Optical inaccuracy of "curved" displays?

P1x3L

Weaksauce
I'm not yet convinced that curved are more optically accurate. I see a good argument that the y-axis is more accurate due to distance from the eyes. However the visual inconsistency created by no curve in the x-axis seems to make a flat screen's inconsistency more naturally corrected for by the brain. Hopefully you can follow my logic and we can stick to simple deductive processes instead of getting into endless referencing of (potentially market funded) literature. I'll also add a constraint for argument's sake: from 27" - 40".

So is curving the y-axis still as corrective as claimed considering a flat x-axis on these modern curved displays?

Curved Y axis with a flat X axis? Unless geometry has really changed I haven’t seen anything like that.

Assuming you mean the reverse I think either could be made to look right if games used a projection plane that accounted for it. Right now they are mostly accounting for a flat plane I believe, unless someone else knows better.

VR is an example where not accounting for curvature leads to a fisheye lens effect at wide FOVs and you can really tell the difference when it is corrected.

Curved Y axis with a flat X axis? Unless geometry has really changed I haven’t seen anything like that.

Assuming you mean the reverse I think either could be made to look right if games used a projection plane that accounted for it. Right now they are mostly accounting for a flat plane I believe, unless someone else knows better.

VR is an example where not accounting for curvature leads to a fisheye lens effect at wide FOVs and you can really tell the difference when it is corrected.
I think OP means curved around the Y-axis, not along it. But spherical rendering is becoming a thing due to VR. Typically a 3D image is projected onto a flat plane after being rendered and simply stretching or wrapping it around a non-flat viewport is going to cause all sorts of issues.

I have an LG 38" 24:10 curved widescreen in front of a 55" 4K flat OLED. I've definitely noticed some things switching between the two.

To me, after you use one or the other for a while, the curved display feels more "natural" and takes me basically no time to get "used to". Now when I swing the curved display out of the way and use the flat display, it is super noticeable that it's flat. Almost as if the edges of the display curve away from your eyes and takes a bit of time to get used to again.

I far prefer curved screens and hope they come back to OLEDs eventually.

Curved is highly useful when the screen size goes beyond about 32" 16:9 aspect ratio. Ultrawides are what mostly benefit from it. Without the curve edges of the display become harder to use comfortably as viewing angles will be worse unless you push the whole display back.

The upcoming Samsung G9 display with a 1000R curve might end up being the ideal example of a very wide curved screen. I have its predecessor the CRG9 and feel like it could be a lot more curved to be even better. The curve also helps reduce any horizontal viewing angle issues on a VA panel.

I have an LG 38" 24:10 curved widescreen in front of a 55" 4K flat OLED. I've definitely noticed some things switching between the two.

To me, after you use one or the other for a while, the curved display feels more "natural" and takes me basically no time to get "used to". Now when I swing the curved display out of the way and use the flat display, it is super noticeable that it's flat. Almost as if the edges of the display curve away from your eyes and takes a bit of time to get used to again.

I far prefer curved screens and hope they come back to OLEDs eventually.

I'm waiting for you to pioneer modding the 48x. Pop the back off the panel and flex the edges of the panel.

I'm waiting for you to pioneer modding the 48x. Pop the back off the panel and flex the edges of the panel.

haha I've actually considered it. I've taken apart my OLED's before, but not sure it's worth trying to separate the OLED panel from the aluminum frame/housing. Maybe if I get bored one day...

Curved is correct but at only one distance and one seat position.

Reactions: sethk
like this

LG actually has made curved OLEDs before, but they have largely abandoned it due to lack of interest. Because curved makes zero sense in a TV which is watched from a further distance. I wish they offered the 48" model as curved too.

Reactions: sethk
like this
Thanks for your input... Yes Armenius - that is what I meant: or as you said the screen is curved along the x axis, but 100% flat along the y axis. I realize, of course, that the x axis is about twice as long as the y axis. However, for the sake of accuracy, that would mean there should be some slight curve along the y axis too. Most ergonomic rationales posit that the eyes are fairly close to level with the top of the display, so then the bottom should be made to curve towards us slightly too.

Of course it matters more for larger displays, but I'm more interested in getting the theory straight so it can proliferate through the zeitgeist of geekdom and effect the display engineers in charge of my future display :)

Back