Optimus watercooling, has anyone used their products?

Just ordered an Optimus Foundation for my 3700X. Surprisingly, there aren't any professional reviews of the AMD blocks, but from what I'm reading online from user experience is that they seem to make more of an impact than the Intel blocks. The plate and micro-fin array is so large on these blocks that they apparently cover the entirety of the asymmetric Ryzen 3000 chiplets which results in rather significant cooling performance gains (some reported 2-4°C decrease in load temps over other top performers such as the Heatkiller IV Pro and Magnitude blocks).
Be sure to post back with your experience!

Seconded! And I understand that the microfin area improvement means that these work better the harder you push them.

Just ordered an Optimus Foundation for my 3700X. Surprisingly, there aren't any professional reviews of the AMD blocks, but from what I'm reading online from user experience is that they seem to make more of an impact than the Intel blocks. The plate and micro-fin array is so large on these blocks that they apparently cover the entirety of the asymmetric Ryzen 3000 chiplets which results in rather significant cooling performance gains (some reported 2-4°C decrease in load temps over other top performers such as the Heatkiller IV Pro and Magnitude blocks).
Which option did you choose for the cold plate finish, Raw Copper or Pro-XE Nickel?
Just curious is all. Thanks.

Which option did you choose for the cold plate finish, Raw Copper or Pro-XE Nickel?
Just curious is all. Thanks.
Nickel for purely aesthetic reasons since performance between the two will likely be 99% the same.

Went black aluminum mounting bracket, nickel cold plate and plexi cover.

I was looking at purchasing 2 2080ti blocks, Intel, and amd block - but no response from them.

I stumbled upon optimus watercooling products, has anyone used their products before?

https://optimuspc.com/

I wouldn't bother. I ordered a block from them on april 12th. I still haven't received it. I haven't received any reply to email, twitter, or the form on their website. Honestly save your time and money and go somewhere else until they can actually provide decent customer service and/or fulfill orders.

They advertise new blocks for new products but can't even ship paid ones months later.

If you can get it from a reseller that actually has stock, might not be bad. But I don't see how they can honor any warranty when they ignore any customer communication and don't even have a phone number.

I agree with Sharky - emailed multiple times via the contact form, messaged on here and ocn. Never received a reply.

I’ve been buying aqua computer parts exclusively for the last 15 years and wanted to change things up - optimus was not the answer 😕

1590951056790.png

I wouldn't bother. I ordered a block from them on april 12th. I still haven't received it. I haven't received any reply to email, twitter, or the form on their website. Honestly save your time and money and go somewhere else until they can actually provide decent customer service and/or fulfill orders.

They advertise new blocks for new products but can't even ship paid ones months later.

If you can get it from a reseller that actually has stock, might not be bad. But I don't see how they can honor any warranty when they ignore any customer communication and don't even have a phone number.

You ordered a product which is made in the USA in the middle of a pandemic at a time when most of the country was shut down and the manufacturing businesses which were open shifted production to much needed medical supplies or working with minimal staff to avoid spreading the virus. I would never expect to have a product like that without delays. The shortage of PSU's, CPU's and GPU's are because China shut down for maybe 2 months. Give it time. It's a young company and odds are that they laid off a good chunk of their staff just to stay afloat.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Optimus_WC/status/1245467460360261633

Retooling takes time and it seems people are starting to get parts.

OptimusWaterCooling might be able to shed light on the lack of communication.

I agree with Sharky - emailed multiple times via the contact form, messaged on here and ocn. Never received a reply.

I’ve been buying aqua computer parts exclusively for the last 15 years and wanted to change things up - optimus was not the answer 😕

I understand your frustration but you are supporting a made in USA product which these days is sometimes worth the extra cost or time. I am sure they will reach out soon now that everyone is coming back to work.

If anything they have someone on overclock.net posting almost daily.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-...-waterblock-106.html#/topics/1733810?page=349

Last edited:
You ordered a product which is made in the USA in the middle of a pandemic at a time when most of the country was shut down and the manufacturing businesses which were open shifted production to much needed medical supplies or working with minimal staff to avoid spreading the virus. I would never expect to have a product like that without delays. The shortage of PSU's, CPU's and GPU's are because China shut down for maybe 2 months. Give it time. It's a young company and odds are that they laid off a good chunk of their staff just to stay afloat.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Optimus_WC/status/1245467460360261633

Retooling takes time and it seems people are starting to get parts.

