not too mention using dual cores playing Quake! :cool:

Overall I'm very pleased for the price upgrade.

System Setup:
Opteron [email protected]
Asus A8N Premium
2G Corsair XMS
EVGA 8800 GTS
WD 10,000

Cool.

Validates my CPU score (stock X2 4800+) of 1812. My 3DMark06 is at 6595 at 1920x1200 (default settings otherwise), so I'm interested to know what resolution you ran your tests at, for comparison.

Your temps sound about normal (I'm getting 46-50, but that's running Folding@Home on one core constantly). Honestly, going from an X2 3800+ to an X2 4800+ hasn't changed my games much; the 8800GTS is the primary factor. I'm sure that if I tested some video encoding (which I haven't done in awhile) that it would be faster.

I have the free download of 3dMark06 so I believe it's at 1280x1024 which I ran on my 23" Sony. I would assume my score would be closer to yours at 1920x1200.

Playing Quake 4 is a major improvement. I run all settings on high at 1920x1200. After adding the Opty it was like upgrading the video card. I can't believe how much faster it seems. I have more testing to do in the game to verify of any increase in FPS if that makes any sense. Either way the game play got better.

One of the things I have noticed is both cores working when in BF2 and Rainbow 6 Vegas. I know they aren't true dual core video games but a second core is being used for something.

I still need to figure out my ideal vcore setting. I'm currently at 1.45 and would like to go lower if I can maintain the current speed with stability.

That's great man; I also ordered the 175 off Newegg for 175 last Friday. Hopefully I'll get a CCBBE stepping too. I'm currently in the process of RMA'ing my PSU (crappy Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W), so I probably won't get around to installing it until next week. I'll be sure to let you all know how my overclock goes once I get everything running smoothly again.

Good luck with yours :).

Well so far so good. I was able to lower the Vcore to 1.4 and up the clock speed. I now idle at 39c and very stable. I'm not done yet :cool: I also noticed that it's a Toledo and not a Denmark as advertised. Not sure what that means but I have a feeling I might hit 3Ghz on fan.

CPUZ.jpg

Well so far so good. I was able to lower the Vcore to 1.4 and up the clock speed. I now idle at 39c and very stable. I'm not done yet :cool: I also noticed that it's a Toledo and not a Denmark as advertised. Not sure what that means but I have a feeling I might hit 3Ghz on fan.

CPUZ.jpg

Looks like AMD is subtlety trying to get back in the game. I wonder what the new architecture will be? How I drool... *drools*

Just thought I'd update, my 175 CCBBE 0610DPMW is running happily at 2.86 GHZ, 11x multi, 266 divider, 3x HTT multi, 259 HTT freq.

Asus a8n sli premium with 2G ocz pc3200 platinum 2-3-2-5 timing, water on the CPU and GPU.

It was booting fine at 2.92 but had problems, 2.87 crashed after 2 hours of gaming, I think 2.86 seems like the sweet spot for now. Very happy with th results, the extra $30 was well spent IMO, I couldn't get my old x2 4200 or opty 165 (CCBBE) to OC for squat!

Back