Opteron 175 or Athlon 4400+?

Towermax

Limp Gawd
I've got both of these Socket 939 processors and am trying to decide which one to use in a new, retro build. They appear identical--dual-core, 2.2GHz speed, 2X1MB L2 cache, etc.

The Opteron 175 is a Denmark core, E6 stepping. The 4400+ is a Toledo core and also E6 stepping.

Any reason to prefer one over another?

I have an opteron 165 and it is still running at 2.8ghz. My vote is on the Opteron but you're not going to know for sure unless you put both in and OC.

Looking up online, the Athlon has cool'n'quiet while the Opteron doesn't. (according to wikipedia).

That's my two cents, I don't know anything about the OCing abilities of these chips.

I have a 4400+ but it was the generation prior to the Toledo core and E6 stepping. When I purchased my chip the Opterons were known for their better silicon and OC potential despite lower clock speed. With your E6 stepping it could be a different story though.

The cool'n'quiet worked decently on my 4400. It did keep the temps down, but only in a non-OC'd scenario for me. Its neat in that this is now standard tech but was pretty new with these chips.

I vote for sdlvx's remark. Put them in and see what you get, its always a gamble.

Looking up online, the Athlon has cool'n'quiet while the Opteron doesn't. (according to wikipedia).

That's my two cents, I don't know anything about the OCing abilities of these chips.

That may have been the case with earlier Opterons, but the 175 does Cool n' Quiet just fine. I just checked with CPU-Z and it drops both multiplier and voltage like it's supposed to.

I vote for sdlvx's remark. Put them in and see what you get, its always a gamble.

Right, that's what I plan to do--just wanted to see if there were any significant advantages to either chip. I've forgotten most of what I used to know about them . . .

That may have been the case with earlier Opterons, but the 175 does Cool n' Quiet just fine. I just checked with CPU-Z and it drops both multiplier and voltage like it's supposed to.

It just depends on the board. My Biostar Tforce 6100-939 with a Opty 175 wouldn't enable it even if it's turned on in the bios.

Last edited:
It just depends on the board. My Biostar Tforce 6100-939 with a Opty 175 wouldn't enable it even if it's turned on in the bios.

OK, that's good to know. My 175 is in a DFI LanParty Ultra-D. I just had to turn on C n' Q in the bios, and set the power scheme in Windows 7 to "Balanced".

I remembered that it didn't work with a single core Opteron 144 that I had for a while, so I thought that the dual cores and/or later steppings could do C n' Q.

What are you going to do with the one you don't use?

If you decide to sell it, I might be interested, so keep me in mind, OK?

Back