OptimusWaterCooling might be able to shed light on the lack of communication.

I understand your frustration but you are supporting a made in USA product which these days is sometimes worth the extra cost or time. I am sure they will reach out soon now that everyone is coming back to work.

If anything they have someone on overclock.net posting almost daily.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-...-waterblock-106.html#/topics/1733810?page=349
I would understand the pandemic logistics, but they on Twitter are advertising new products and give aways. If they are advertising availability and giving away stuff, that logic doesn't seem to make much much sense.

That being said my real complaint is the lack of any communication, and customer service. That requires minimum effort and email is available during pandemics.

No responses or any order updates for two months? Ya not excusable.

I even just opened up a case with PayPal to just see if they would even respond to that. No response.

I had to escalate to hopefully get my money back. Waste of time. That banner on their website wasn't there when I ordered. But again, if they just responded and gave me a estimated date, we'd be fine.

Would you pay someone for a product or service and not hear anything for two months, and get ignored, and consider that a good use of your money?

Last edited:
I would understand the pandemic logistics, but they on Twitter are advertising new products and give aways. If they are advertising availability and giving away stuff, that logic doesn't seem to make much much sense.

That being said my real complaint is the lack of any communication, and customer service. That requires minimum effort and email is available during pandemics.

No responses or any order updates for two months? Ya not excusable.

I even just opened up a case with PayPal to just see if they would even respond to that. No response.

I had to escalate to hopefully get my money back. Waste of time. That banner on their website wasn't there when I ordered. But again, if they just responded and gave me a estimated date, we'd be fine.

Would you pay someone for a product or service and not hear anything for two months, and get ignored, and consider that a good use of your money?

Try the overclock.net link I posted, there seems to be someone on there almost daily responding to questions. Doesn't hurt to post and ask what's going on.

Not sure if it will help but I made a post to see if the rep can come to this thread to help you out.

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of communication! Definitely understand the frustration (we've been frustrated as well, covid and everything).

So there are a bunch of thing going on. One, covid really threw us for a loop. No layoffs and no one is sick, but our suppliers for everything from packaging to anodizing shut down or have been severely delayed or prioritize other companies. So like literally months now to get brackets anodized.

When it comes to Threadripper and GPU blocks, we're now shipping TR blocks, slowly but surely. We took a long time from announcing preorders to shipping, so many complications, but also discoveries in ways to make the block better. We didn't want to release something that had extra potential hidden there we just had to perfect. Like, we found an extra 4C of performance on TR.

And because one thing gets delayed, then everything gets delayed, complications like crazy.

For responses on the website, we're a tiny company and some of our team is taking half days or working from home when they can, some have had serious family issues with parents being sick and covid making everything 10x harder. We're in chicago, so it's tough to get to everything right now, city off/on/off/on lockdowns, etc. Not the best excuse, but that's where we're at :(

The good news is our suppliers are now up to full(ish) production, unless the riots have damaged our suppliers in downtown chicago (it's possible, ugh, we'll need to check). And we're really ramping up production on all the main product. So hopefully we'll have weathered this crazy times and be able to really get away ahead on shipping and expand distribution.

Also, either hit me up through email or on OCN or DMs on Twitter, don't check here that often unless someone pings me to :) And keep bugging us to respond, I know it's annoying, but we'll do the right thing even if it takes a while :)

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of communication! Definitely understand the frustration (we've been frustrated as well, covid and everything).

So there are a bunch of thing going on. One, covid really threw us for a loop. No layoffs and no one is sick, but our suppliers for everything from packaging to anodizing shut down or have been severely delayed or prioritize other companies. So like literally months now to get brackets anodized.

When it comes to Threadripper and GPU blocks, we're now shipping TR blocks, slowly but surely. We took a long time from announcing preorders to shipping, so many complications, but also discoveries in ways to make the block better. We didn't want to release something that had extra potential hidden there we just had to perfect. Like, we found an extra 4C of performance on TR.

And because one thing gets delayed, then everything gets delayed, complications like crazy.

