Optical drive problems

[dRu]

Limp Gawd
Is there any reason my burner doesn't like being on a dual device IDE cable with my DVD drive? I can't seem to burn any CDs when my burner and DVD drive are connected (I keep getting errors) but my burner works fine when it is connected by itself. Right now I have them connected to my motherboard with a single IDE cable for each device, but I wanted to have them both on one dual device IDE cable. They are working fine with this setup.

or it could be a simple jumper problem, my cd-rw drive doesnt like being set on cable select

Originally posted by RancidWAnnaRIot
Did you try using a different IDE cable?...maybe the Connector for the drive is messed up...

Yeah, I tried my roommate's dual IDE device cable... doesn't want to work together but will work fine when one device is connected by itself :(.

Originally posted by carlson
or it could be a simple jumper problem, my cd-rw drive doesnt like being set on cable select

Hmmm... possibly... but wouldn't the drive with the incorrect jumper setting not work at all? I should have probably mentioned that my DVD drive reads discs fine when they are both connected. The burner is the only drive giving me problems that I know of when it is connected with a dual device IDE cable along with my DVD drive.

Originally posted by [dRu]
Hmmm... possibly... but wouldn't the drive with the incorrect jumper setting not work at all? I should have probably mentioned that my DVD drive reads discs fine when they are both connected. The burner is the only drive giving me problems that I know of when it is connected with a dual device IDE cable along with my DVD drive.

the burner could be on cable select though. you sure it's on slave? (assuming the DVD is master). For cable select both drives should be in cable select.... i think..... someone correct me if i'm wrong :)

Originally posted by RancidWAnnaRIot
the burner could be on cable select though. you sure it's on slave? (assuming the DVD is master). For cable select both drives should be in cable select.... i think..... someone correct me if i'm wrong :)

nah, before i swapped out the one cd-rw for another i had 1 cable 1 master... or the other way around... don't remember

Do any of you guys have problems with having a burner and another optical drive on a dual device IDE cable?

You should still check the jumpers (if you haven't).. i don't know how many times i could have saved hours of time, if i would have checked jumpers, or cables...simple things

Originally posted by [dRu]
Do any of you guys have problems with having a burner and another optical drive on a dual device IDE cable?

No problems here, I have 3 computers and each has a dvd rom drive and a dvd burner on the same cable. Their jumpers are on cable select settings.

My main rig has 4 optical drives, the 2 burners both on IDE2 channel. I had problems doing "on the fly" CD copying with drives on the same channel, hence my present setup. Some burners like to be master on their channel. Try to avoid putting your source and copying drive on the same channel.

Nothing wrong with putting optical drives on the same IDE channel as HDs, timings won't be compromised on a modern system.

No problems running a dvd-rom and cd-rw on the same ide channel my old system. Currently I have a dvd-rom and dvd-r on the same ide channel. In my experience my sytems seem to work better using cable select, boot times seem faster, however I never really messed with it to see if it was just a setting or jumper issue causing the slow down.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for correctly answering the question about having 2 optical drives on the same channel. You have no idea how much it bugs me to see people still saying this is a problem. I firmly believe from my own experience it was never a problem, and without a doubt isn't right now. Again....thanks!

Originally posted by MontyAC
No problems here, I have 3 computers and each has a dvd rom drive and a dvd burner on the same cable. Their jumpers are on cable select settings.

Both drives are on cable select settings?

Heck, no problems here either.. 52327S on secondary and 851S DVDRW on primary. [dRu], if it's bugging you, just put one drive as Master and the other as Slave and give it a shot.

Originally posted by TechHead
Heck, no problems here either.. 52327S on secondary and 851S DVDRW on primary. [dRu], if it's bugging you, just put one drive as Master and the other as Slave and give it a shot.

I had the drives set up like that before and it was giving me problems. Does it matter that my burner was designated as the master drive the DVD drive was designated as the slave drive?

Yeah, in fact that is the recommended way to set up your optical drives. Give it a shot.

Back