Optimizing Threadripper ? thread! How to get the most out of it

tived

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

I confess upfront - I don't really understand all the settings, so this is really a cry for help. How can I and others get the most out of their Threadripper system

Components
CPU
choice of 3 generations 19xxX, 29xxX and 39xxX and soon the Pro series (very exciting times)
Mainboard 12-13 for each generation (nearly) I haven't counted them
RAM - endless but maxed out at 256GB
Cooling - again endless in both Air and water cooling.
Storage - too many to count (single drive, RAID)
GPU - not enough supply ;-)

I know that each combination of components can make a difference but if there is a general guide and direction that those with greater knowledge here would like to share I would really appreciate it

at least I would learn something and so would a lot of other people here too, there are some really smart people here with a lot of good knowledge - thanks in advance for contributing

Merry Xmas 2020 and stay healthy

Henrik

Hi Guys,

I confess upfront - I don't really understand all the settings, so this is really a cry for help. How can I and others get the most out of their Threadripper system

Components
CPU
choice of 3 generations 19xxX, 29xxX and 39xxX and soon the Pro series (very exciting times)
Mainboard 12-13 for each generation (nearly) I haven't counted them
RAM - endless but maxed out at 256GB
Cooling - again endless in both Air and water cooling.
Storage - too many to count (single drive, RAID)
GPU - not enough supply ;-)

I know that each combination of components can make a difference but if there is a general guide and direction that those with greater knowledge here would like to share I would really appreciate it

at least I would learn something and so would a lot of other people here too, there are some really smart people here with a lot of good knowledge - thanks in advance for contributing

Merry Xmas 2020 and stay healthy

Henrik
Go over size and over capacity on everything. That way upgrades don't require replacement of stuff your using now. For case, power supply, fans, radiators, pumps, and ram try to start with to much. In the future buying the next gen tech is appealing, but target the bottle necks to see an improvemnt right now. If you want 256GB of ram, don't start with 4 x 16GB sticks. Cool a 3960x like it's a 3990X. Things like more ram, or a new gpu are much easier to replace than a radiator or power supply. First steal stuff out of an older build, then see what you must buy to power it up. You can run a new TR on 2 8GB sticks of ram, but don't try a 240mm AIO on a 3970X. Get a full size TR block. Run with drives you've got and then only buy the newest tech. Best Wishes.

Thanks Max,

I am ticking some of the boxes there, I have tried to build something that can last me for some years with room to improve.

I am going to us it for content creation 2D and I am trying to learn 3D still - building models which eventually will need rendering

optimisation, this isn’t to earn bragging rights of fastest etc but more what leavers do I need to change to make the system run at its best, yes - fast! But not necessarily fastest

So this is where I am at the moment

TRX40 DESIGNARE - THREADRIPPER 3960X G.Skill 3200 Ripjaws 4x32gb - ASUS RTX 2070 Super Dual...
2x Seagate 520 1tb NVME PCIe Gen4 BOOT RAID-0 - 3x Corsair MP600 2Tb NVME PCIe Gen4 + 1x Gigabyte Aorus 2Tb installed on AIC card (raid-0)
Corsair HX1200 - Fractal Design Define 7 XL - 2x Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme 280 with Optimus Absolute Threadripper 3+ cpu block

I got the two Alphacool because well I have never done water cooling. They fit in the system
Which means I have 2x 280mm radiators, 2x138ml reservoir and two pumps

Hi
I found this article on tuning the Threadripper AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3rd Gen Overclocking Deep Dive, feat. ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme | TechPowerUp I will have look to see if I can apply it to my Trx40 Designare

lol, don't even bother until you have serious and I mean serious freaking cooling. Threadrippers will eat up all the voltage you can throw at it IF... major if, you can keep it comfortably cool. That's not happening with your current setup. Hell that is not happening with my render monster either lol.

