Optimal Gaming Room Hardware

Originally posted by skritch
UPSes. A personal UPS per computer. Enough to run it for about 30 minutes without power, under load. Another UPS for the switch.

Don't you think thats a little excessive? A 30 minute UPS per computer? That's gonna really add up, money that could easult be spent else where to better other equipment.

I don't know about your location but power failures are very rare here and in the rare event of a power outage i'm sure you could surivive the few minutes rather than spending thousands, even tens of thousands on UPSs'.

Just my opinion.....

Redundant power is a good thing to have, but only if your finances can support it.

Definately put together a stand-alone non-workstation server. You can host games, files and all sorts of other things on it - and when something goes wrong you won't have to drop down to a 15 (or n-1) situation.

Sounds like you and your buddies will be having some good times soon. Jealous am I!

I've got a question to tag on here.

If I have a computer running "ClarkConnect" it's a type of Linux, used as a firewall. And I have a Gigabit switch (8 ports) Whats the best option that I have for allowing more people? just daisy chain? or should i get another card and bridge it?

This probably will help the guy that started the post, thats why I added it.

P.S. www.newegg.com get your stuff there. I got the SD2008 by Linksys from there site, but wait for the answer to this, it may be better to dish out the $$$ and get a higher port switch

Don't you think thats a little excessive? A 30 minute UPS per computer? That's gonna really add up, money that could easult be spent else where to better other equipment.

I agree... that's just not worth it, it's optimal but not worth it ;)... make them buy their own crap! :) yeah... and if it starts to storm, don't pretend your invincible :)

Originally posted by KoZLop
I wish i was your friend.. no one really thought of this in nj.
Where in NJ do you live? I am in the process of making a LAN Party room. We still have parties even though it not completed. Just don't have enough of free time to complete it yet.

Back to topic: I would highly suggest a dedicated game server, file server for all the game updates, DHCP server and a separate switch for all your buddies that want to file share. That alone can bring a network down to its knees. Another thing to consider is the table space. Do your buddies have full server cases? They take up alot of room.

Electrical: If possible I would set up a sub panel just for your LAN room. A 60amp panel is more then enough. It reduces the amount of wiring need back to the main panel.

Environment: Do you have suffient ventillation? It may no big deal in the winter time but in the summer do you have a way to cool off the room. With 16-20 monitors going, its going to get hot in the room quickly.

Good luck with your project.

Back