Opteron 170 or 175?

socK

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to atempt 2.6 ghz, because that would basicly end up a FX-60 correct? Im going to do it on air, so I need some suggestions and advice. Whats my chances of doing so? What do I have a better chance with? Any recommendations for cooler? I was going to pickup the Thermaltake Big Typhoon but would I be better off with anything else?

i would go with the BT and a 170. imo a 175 is a waste of money, most of the 165/170's seem to clock as well or better than the 175's

ya go with a 165 or a 170 to hit 2.6. I'm not saying the 175 won't but the price compared to the others is not as good. 165 should do it just fine.

Hell you might even get a better stepping, as most of the steppings from the 165 and the 170s are doing way better than the 175. What ram are you using? That would play a factor as well in the overclocking. As for the big typhoon....I've always used a custom built system, and i'd suggest the same. Danger Den is what i'm currentlly using, it's not top of the line but it better than thermaltake, and it's not too expensive either :p

I prefer the x11 multipler on the 175, got mine stable with ninja running 240x11. But with every OC, nothing is guaranteed.

Most I can get with my 165 stable on my crappy board is 2.5 (which is daily use stable). It can easily go higher than that. Dont waste your money, go with 165 or MAYBE 170.

Back