Reactions: tived
like this
lol, don't even bother until you have serious and I mean serious freaking cooling. Threadrippers will eat up all the voltage you can throw at it IF... major if, you can keep it comfortably cool. That's not happening with your current setup. Hell that is not happening with my render monster either lol.
thanks thesmokingman

I would need a bigger case at the moment it is just 2x 280mm - a long way from yours ;-)
sorry to keep hassling you, but is there any chance you could share some of your settings, just trying to see where I can go with what I got so far while staying safe but still push it ;-)

thanks thesmokingman

I would need a bigger case at the moment it is just 2x 280mm - a long way from yours ;-)
sorry to keep hassling you, but is there any chance you could share some of your settings, just trying to see where I can go with what I got so far while staying safe but still push it ;-)
If I’m reading your parts list correctly, your case is a define 7XL. A define 7XL will easily fit 2x 420 radiators, and likely more with some creativity. I currently am building with a 420 and a 360 in mine, and am thinking about trying to work in more.

like this
If I’m reading your parts list correctly, your case is a define 7XL. A define 7XL will easily fit 2x 420 radiators, and likely more with some creativity. I currently am building with a 420 and a 360 in mine, and am thinking about trying to work in more.
thanks Endgame,

I bought the Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme, mainly because thesmokingman mentioned them, thinking that this would be a good way to start at water cooling (i still think it is, just need a lot more LOL) then I later read that 280mm probably wasn't going to be enough, so I doubled it to 560mm (2x 280mm) ;-) and that still doesn't seem to be enough :banghead: scratching my head and banging it up against the wall.

thesmokingman talks about a 3 to 1 ratio I just can't find the reference to it, but how much cooling do i need? to get healthy tuning of the CPU (call it overclocking with care) so that the CPU doesn't become the primary heating element in the house LOL
...remember that xmas where we stood around the threadripper and it snowed but it kept us warm all night...:banghead::LOL: all jokes aside

thesmokingman used 2x 480mm plus that monster radiator with 9 fans must 1020mm or so, damn that is nearly 2000mm of radiators and its still (not boiling but warm) ...i would need a chiller instead!

thesmokingman mentioned somewhere that there is a 3 to 1 ratio ..... was it (sorry I can't find the reference) radiator area but what are we using to apply this to? what are the variables - radiator real estate, TDP? what is the formula?

we have +280w TDP on the CPU hat we need to cool which by the looks of things can easily go much higher when over clocked

Problem: cool down CPU with high TDP = HEAT
variables to solve this are
Radiator area and thickness (plus reservoir) = volume of water mass (penalty is space required to house it) limitation in case size ...there is a formula to how heat the water can absorb
Fan size and number of fins + RPM (penalty is noise) ....there is a formula to how much air required to remove the heat from the radiators
ambient temperature

Sorry but I failed calculus so someone with better math skills please step up!

thesmokingman I just want to say thanks in advance for all your contribution, you have been a real inspiration and costing me a lot of money ;-) LOL but I just want you to know i appreciate it. That also goes to the rest of the community here! - thanks

I believe that alpha cool is an advanced all in one kit - so you’re actually fairly set with redundancy with a pair of them, but I’ll admit I would need to Google them to get the details.

IMO, there is very little in the way of hard and fast rules when it comes to water cooling. It’s more like Burger King - get it your way! One of the “rules” I’ve seen is that you want 120mm worth of rad space per 100w of heat source. By that measure, your WC system could handle 400w of heat, which a thread ripper can exceed when you start increasing voltage. That said, this rule takes into account neither radiator thickness nor fan speed. For example, I ran an overclocked Athlon + video card (ATI 9700 pro if I remember correctly... it’s been a while) on a single 120mm rad. That should have been in the 300w range, but between the extra thick black ice extreme radiator and the pair of high rpm delta fans I had on it, it wasn’t an issue.

Additionally, radiators become more efficient the the larger the delta between the air and the water in the loop. My basement is almost always 68f or cooler, and my gear is stable with 95f coolant or lower. So, I set my fans to keep the coolant temp right about 92f - sometimes they are faster or slower, but I don’t really worry about it. I’ve still got one of those honking big cfm deltas on my current loop, so even if the air starts getting warm I’ve got enough CFM to keep things stable.