For responses on the website, we're a tiny company and some of our team is taking half days or working from home when they can, some have had serious family issues with parents being sick and covid making everything 10x harder. We're in chicago, so it's tough to get to everything right now, city off/on/off/on lockdowns, etc. Not the best excuse, but that's where we're at :(

The good news is our suppliers are now up to full(ish) production, unless the riots have damaged our suppliers in downtown chicago (it's possible, ugh, we'll need to check). And we're really ramping up production on all the main product. So hopefully we'll have weathered this crazy times and be able to really get away ahead on shipping and expand distribution.

Also, either hit me up through email or on OCN or DMs on Twitter, don't check here that often unless someone pings me to :) And keep bugging us to respond, I know it's annoying, but we'll do the right thing even if it takes a while :)

Thank you for the quick response Sharky7337 hopefully will reach out and get everything sorted with his order.

Like he said they are a small company so a ocn post is the best way to get their attention

Thank you for the quick response Sharky7337 hopefully will reach out and get everything sorted with his order.

I already have chased and done most of that. Now they want me to do more of the same and sign up for a different forum, to hopefully not get ignored?

I have done multiple tweets, multiple emails on the website form. Clearly this is dysfunctional.

You put a form on your website you don't respond to? Maybe you need to change that?

I tweeted multiple times already.

You want people to chase around to various message boards?

Sorry at this point I have already put enough effort in. That's the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing expecting different results.

SmartSelect_20200601-070943_Twitter.jpg

SmartSelect_20200601-071027_Twitter.jpg

I would strongly consider where you spend your hard earned money if it takes this much effort to get acknowledged.

I would love to support an American company, however, if this is acceptable treatment of customers, I would rather buy a block from timbuktu.

Last edited:
Hey James,

I totally understand the frustration, it's something that is really weighing on us heavily and we're doing everything to get past it. All of our best planning gets thrown out the window if something happens.

We're a tiny company (under 10 people) with everyone doing multiple roles. We don't have dedicated customer service, like I'm one of the top guys, but everyone is a "top guy" in this company. So when we're not making product or shipping product, we can answer emails and questions after hours.

Covid has been really tough because family is causing challenges. We're trying to be good to all our people, so if someone has a family crisis (and everyone has had it happen), then they take days off. We'd rather be accommodating to our team, so that's really where all our money is going -- paying team salaries and keeping up production.

So we have a really, really hard time estimating when a single block is going to ship. For example, we'll get a batch of a few hundred Foundation brackets anodized. But our anodizer shuts down for a few weeks, and has all our brackets at their facility. Then, they rush to get back to speed and like half of the brackets turn out bad. Like with threadripper brackets, a bunch have wonky black anodizing shadows which is something we haven't seen before and now we need to go deal with our suppliers or find new ones.

And we've been wanting to send out an email with an exact ETA for delivery, but we're waiting on our partners and then things get delayed. Also, because we manufacture everything, our turnaround time can be fast or delayed depending on suppliers. Which is unlike overseas manufacturing which is all in giant batches with month-long lead times. So instead of saying XYZ date, we're simply trying to push everything forward as fast as possible. And we're not going to ship half baked or bad product. Sometimes it can get done in a week, sometimes it's taking a month or more.

So I know this isn't the best answer, but the best we can do is be fully transparent with what's going on internally. And we can do is promise to try and do better in the future. And we do know that as covid issues get figured out, life will go back to normal. We'll have more information on shipping early this week. Again, I know this is super annoying and we can be better, but we here at Optimus have been on the other side (after all, we're PC builders who have been liquid cooling for years) and we're working super, super hard to fix this. We've been spending every waking hour working on improvements. So while we won't see the fruits of this this week, this summer we are aiming to have production really ramped up and far, far ahead of orders. So even if our partners screw up batches, we can ship out product next day.

OptimusWaterCooling

Thanks for the update! IMO family first, business second.

Any chance of a silver block (instead of copper) sometime in the future? I’m not in a huge rush to get anything till Ryzen 4 comes out, but once it’s out I want To go top end.

I have no idea if silver can be easily swapped for copper, but if so it would be great to get that extra degree or two from silver.

OptimusWaterCooling

Thanks for the update! IMO family first, business second.

Any chance of a silver block (instead of copper) sometime in the future? I’m not in a huge rush to get anything till Ryzen 4 comes out, but once it’s out I want To go top end.

I have no idea if silver can be easily swapped for copper, but if so it would be great to get that extra degree or two from silver.

