Optimus watercooling, has anyone used their products?

Whoa, a pure silver cold plate? That would seem to be expensive. I am going to guess 400 plus given the going rate of new copper blocks. I can maybe see that if you delidded and had nothing between the block and the die, otherwise there are too many variables for there to be meaningful gains, no? That is one reason I am leaning towards using that old gold block with a new build. Will I see a noticable difference if I spend 200 bucks on an Optimus block? Am I going to see 7-14 degree difference on a 3700x with a factory heatspreader? If the answer is yes, i may shell out. Looks wise, I have to be honest, that non-rgb supremacy gold is very similar. Its a square, tasteful block.
Aqua computers offers their blocks with a 925 silver option at about $100 more than the copper version. 999 silver would add cost, but should yield a 7% improvement over copper at 20c. I think 925 silver is 5% better at conducting heat than copper, but I haven’t looked it up recently.

Given the best to worst blocks in the tech power up optimus review was 4%, switching materials would have a bigger effect than anything the different blocks did performance wise.

Ha! I so want to blather on for a paragraph about artisan blocks created by fierce commitment to shifting the paradigm or something.

But I'd rather just see the Optimus pump/res and GPU blocks.

Well, I should've listened to the others here. It has been two weeks from when I placed my order and no block. Their website indicates 1-2 weeks for new orders, but there are people who have been waiting even longer than I have. I emailed Optimus and private messaged Optimus WC on the OCN forums regarding an update on my order but I didn't receive a response. It wasn't until I called them out in the Optimus thread on OCN for their lack of ANY communication did I get a response that they're working through orders but are unable to provide order status updates (not sure how they don't have an order queue with expected fulfillment dates). They've been touting that they have been working with manufacturers for the past month to speed things up yet I still see numerous people posting in the OCN thread saying they've been waiting weeks.

I'm starting to really regret not picking up a Heatkiller IV Pro during the Memorial Day weekend sale at Performance-PCs but instead opt'd for one of these blocks. I have all my water cooling parts sitting in the corner waiting for this block to come in and I have absolutely no idea how much longer it will take. Their customer service, at least for new orders, is basically non-existent. They charged me $143 and have been sitting on my order; I will likely open a dispute with Paypal if my order isn't fulfilled soon.

At this moment, I would not recommend placing any new orders with Optimus and suggest looking elsewhere. At least until they get their act together.

Unfortunately I moved forward with cancelling my order. Surprisingly, I sent Optimus an email to cancel my order and it was cancelled within 15 minutes. But when I sent them an email last week regarding an order status update it was never answered. I might buy one of their blocks in the future, but if I do I'm going through a third party. I really hope they can get things moving along as their products have been well received by users...

I ordered an Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge from Amazon and it should be here Sunday. Igorslab confirmed that the block's microfin array is large enough to cover all the chiplets on a Ryzen 3900/3950X so cooling should be pretty good. Saved myself $60 going with the block as well.

Last edited:
Back from the dead but I thought I should reply

I ordered a nickle plated AMD Foundation with a black aluminum hold-down plate and acrylic top on April 16th. It just got here today.

They just updated their site today about shipping delays.

Back from the dead but I thought I should reply

I ordered a nickle plated AMD Foundation with a black aluminum hold-down plate and acrylic top on April 16th. It just got here today.

They just updated their site today about shipping delays.

How does it look L?

Attachments

• 20200612_184655[1].jpg
    20200612_184655[1].jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200612_184737[1].jpg
    20200612_184737[1].jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200612_184856[1].jpg
    20200612_184856[1].jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 0
Dang, same exact one that I ordered. Guess I would've still been waiting a while if they just started fulfilling orders from mid-April. Looks good, let us know how you like it!

I've been thinking about building a loop with an Optimus block and pump/res. It sounds like I'd need to order now if I want to have it in August, which isn't ideal. I might have to check out other options.

Yeah- they make a bunch of medical stuff so Covid hit them twice. They are starting to catch up, and have joked that they are never doing pre-sales again.

The pump is gorgeous, and I hope to be able to use it in my next build.

Hehe, kind of needs to be.

20 years and I’m still like ehmagod Kyle.

True enough, I don’t know what I was expecting. Having the mount part of the block like the heat killer just kicks it up a level. It kinda reminds me of the old Slot A coolers actually.

I’d only seen air cooled TR before.

Now to decide what to do, it’s been 2+ months since I ordered it, I’m just thinking I should just wait for the 4000 series Threadripper. Waiting on the Nvidia refresh too and I have a serious case of the ‘can’t be fucked’s when thinking about an incremental wc build

20 years and I’m still like ehmagod Kyle.

True enough, I don’t know what I was expecting. Having the mount part of the block like the heat killer just kicks it up a level. It kinda reminds me of the old Slot A coolers actually.

I’d only seen air cooled TR before.

Now to decide what to do, it’s been 2+ months since I ordered it, I’m just thinking I should just wait for the 4000 series Threadripper. Waiting on the Nvidia refresh too and I have a serious case of the ‘can’t be fucked’s when thinking about an incremental wc build
It might be another year before threadripper 4K, and who knows if it will need different optimizations block wise. I would vote to get the current threadripper and then evaluate again next year.

Maybe wait for the video cards about to drop on both sides, but I also wouldn't wait on the next Threadripper. And, Daaannng that's a pretty block. I'm looking to update my MB/processor next year, and a Ryzen makes the most sense. But that block really makes me want to go TR just for that beaut!

Does the threadripper block fit threadripper pro? I’m sure someone here must be able to use the full might of a watercooled 3995x w/ 2TB ram!

Finally slapped mine on today. Sitting at a cool ~40 "ish" degrees C on my 3900x and the much more enjoyable hum of a D5 pump.

I had the stock AMD Wrath cooler so anything was seriously better.

It should- The socket is the same according to Wiki

Yeah, 4000 is the last SP3 so it should be fine. It's what I'm banking on and I'll be cranky if not.

My case is 4 weeks away so we'll see what's what. Looks like the Threadripper Pro is gonna be a halfway house to Epyc but I don't need the bandwidth on this (though it's interesting in a work context). Still really want a 4000 series if I can but I'm just waiting for Ampere Titan (or 3080Ti if I have to). As suggested I'll just wait to see what happens with NVidia later in the year and make a call then as to what to do with this. It is very pretty though, they've got some high grade cnc equipment that's for damn sure.

I've been feeling a black and gold theme for my new build. Not sure I can take the shame/embaressment of sending off the Optimus to get the raw copper gold plated though.:dead:

Ha!

And I hear you. I know Ryzen is best bang for the buck (by far), but TR motherboards look so good and the Optimus block is so pretty... I'm still running an original Ryzen 1700 and want to upgrade so bad!

Ha!

And I hear you. I know Ryzen is best bang for the buck (by far), but TR motherboards look so good and the Optimus block is so pretty... I'm still running an original Ryzen 1700 and want to upgrade so bad!

Sensible answer, go put $2500 in a tracker (maybe wait a month or two) and look back in 10 years. You won't miss more cores in the next 12 months. More so as next gen consoles start taking hold.
Actual Iratus answer. Screw it, regret the things you do, not the things you don't.

I've got a custom Define 7 distribution plate being done by Singularity Computers to go with my Optimus TR waterblock and I'm probably going to go and get a full set of EKWB Torque fittings even though I already have a full (minus one invisible) set of Phanteks ones.. This is _not_ a sensible use of money.

Luckily Lisa Su, Jensen Huang and Jeff Bezos have been very kind to me.

Back