Opty 175 Heat + OC Questions

pigwalk

[H]F Junkie
Have the Opty 175 in the sig cooled by a Thermalright TR-90 with a 100mm Scythe fan. Midly Oc'ed, only running around 2.5, 247 FSB or so. But when I orthos test, it regularly gets up to 60c. 34/27c (coretemp per core) Idle, that seems pretty good, but it seems like the load temp is a little high? Just to give it a shot, I dumped on a little 92mm fan I had around (louder, sounds like it moves more air?) and there wasn't really any change.Stock volts, 1.3vid, Toledo core, I've tried to push it farther than 2.55ish but it gets unstable when I get that high on stock volts, even with a mem divider. Add volts and the temps render it either unstable or un-usable. That sound about right? Is there any way to check the stepping besides unmounting the HS and reading it off the chip?

On a side note, a few months ago the chipset fan took a dump (thank god that thing was loud as hell) and I really didn't see any stability issues. Just pointed a 120mm in it's direction and it's been solid at 2.5 like before. Do I need to be careful about pushing the FSB higher now?

IMO it really depends on how comfortable you are and how often it will reach that temp. My opteron 165 regularly reaches 60C load, and its been fine for the past ~3 years.

Well I run pretty much the same setup.

Replace opty 175 with 4200+, but same heatsink (although its been lapped, that didn't help much). With mine bumped up to 1.4v, it wont pass 53c in orthros, and it would be close to 60c prior to it being lapped. What case do you have?

The fan on my DFI NF4 SLI-DR has taken a crap in each of the 3 different boards I have owned, temps would only rise by 3c. If I took the shroud and the fan off and put an 80mm blowing on it, it would actually drop the temps a few degrees compared with the fan it had at full bore (loud as hell).

My overclock on this processor has been fine for over a year, and I had a single core opteron on this setup before that. Although I think the power circuitry on this board is about to shit the bed.

Another question I ask is, whats the week code and stepping, like mine is a week 0719VPMW. The early ones had problems with the IHS not being in full contact with the processor from what I have heard.

Is there anywhere in CPUZ to get the stepping and week code or would I have to remove the HSF and check the chip?

Also, I have the HS/F blow air up into the PSU intake fan. Would I be better off facing it to blow air out the back exhaust?

Case is a Thermaltake Tsunami.

Forget about lapping the Opty 175. De-lid that sucker and bring the load temps way down as well as make the core load temps within 2c of each other.

I had my Opty 175 (worst stepping for OC) running at 2.75Ghz stable.

this was with higher voltage than you are running and with the same heatsink in my sig.

Never went over 60c on Orthos load.

Is there anywhere in CPUZ to get the stepping and week code or would I have to remove the HSF and check the chip?

Also, I have the HS/F blow air up into the PSU intake fan. Would I be better off facing it to blow air out the back exhaust?

Case is a Thermaltake Tsunami.

Nope, only way to figure it out is to take the heatsink off. Although using CPU-Z you can figure out what revision is it. E4 or E6. E6 = newer, but I don't know what week they moved to that new revision.

Is your rear fan an 80 or 120. If its an 80 then face it up to the psu, if its a 120 then out the back. You also may want to check to see what direction the the CPU fan is blowing if there is any question about that.

cpu fan is blowing into the cooler and up into the PSU 120 fan. Exhaust fan is a 120 as well, AND there's a 80mm case fan on the side blowing air right on top of it. Rev is an E6. I did re-mount the fan and it did help get temps 2-3 degrees cooler. I might just reapply paste to it this weekend, I need to get some AS for the wife's computer anyway. Thanks for the info guys!

cpu fan is blowing into the cooler and up into the PSU 120 fan. Exhaust fan is a 120 as well, AND there's a 80mm case fan on the side blowing air right on top of it. Rev is an E6. I did re-mount the fan and it did help get temps 2-3 degrees cooler. I might just reapply paste to it this weekend, I need to get some AS for the wife's computer anyway. Thanks for the info guys!

The fan blowing directly on top of it may be causing turbulence, try turning it around, see if anything changes, I could be wrong but it couldn't hurt.

that sounds pretty hot
I have an Opteron 185 in my Voodoo ENVY U709 (D900K) and it peaks at 55C.
The heatsink is just over 1Lb and their are two fans cooling it.

You should try cleaning your heatsink and maybe upgrading your fan.
60C is an okay load temperature, but if you upgrade the fan I am sure it will run cooler.

That scythe fan looks like crap, get a decent EBM Papst and you are set.

K-TRON

Seems a bit hot to me. I have an opteron 180 in my shuttle @ 2.8~Ghz hitting 55c now and then under full load, and that's in a Shuttle.

x2 3800+ manchester does 2.9 @ 1.6V and gets up to 70C. I run it at 2.6 1.47V only gets 60C

ive even pushed my volts to 1.7 and tryied 3.0Ghz wouldent post tho and ive ran 1.7v for about a hour in orthos and chip didnt fry...

When you try to go past 2.55ghz, are you remembering to lower the HT multi? have to set it on 3 to go past that. My old 939 chip took 1.5 vcore to get 2.7ghz though. It made a pretty good bit of heat there. Stayed in the upper 50s with a XP90c and a powerful fan.

Back