Optimus Mini-Three KEyboard in hand!!

Nomad

2[H]4U
I just got home a few minutes ago to find my Optimus Mini-Three keyboard in the mail. I ripped open the package and thought only long enough to grab my camera to snap some shots as I was getting it installed.

Here you go -

*history: I bought and paid for this back in February or March when they first went on sale. The original ship date was mid June (I think) but they finally shipped them out a few days ago.

The box contained a cardboard instruction sheet - telling me to download the application online at the Art Lebedev site. - http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-mini/

That was everything in the box.

I downloaded the drivers / application and installed them first...

Fired up the app - and then plugged in the usb cable. Eventually (after like 15 seconds) the add new hardware wizard came up. I gave the usual answers and saw this.

Here is the working unit. The layout is set to Global - unless you are looking at an application that is in your layout list (like IE, outlook, or WMP).

You can see the matching info in the screen.

I changed my global layout around just to try it out.

I am not sure how useful it will end up being. I am going to take it to work tomorrow to see what I can use it for there.

I was not all that interested in this little add-on - but my goal was their full sized keyboard. I figured that I could support them by buying the mini in hopes that they will get the backing to push the full sized keyboard sometime soon.

Let me know what you think.

Nomad

that's pretty neat looking. Like you said, it's probably not going to actually be very useful for anything, but it's cool regardless. I could see the cpu load and free memory things being useful, perhaps...I open up the task manager to look at that a lot.

That's a nice little set right there :) Personally I'd have no use for something like that for the price but count me in when the keyboard finally arrives.

I think that I prepaid like 125 + 10 shipping - the price has gone up quite a bit since then...

that thing is deffinately cool looking, but at $53.33 per key thats not cheap. If you apply that average cost per key to a stanard 104 key keyboard that works out to about $5550 for the full sized keyboard. Startin saving the pennies.

Blauman said:
that thing is deffinately cool looking, but at $53.33 per key thats not cheap. If you apply that average cost per key to a stanard 104 key keyboard that works out to about $5550 for the full sized keyboard. Startin saving the pennies.
The 3 key model has bigger keys, methinks.
But still....I'm anticipating at least $1k :eek:

It might just be cool enough to buy, until the LEDs burn out

(I think I hear the haters coming)...the next few posts will consist of "That company sucks", "They are retarded for thinking we will pay for crap like this" and "How much more expensive will computer hardware get."

I say, bravo to Nomad for supporting a company he believes in.

but I'm a lasy bastard. ;)

So does this 3-key unit effectively allow you to show "video" on a key? Would be kinda cool to have several different flicks playing on a keyboard. ;)

MERKMAN said:
but I'm a lasy bastard. ;)

So does this 3-key unit effectively allow you to show "video" on a key? Would be kinda cool to have several different flicks playing on a keyboard. ;)
Not a movie per se - but an animated gif can be used.

i think merkman wants keypr0n :p come to think of it, i like that idea...

Zinn said:
....I love made up internetisms :)

Unfortunately I think the keys only update at a rate of like 10fps or something.

I got one too, but mines [H]ard! here's a pic. :p

optimus_ocp.jpg

I really don't think the full-size keyboard is going to be very expensive. $250-$300, tops. Anything higher just isn't marketable.

General Crespin said:
I really don't think the full-size keyboard is going to be very expensive. $250-$300, tops. Anything higher just isn't marketable.

you don't think $300 is expensive for a keyboard? Man, I wish I had enough money for a 300 dollar keyboard to be "reasonable"

hey nomad can you post some size comparison pictures? I would be interested to see how large the keys are, say compared to a US quarter if you have that or a euro or a ruler.

nevermind, i guess they are 2x2 cm, not too shabby.

awesome...can you rotate the picture/animation? (within the keys) I could see this thing servo taped to the right side of the bezel of my flat panel vertically as an information meter.

looking at the links -- it looks like it can...sweet!

tetsulo

BronxBartoni said:
Cmon now, think you can pass that off? Give us a real pic, I want some [H]ard Optimus' !

hehe it was actually a lousy chop i did for kyle a long time ago so this thread kinda prompted me to dig it out, just goofin around ;)

I would definatly like more info on this, I got all kinds of mod ideas going thru my head at the moment. Some pics showing size as well as what can and cant be done with the displays, as in ratation, file formats it supports and stuff like that. The 3 screens are actual buttons are they not, if they are do they support macros and will the pics change with differantaps running, as in if I am playing Wow can i have something set up just for that game or is it just global settings?

Back