Short answer: Yes. Long answer: there are soooo many considerations. Sterling silver )92.5%) vs pure 99.99% silver ( pure is better). Pure is $18/oz right now. We haven't tested it all yet, though we think there is performance to be had. And the price...yeah it's anything but cheap, looking at hundreds of dollars for the plate upgrade. Of course, to us, "the best in the world" is worth it :D but we'd want to get some community feedback to see if people are interested.

its not worth the cost, $0.15/oz vs $10/oz
Aqua computer silver blocks are around a $100 upgrade over copper. Given I’ve been using the same swiftech block for around 7 years now, it’s like a $14/year upgrade to go silver. It also saves adding a kill coil to the loop, so it shaved off a component I would add. Seems worth it to me for a couple degrees saved.

Short answer: Yes. Long answer: there are soooo many considerations. Sterling silver )92.5%) vs pure 99.99% silver ( pure is better). Pure is $18/oz right now. We haven't tested it all yet, though we think there is performance to be had. And the price...yeah it's anything but cheap, looking at hundreds of dollars for the plate upgrade. Of course, to us, "the best in the world" is worth it :D but we'd want to get some community feedback to see if people are interested.
Awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear! What I would want to see:

An analysis of the performance increase going to silver (expected improvement 1.5-2c over copper for example) and then an independent confirmation of the upgrade.

Top end cost probably can’t be more than $200 over the copper block. Even if I were planning on using the same block for 10 years, I would probably go copper if the price were >200 to upgrade.

well, you know one is. i originally had my price at $17/oz and dropped it due to conflicting google results. guess i was closer the first time. i really dont know if its worth it for like 2C...

Awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear! What I would want to see:

An analysis of the performance increase going to silver (expected improvement 1.5-2c over copper for example) and then an independent confirmation of the upgrade.

Top end cost probably can’t be more than $200 over the copper block. Even if I were planning on using the same block for 10 years, I would probably go copper if the price were >200 to upgrade.
you gonna cover R&D? a $300+ block for 2c, more money tan sense? need the biggest e-peen? i dont get it.

you gonna cover R&D? a $300+ block for 2c, more money tan sense? need the biggest e-peen? i dont get it.
What % is it of total loop cost? $300 is less than my first custom loop cost me, and since I’ll be reusing parts, total cost will be less. I’ll use the new cpu 4950x (or whatever top end part is) for at least 5 years (I’m still using a core 2 quad for BOINC 12 years later, so I’ll likely be using the CPU for much longer). $60/year or less isn’t that unreasonable for the best possible performance. Besides, isn’t this the [H]ard forum?

What % is it of total loop cost? $300 is less than my first custom loop cost me, and since I’ll be reusing parts, total cost will be less. I’ll use the new cpu 4950x (or whatever top end part is) for at least 5 years (I’m still using a core 2 quad for BOINC 12 years later, so I’ll likely be using the CPU for much longer). $60/year or less isn’t that unreasonable for the best possible performance. Besides, isn’t this the [H]ard forum?
yeah, not all of us like trowing away money. more power to you e-peen.

yeah, not all of us like trowing away money. more power to you e-peen.
Aww, [ S ]oft :(. Let me guess, you skip custom loops all together in favor of a cheaper AIO?

Tell you what, I’ll take all the savings by skipping the RGB and apply it to the block. Even at $300 I’ll come out ahead by skipping RGB fans alone.[/S]

Aww, [ S ]oft :(. Let me guess, you skip custom loops all together in favor of a cheaper AIO?

Tell you what, I’ll take all the savings by skipping the RGB and apply it to the block. Even at $300 I’ll come out ahead by skipping RGB fans alone.[/S]
i was [H]ard long before you were.
i just dont seen the point, its been done before and was a waste of time and money. but you do you and wave the giant e-peen around.

i was [H]ard long before you were. .
First loop used a danger den maze on an athlon tbird. Only reason my registration date is so old is I lost it during a forum move and didn’t bother to ask for it to be carried over.

i just dont seen the point, its been done before and was a waste of time and money. but you do you and wave the giant e-peen around
With that attitude, why are you in this thread at all? Couldn’t you find a block within 7% performance For $50 elsewhere, making this product a waste of time and money? Furthermore, you must not use compression fittings, hard lines, and anything beyond the cheapest sleeve bearing fans do to expense, right?