This is just my Threadripper running at Default

1607995011118.png

temperature measured in SIV this is just 8 minutes of Prime95 v30.3 build 6

1607995095753.png

temp in HWMonitor

Fan's on standard settings (i think I have set them to PWM - as they vary in speed)

there are 2 140mm Be Quiet Silent Wing 3 on each of the radiators and two Be Quiet Silent Wing 3 (1600rpm) in the case - so not a lot of fans

CPU block is Optimus Absolute Threadripper 3+ with Kingpin grease

I believe that alpha cool is an advanced all in one kit - so you’re actually fairly set with redundancy with a pair of them, but I’ll admit I would need to Google them to get the details.

IMO, there is very little in the way of hard and fast rules when it comes to water cooling. It’s more like Burger King - get it your way! One of the “rules” I’ve seen is that you want 120mm worth of rad space per 100w of heat source. By that measure, your WC system could handle 400w of heat, which a thread ripper can exceed when you start increasing voltage. That said, this rule takes into account neither radiator thickness nor fan speed. For example, I ran an overclocked Athlon + video card (ATI 9700 pro if I remember correctly... it’s been a while) on a single 120mm rad. That should have been in the 300w range, but between the extra thick black ice extreme radiator and the pair of high rpm delta fans I had on it, it wasn’t an issue.

Additionally, radiators become more efficient the the larger the delta between the air and the water in the loop. My basement is almost always 68f or cooler, and my gear is stable with 95f coolant or lower. So, I set my fans to keep the coolant temp right about 92f - sometimes they are faster or slower, but I don’t really worry about it. I’ve still got one of those honking big cfm deltas on my current loop, so even if the air starts getting warm I’ve got enough CFM to keep things stable.
I got this from Eddy at Alphacool

It always depends on how high the noise can be. For example, a 120mm ST30 radiator can handle up to 300W with a 4000rpm fan.

But there is a simple rule you can follow
80W TDP per 120mm radiator space with 600rpm fans
100W TDP per 120mm radiator space with 800rpm fans
120W TDP per 120mm radiator space with 1000rpm fans
150W TDP per 120mm radiator space with 1500rpm fans
180W TDP per 120mm radiator space with 2000rpm fans

This is only a rough guideline as there are a few other things to consider, such as the temperature of the ambient air or the air that the fans suck in.

92f = 35 c degrees well that isn't bad

i had my system run Prime95 yesterday, I had one of those auto OC on, so not really sure what was going on but the temp was hitting 90+ degrees Celsius or 194f but after 10 minutes the temp started to drop to 70+c (158f) everything still running 100% flat out? not sure what happened but I had to go so i stopped it.

just some observation - I would really like to know more so I can control it better and do an educated setup

I should probably do some work! instead of this LOL - such an easy distraction!

thanks thesmokingman

thanks Endgame,

I bought the Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme, mainly because thesmokingman mentioned them, thinking that this would be a good way to start at water cooling (i still think it is, just need a lot more LOL) then I later read that 280mm probably wasn't going to be enough, so I doubled it to 560mm (2x 280mm) ;-) and that still doesn't seem to be enough :banghead: scratching my head and banging it up against the wall.

thesmokingman talks about a 3 to 1 ratio I just can't find the reference to it, but how much cooling do i need? to get healthy tuning of the CPU (call it overclocking with care) so that the CPU doesn't become the primary heating element in the house LOL
...remember that xmas where we stood around the threadripper and it snowed but it kept us warm all night...:banghead::LOL: all jokes aside

thesmokingman used 2x 480mm plus that monster radiator with 9 fans must 1020mm or so, damn that is nearly 2000mm of radiators and its still (not boiling but warm) ...i would need a chiller instead!

thesmokingman mentioned somewhere that there is a 3 to 1 ratio ..... was it (sorry I can't find the reference) radiator area but what are we using to apply this to? what are the variables - radiator real estate, TDP? what is the formula?

we have +280w TDP on the CPU hat we need to cool which by the looks of things can easily go much higher when over clocked

Problem: cool down CPU with high TDP = HEAT
variables to solve this are
Radiator area and thickness (plus reservoir) = volume of water mass (penalty is space required to house it) limitation in case size ...there is a formula to how heat the water can absorb
Fan size and number of fins + RPM (penalty is noise) ....there is a formula to how much air required to remove the heat from the radiators
ambient temperature

Sorry but I failed calculus so someone with better math skills please step up!

thesmokingman I just want to say thanks in advance for all your contribution, you have been a real inspiration and costing me a lot of money ;-) LOL but I just want you to know i appreciate it. That also goes to the rest of the community here! - thanks

Hey thanks man and I'll chip wherever I can.

