opteron overclock

RegisteredToPost

Limp Gawd
I'm giving this a try. Reading the guide, says to set your htt multi to 2. Ram divider to 100mhz, and cpu multi 5x. Then boot windows, run prime95 and set your htt until reboot/freeze. Well i can only get to 228mhz before it locks.

opteron 175
2(512) crucial ballistix pc4000
silverstone psu

What am i doing wrong? :confused:

RegisteredToPost said:
I'm giving this a try. Reading the guide, says to set your htt multi to 2. Ram divider to 100mhz, and cpu multi 5x. Then boot windows, run prime95 and set your htt until reboot/freeze. Well i can only get to 228mhz before it locks.

opteron 175
2(512) crucial ballistix pc4000
silverstone psu

What am i doing wrong? :confused:
What motherboard?
since the HTT you're upping is motherboard dependant

What motherboard are you using? Testing your HTT limit is to find out what the board is capable of - thus lowering CPU multi and putting on a ram divider, to ensure that they dont hold you back. 228Mhz does seem very low though.

I'm also using asus Ai booster to change htt speeds as clockgen does not list the A8Nsli as a supported board.

mattjbak said:
read the overclocking guide...

RegisteredToPost said:

Thanks for your suggestion!
i've read it several times

Oops i'm a nut fuck. New to this whole thing. I managed to get 2.6ghz with 1.4v. I'm going to call it good for now. Pretty easy overclock. Didn't mess with timings or anything.

How close to 1000mhz should you aim to get your ht frequency? Mine is 50mhz away from 1ghz. Testing loads with prime, but i can't run two instances of the app. how do i do this?

after a couple of errors trying to oc my ocz 3200 ram fearther than than it can I put the divider and this cabye 148 is running gamming stable(two hours each of fear and quake 3) at 2.8 stock voltage on a abit an8-sli,may try for more later

I'm calling this opteron good at 2695mhz, at 1.475, 3-4-4-10 timings Temps are comfortable and i definately notice a speed boost. Prime isnt reporting any errors but i cant get two instances of this app to run. I set the affinity for one, open another and the two instances condense into one...

How do i get prime95 running twice?

oic thanks. WIth two instances of prime, monitoring temps with smartguardian, cpu stays within limits but the chipset jumps up to 55c almost instantly. Is this ok?

RegisteredToPost said:
I'm also using asus Ai booster to change htt speeds as clockgen does not list the A8Nsli as a supported board.

ClockGen lists all NF4 boards in one version. Use that one.

I've got a question: my current ram is crucial value pc3200 and I'm fairly certain it won't be overclocking very high (2x1GB for 2GB).

I've got an Opteron 165 coming in... would using a high memory divider to get a high cpu overclock while staying at DDR400 still provide excellent performance or should I forget about overclocking at all?

Thanks!

RegisteredToPost said:
I'm calling this opteron good at 2695mhz, at 1.475, 3-4-4-10 timings Temps are comfortable and i definately notice a speed boost. Prime isnt reporting any errors but i cant get two instances of this app to run. I set the affinity for one, open another and the two instances condense into one...

How do i get prime95 running twice?

download this program
http://sp2004.fre3.com/
then start 2 sessions of it at the same time just by double clicking it 4 times.

then selct affinity from the GUI.

RexPokinghorn said:
I've got a question: my current ram is crucial value pc3200 and I'm fairly certain it won't be overclocking very high (2x1GB for 2GB).

I've got an Opteron 165 coming in... would using a high memory divider to get a high cpu overclock while staying at DDR400 still provide excellent performance or should I forget about overclocking at all?

Thanks!
That actually works better. I have some FAST ram myself but to keep tighter timings I'm sacraficing mhz. so my ram is set on the DDR333 divider wich puts my ram running at a lower frquency and I can keep things at 2-2-2-5
if your'e going for a high overclock you almost HAVE to use the ram divider especially with a 165 due to the 9x multiplier

RegisteredToPost said:
monitoring temps with smartguardian, cpu stays within limits but the chipset jumps up to 55c almost instantly. Is this ok?

Anyone? i'm guessing the temps jump because i have a passively cooled A8N premium. If i put a fan on the chipset sink, would the temps be a bit lower? Has anyone else had this occurance with this board?

Back