First loop used a danger den maze on an athlon tbird. Only reason my registration date is so old is I lost it during a forum move and didn’t bother to ask for it to be carried over.

With that attitude, why are you in this thread at all? Couldn’t you find a block within 7% performance For $50 elsewhere, making this product a waste of time and money? Furthermore, you must not use compression fittings, hard lines, and anything beyond the cheapest sleeve bearing fans do to expense, right?
wow good for you. i used a homemade block, a pond pump and a car heater core.
lol ok then...
im done replying

Kids, play nice.

But I do agree that I want a good looking block without the RGB silliness. Silver might be a bit crazy performance per dollar, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious. And I've been leaning toward a new MB/Proc next year and assumed it would be a Ryzen (replacing the current 1700x) but that Threadripper block looks so good it's making be reconsider. Plud I have to admit the symmetrical RAM banks sooth the soul a little...

Kids, play nice.

But I do agree that I want a good looking block without the RGB silliness. Silver might be a bit crazy performance per dollar, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious. And I've been leaning toward a new MB/Proc next year and assumed it would be a Ryzen (replacing the current 1700x) but that Threadripper block looks so good it's making be reconsider. Plud I have to admit the symmetrical RAM banks sooth the soul a little...
I really considered the threadripper route, but with multiple reports of threadrippers frying I decided I didn’t need that headache. If I find one 4950 (or whatever they call it) isn’t enough, I can buy a second one. Then I can setup HA VMs too.

Did you hear any stories of frying TRs from reputable sources? I know they are big chips and a little power hungry, but I didn't hear any stories that didn't reek of poor cooling... And I'm drawing a blank- what are HA virtual machines?

But at the end of the day, the Ryzen's are so good for what I'd use them for that it's hard to justify even if I really like the look of that block.

There are definitely customer applications where 2c matters and cost doesn't :)

For Threadripper, the cooling out there is really, really, really bad. Our normal AMD block has more surface area than any Threadripper block. And TR is like 4 Ryzens in one, so no surprise it's beating the hell out of normal cooling, esp since it can go up to 800w no problem.

The good news is our block is looking around 6c-10c improvement vs other waterblocks, based on early customer feedback. Right now, we're doing a rolling update to the blocks as well, that gives an extra 2-4c vs the first blocks. Obvious caveat that it's impossible to know if the results will stack for the people that are getting the big numbers right now (hard to imagine 14c improvement) but we'll see feedback soon.

Did you hear any stories of frying TRs from reputable sources? I know they are big chips and a little power hungry, but I didn't hear any stories that didn't reek of poor cooling... And I'm drawing a blank- what are HA virtual machines?

But at the end of the day, the Ryzen's are so good for what I'd use them for that it's hard to justify even if I really like the look of that block.
I believe that Zarathustra here on the forums has lost 2 TR, but he never updated his build thread to confirm if the second was dead.

H.igh A.vailability V.irtual M.achine. Run a second copy of a vm so if one goes down, no service is lost. I would consider making my freenas highly available, to keep peppa pig recordings online in case of hardware failure for my 3 year old. Critical stuff there!!

A few years ago I bought the gold plated version of EK's Supremacy block because, well it was gold, and only 30 dollars more. Why would silver cost more than that? Just curious, not trying to start trouble.

A few years ago I bought the gold plated version of EK's Supremacy block because, well it was gold, and only 30 dollars more. Why would silver cost more than that? Just curious, not trying to start trouble.
i was assuming he didnt mean plated....

Whoa, a pure silver cold plate? That would seem to be expensive. I am going to guess 400 plus given the going rate of new copper blocks. I can maybe see that if you delidded and had nothing between the block and the die, otherwise there are too many variables for there to be meaningful gains, no? That is one reason I am leaning towards using that old gold block with a new build. Will I see a noticable difference if I spend 200 bucks on an Optimus block? Am I going to see 7-14 degree difference on a 3700x with a factory heatspreader? If the answer is yes, i may shell out. Looks wise, I have to be honest, that non-rgb supremacy gold is very similar. Its a square, tasteful block.

We are talking solid silver blocks (well, cold plate and acetal top more than likely) like Cathar’s solid silver storm block years ago. Those blocks were like $90 in silver alone if I remember correctly.

Back