The radiator 3:1 ratio was something that Martin personally went by. The typical ratio back then is like 1:1+1 or something ridiculously underpowered like that and it's kind of still recommended by ppl in general. No one, hmm no one I'd advised would use such a weak ratio today. I always adhered to Martin's 3:1 ratio which prioritized low noise over everything else so that meant you had to have much more radiator vs heat to achieve low noise. This obviously costs more not just in dollars but real estate as well, however you gain a lot of padding. Martin and Skinnee were the two watercooling reviewers back in the day. They've both since retired but their data still stands today. It's kind of crazy but a lot of that knowledge that was readily known back then is lost today. Even the way reviews are done today are just lacking. Luckily much of Martin's data is somewhat archived on wordpress.

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/

On the render monster, I initially used some ancient 480mm rads, leftovers because I had them and they were free. Obviously I noted thru my build that the cooling was not the best it could be given the rads. Eventually those 480s were upgraded to HWL Nemesis GTX 480s and the loop can now handle an extra few hundred watts w/o flinching. Before the change, just raising the cpu draw to 350w to 400w would mean cpu temps skyrocket but not anymore.

Regarding cases, I DO NOT recommend anyone fill the it up with rads. That will give worse performance and create a negative outcome. This has to do with being able to feed enough clean intake air which if not done properly will create very bad results. That's why you should never stuff a case full of rads, it doesn't work like that.

The external Phobya Xtreme I referenced in that thread wasn't actually used in the rmonster build. I thought about it but decided not to go with a manual overclock but kind of kept it out there as an option if that ever changed. I did however used to use two of the Xtremes back in the day to cool quad 7970s and 290x cfx setups. Yea it was a lot of surface area and the builds back then drew 1600w-2000w so those externals rads made it possible bench the hell out of those quad setups on water.

like this
Thanks thesmokingman that is a great link. I have a bit of reading

I must be of similar vintage 😂 I was on xtremesystems back in 2000s and early 2010s with my SR-2 but I never dabbled in WC - too scared 😱
Really appreciate you and others sharing your knowledge here 🙏

Going way back, before Martin was Cathar and the forums of the day was procooling.com. If I remember correctly, Martian actually got a lot of his gear from Cathar, after Cathar retired. Some of my, uh, “newer” gear is from around that time, like my thermochill 120.3s. I’ve actually got one of those going in my new box...

tived - tackling a first wc build on a threadripper and then OCing is a big bite to take all at once. Break it down a little bit - maybe sticking to stock speeds with no auto oc would be a good place to start? The first goal would be to try to keep your heat load stable so you could play with your cooling. If you manually adjust your fan speed, at what rpm does it start getting to loud for you? Does adjusting the rpm on one rad seem to have a larger effect than the other? How does adjusting your case fans change things? Once you know where you can push your cooling rpm wise, you can start tweaking the threadripper based on that. Tweaking ram is a whole extra area you can spend time in as well that won’t add nearly as much heat to your case as well.

thesmokingman not to thread jacks too much, but I’m curious about exactly what you define filling a case with rads. I’m about to go roof mount 420 GTS Xflow and front thermochill 120.3 (both push +pull intake) on my define 7XL. It’s a config I’ve never used before, and is actually more rad space than I normally put in a case. I’ll end up with positive pressure in this build, but I’m looking at putting a high CFM exhaust fan to try to keep air moving toward the back and away from the case. This will be the first build I do with a coolant temp sensor as well, so there will be a few firsts here for me as well.

You generally want to be close or at worst slightly under the number fans on the rad. If for ex. you have a 480 rad, you'd want at least 360 for intake/exhaust. In my Phanteks I have two 480mm rads (8x120mm fans) and for intake I have 3 140mm and 3 120mm fans. It doesn't have to be a perfect balance but get it close enough.

In your case with the rads set to intake, you will be pushing warm/hot air into the case and if you're not removing that used air fast enough you'll end up heat soaking the whole thing and the cooling will go downhill fast.

You generally want to be close or at worst slightly under the number fans on the rad. If for ex. you have a 480 rad, you'd want at least 360 for intake/exhaust. In my Phanteks I have two 480mm rads (8x120mm fans) and for intake I have 3 140mm and 3 120mm fans. It doesn't have to be a perfect balance but get it close enough.

In your case with the rads set to intake, you will be pushing warm/hot air into the case and if you're not removing that used air fast enough you'll end up heat soaking the whole thing and the cooling will go downhill fast.
Yeah, this is one of my concerns, but I wasn’t really a huge fan of airflow series by having the roof rad exhausting the air from the front intake rad. Current plan is to PWM all the intake fans down to 800-1000 rpm (25-30cfm) and use a big 150cfm Noctua to exhaust at whatever rpm is necessary. At the very least, it will be good for a laugh and I’ll come up with a different plan.

Um, sanity check - I don't see TR4 on the list of supported platforms for that AIO:
1608047990424.png

There's an optional TR4 bracket, but I ~suspect~ that the block isn't big enough to cover the entire heat spreader - if it fits AM4, it ain't really going to fit TR4, and you'll have suboptimal cooling no matter what.

In fact, AlphaCool says the same thing:
https://forum.alphacool.com/threads...80-black-edition-for-threadripper-3970x.1408/
For a Threadripper i would built a DIY Setup. Easier and much better cooling performance. The Eisbaer Extreme has not the best CPU cooler for Threadripper CPUs. The normal XPX cooler wich the Extreme Edition is using is more for Socket 1151 and AM4 Systems.
For this system i would buy a 360 mm ST30 Radiator, as CPU block a Eisblock XPX Pro (doesn`t matter wich one), some TPV fittings and TPV tube and at least a Pump-Reservoir combination like Eisbecher 150 with a VPP755 pump.
And yes, its a bit expensiver than a Eisbaer Extreme, but you will get much more cooling power.

Did you swap the block to a different one?

4th post in the thread:

Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme 280 with Optimus Absolute Threadripper 3+ cpu block
Blind I am. Cool. Just started blinking, but I also had only had a cup of coffee by then. Ignore me!

like this
I'd return that acool setup. It uses the VPP755 pump. That pump has issues and which is why its on revision after revision. Go D5 or DDC or bust. Then get some real rads. Going two AIO is a super bandaid.

And I have to lol at acool's silly recomendation to start with a ST30, one of the least inspiring thin rads out there.

Um, sanity check - I don't see TR4 on the list of supported platforms for that AIO:
View attachment 309299

There's an optional TR4 bracket, but I ~suspect~ that the block isn't big enough to cover the entire heat spreader - if it fits AM4, it ain't really going to fit TR4, and you'll have suboptimal cooling no matter what.
Hi lopoetve

the default cpu block isn't big enough - you would need to replace it as I did, they do have a bracket for it to make it fit. But after reading thesmokingman build, i decided to go with the Optimus Absolute Threadripper 3+ alternatively Alphacool does have Alphacool Eisblock XPX Pro it does suddenly become a little more expensive with the Optimus, but the reviews were glowing, so I jumped - I am not sure if it is any better or not as I have nothing to compare with.

the block

2D7F1B81-AC3F-44F1-A8BA-799DB4A4F293.jpeg

my setup
9F321F62-419C-463D-B7F6-C5C67D8C9718.jpeg

graphics card is out, but normally in a raiser card

Last edited:
I'd return that acool setup. It uses the VPP755 pump. That pump has issues and which is why its on revision after revision. Go D5 or DDC or bust. Then get some real rads. Going two AIO is a super bandaid.

And I have to lol at acool's silly recomendation to start with a ST30, one of the least inspiring thin rads out there.
I remember you mentioning the VPP755 several times but I must have misunderstood you at the time

I doubt I could exchange it now. (I don’t understand US return policies well enough - bought from Performanc-PC in Florida)

i look at this as the beginning of my learning curve in water cooling - the AIO simplifies the mystic and fear of water cooling... after I have gained some more confidence I will rebuild based on yours and the guys recommendations.

i do see your point now that I could have added a lot more radiator space in here with standard units...and achieved a better cooling result per $

I don't think I've every recommended a VPP pump. My pump of choice has always been a DDC, specifically the Swiftech MCP35x since it comes with the number one DDC top.

The cpu block is a fine block so that's a keeper. The acool aio units, hmm they may be good for an aio but not two of them. At this point returning them to PPCS would be a huge pita because they are about as nice to deal with as Newegg is, lol. I like PPCS but I fear the day I have to deal with a return to them so I always make sure I am buying one way, ie. not buying willy nilly. That said, those two units together will give redundancy so it's worth trying out.

However, if you're not opposed to selling them, you should try that.

Fractal shows that case can use a 480mm in the top and a 360mm in the front. That's probably how I would use it once you mod the side panel with a big sheet of mesh. The way they advertise the case and rad support is ridiculously BS. Ya can't stick rads in the front and top because it only leaves a 140mm in the back and the bottom tray is covered by the psu cover. Thus a major portion of that case is excluded. It reminds me of my oold Corsair 700/800D. I cut the top of that case and stuffed a 480mm into it and used a 240mm in the bottom. That case also had crap support and you couldn't use the front of the case for anything either, leaving a stupid 140mm in the rear for intake smh.

That's when I had to come up wiht a fix and that was to replace the plexi window with a mesh window. Bought mesh screen from PPCS and cut it to pexi shape, and attached in place of the plexi. Let me see if I can find the pics...

like this
I have a last gen Threadripper 2950x. I wanted to do a custom water loop on the CPU. I mistakenly ordered a 360 copper radiator instead of a 420 so I just kept both of them to cool the CPU and anything else I want to add later. These builds are complicated and I did not like the idea of cheaping out on anything. I went straight to an EVGA 1200 Platinum PS. I did replace my original 32GB 14-14-14 of G.Skill with a new 64gb 14-14-14 neo kit this fall. I also added a new Samsung 980 Pro 1TB last week and used the old 970 Pro 1TB as a backup drive using Samsung Data migration software to perform a disk clone once in a while.

I did a pair of Alphocool full copper radiators, a 360 and 420. I did an XSPC RayStorm Neo WaterBlock on my Threadripper. I went with a Thermaltake Pacific PR22-D5 RGB pump reservoir combo. I used 5/8" OD hard tubing and compression fittings. In 2 years and not since the day I turned it on has there been 1 leak or problem.

like this
thesmokingman thanks, I did not say you said it, I think I got confused 🤷 lol it’s old age catching up. You referred to the alphacool and the pump, but I got it the wrong way around.

would the Alphacool extreme 280 be ok for a Ryzen 3900x ? I could then use it in my wife’s system, after I rebuild it.

hmm... new case and review setup and get new cooling - well I am glad we had this chat. It has cleared up some of my misunderstandings and I have been too quick to pull the tricker without doing proper checks. Should have asked all these questions first. Really appreciate everyones help here 🙏🙏🙏

locally no one has any large cases - the W200 might be in some warehouse but they can‘t confirm. Still not ideal but the biggest in Australia

thesmokingman thanks, I did not say you said it, I think I got confused 🤷 lol it’s old age catching up. You referred to the alphacool and the pump, but I got it the wrong way around.

would the Alphacool extreme 280 be ok for a Ryzen 3900x ? I could then use it in my wife’s system, after I rebuild it.

hmm... new case and review setup and get new cooling - well I am glad we had this chat. It has cleared up some of my misunderstandings and I have been too quick to pull the tricker without doing proper checks. Should have asked all these questions first. Really appreciate everyones help here 🙏🙏🙏

locally no one has any large cases - the W200 might be in some warehouse but they can‘t confirm. Still not ideal but the biggest in Australia

Oh yea you could definitely use it on the 3900x. It's a good aio on its own, just not ideal in this application.

Where are you located? The W100 is still available on amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Dismantle-Stackable-Certified-CA-1F2-00F1WN-00/dp/B01C71Q8WS/

Thanks
Sydney Australia I am checking with a local guy but I think it will have to be in the new year

I have a last gen Threadripper 2950x. I wanted to do a custom water loop on the CPU. I mistakenly ordered a 360 copper radiator instead of a 420 so I just kept both of them to cool the CPU and anything else I want to add later. These builds are complicated and I did not like the idea of cheaping out on anything. I went straight to an EVGA 1200 Platinum. I did replace my original 32GB 14-14-14 of G.Skill with a new 64gb 14-14-14 neo kit this fall. I also added a new Samsung 980 Pro 1TB last week and used the old 970 Pro 1TB as a backup drive using Samsung Data migration software to perform a disk clone once in a while.

Attachments

• RTX 3090 Threadripper.jpg
    RTX 3090 Threadripper.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 0

My recommendation is still not to be a huge hurry to change all your WC gear until you've spent some time tweaking on your Threadripper - even if its just optimizing memory, stock clocks, and fan profiles. You've got enough gear to be able to do that, and you'll learn more and get a better feeling for what you want after you've spent some time with it. Maybe you find you want to have better control of your fans, or want something quieter / louder than what you have now, etc. Better to figure out as much as you can and only order one more batch of stuff than to keep having to change your mind and need to rebuy stuff.

like this
Optimizing Threadripper is entirely about cooling. I have a 3990x in a 4u enclosure and I use an Enermax AIO with 3x Noctua industrial fans. Yeah, it's loud, but it's cold. I can sustain all core boosts of 4.1ghz with PBO enabled under 100% CPU usage. Enabling PBO increased performance exactly 25% on cinebench.

like this
This is just my Threadripper running at Default

View attachment 309196

temperature measured in SIV this is just 8 minutes of Prime95 v30.3 build 6

View attachment 309198
temp in HWMonitor

Fan's on standard settings (i think I have set them to PWM - as they vary in speed)

there are 2 140mm Be Quiet Silent Wing 3 on each of the radiators and two Be Quiet Silent Wing 3 (1600rpm) in the case - so not a lot of fans

CPU block is Optimus Absolute Threadripper 3+ with Kingpin grease
I get lost on that junction temp/edge temp stuff. I just look at cpu clock throttling. EK copper 45mm x 140mm x 420mm Watercool Heatkiller block and res/D5 pump. Exact same setup on an EK Radeon VII block. Just flawless.

like this
I have a last gen Threadripper 2950x. I wanted to do a custom water loop on the CPU. I mistakenly ordered a 360 copper radiator instead of a 420 so I just kept both of them to cool the CPU and anything else I want to add later. These builds are complicated and I did not like the idea of cheaping out on anything. I went straight to an EVGA 1200 Platinum. I did replace my original 32GB 14-14-14 of G.Skill with a new 64gb 14-14-14 neo kit this fall. I also added a new Samsung 980 Pro 1TB last week and used the old 970 Pro 1TB as a backup drive using Samsung Data migration software to perform a disk clone once in a while.
I ran 4 x 8GB Trident rgb (GTZRX) then I tried the 4 x 16GB Trident royal. Now I run all 96GB @ 3200MHz 14 14 14 34. It's only $15 to add a 32GB AMD/DRC RamDisk that clocks 8000/8000.

like this
Thanks Max,

I am ticking some of the boxes there, I have tried to build something that can last me for some years with room to improve.

I am going to us it for content creation 2D and I am trying to learn 3D still - building models which eventually will need rendering

optimisation, this isn’t to earn bragging rights of fastest etc but more what leavers do I need to change to make the system run at its best, yes - fast! But not necessarily fastest
RAID 0, I was scared off by how tuff that looked to set up.

like this
Optimizing Threadripper is entirely about cooling. I have a 3990x in a 4u enclosure and I use an Enermax AIO with 3x Noctua industrial fans. Yeah, it's loud, but it's cold. I can sustain all core boosts of 4.1ghz with PBO enabled under 100% CPU usage. Enabling PBO increased performance exactly 25% on cinebench.
paradoxical please feel free to add any topic that can help others or where you need help to get the most out of your system. Cooling is just one aspect of this 😉

show us a photo of your setup, sounds like a beast

Happy years to you all and thanks for your help. Really appreciate it 🙏🙏🙏

Back