Opteron 170 is on it's way, do I need to burn in before OC'n?

Nobi125

[H]ard|Gawd
Like the title says, The Opty is on it's way. I can't stop thinking this and it's bugging me. Can I try overclocking right away (about to be all over Eclipse's guide), or do I need to let it burn in for a week or two?

Also, does anyone know how the Opty 170s have been from ZZF lately?

Some people say burning is a myth, others think that it works...finally, if you overclock slowly, ie., increase fsb, run prime95 for 6+ hours, increase, etc...that is like burning in. Me, I did the third method...sitting at 2900Mhz at 1.6V now.
Unfortunately, you truly never know which method works with your chip since once you try one method, you can't compare it to the others since you already did the overclocking

No it does nothing

you probaby do want to go slow in you o/c'in of the chip as you will want to know which compent being stressed is failing (chip, HTT or memory).

magnuspah said:
Some people say burning is a myth, others think that it works...finally, if you overclock slowly, ie., increase fsb, run prime95 for 6+ hours, increase, etc...that is like burning in. Me, I did the third method...sitting at 2900Mhz at 1.6V now.
Unfortunately, you truly never know which method works with your chip since once you try one method, you can't compare it to the others since you already did the overclocking

1.6v, damn. I've heard people say that 1.55 is the highest you'd wanna go on those things. Very nice OC though.

Well, just be careful...mindful of the loading temps...I keep mind below 50C at all time....best method so far, set the htt at certain speed, get into windows...run dual prime, each prime set affinity for each core...let both primes run, then using clockgen, increase the htt by 5mhz (up to 280Mhz, then 2-3Mhz HTT increase afterwards), let prime run for at least 6 hours...redo the whole thing again...
once it fails, I go back to the bios, set the htt at the last setting that worked, increase the vcore by .275V, get back to windows, dual prime for 6 hours...
then increase htt again, etc...

As for vcore, if you have good watercooling, people have gone as high as 1.7V. Me, 1.6V is fine as it keeps the load temp around 46-47C with 25C ambient temp.
If you have air cooling, max should be 1.55V

Should not be any burn in time, but if you use termal paste like artic silver, it might take a while and several on-off cycles for it to become most effective. Not sure what effect that might have on overclocking.

Well for now I'm just gonna be using whatever AMD puts in the box. They give you thermal greese right?

i do believe compusa sells AS5 now. 4-5 bux for a small tube if you need it.

50 -200 hours...depending...
after 48 hours, mine is about 2C cooler than when as5 was first used...

Hehe I just ordered my Opty 170 :D :D :D

(and a new powerful psu for juice)

This thread has me pumped; how are the "newest" ones overclocking? Still high?

Khaydarin said:
Hehe I just ordered my Opty 170 :D :D :D

(and a new powerful psu for juice)

This thread has me pumped; how are the "newest" ones overclocking? Still high?

I ordered mine along with a new system for my first build, I'm stoked.

The newest ones probably don't overclock as well as we'd like lol.

Maybe.....

Though its still a nice and reliable core. When I was reading stuff about the 3000+ Winnie I have now, the OC scores were all over the place. Pretty much all the Opty 170 scores I've seen are pretty consistant in terms of getting 2.6+.

I'm hoping this notion holds up.

crank it up as soon as you put it in... it's either going to clock high or it isnt... or maybe it will fall somewhere in between. :)

I'd be happy with 2.4ghz (anything less and I'd be dissapointed...............although nothing is gauranteed). Anything more than that is just icing on the cake for me.

Just got myself an Opty 170 as well. Sold the FX-53. How high can these things OC on water?

depending on the stepping and the week...some have gotten as high as 3.1Ghz..most about 2.6-2.8Ghz...Mine is at 2.9Ghz...Some unluckly souls, 2.5Ghz...so, it is all over the place...With good cooling, I would say 2.6-2.8Ghz...

Also keep in mind your temps will gradually rise after a few months or more depending on the air quality of your environment and in your case as dust will start to clog the fins reducing airflow.. On my old Athlon XP box I have to vacuum the HS out every 4-6 months..

Khaydarin said:
Arctic Silver 5 does make a heck of a difference.....can you buy any locally?
The shin Etsu TIM that comes on most AMD's currently is just as good as AS5.
It's not the same as the old orange crap AMD used to give you.

Have any hardware websites done a comparison between the different types of thermal greese/paste out there? That would make a cool article.

'Burn in' is all about the TIM joint. Since these Opterons come with a heat spreader, the effect of burn in is alot less compared to an exposed die. So don't expect a miraculous improvement over time like people have had in the past with Athlon XP chips.

It's certainly not necessary to burn in befroe you overclock. Like 30 mins should be enough before you start putting serious voltage through it.

Great ZZF emails me to let me know that I need to verify my address. Now my cpu is delayed for even longer. Newegg never has any problems like this, I wish they would have had the 170 in stock so I didn't have to deal with this bs.

nobi125 said:
Great ZZF emails me to let me know that I need to verify my address. Now my cpu is delayed for even longer. Newegg never has any problems like this, I wish they would have had the 170 in stock so I didn't have to deal with this bs.
that sounds pretty standard dude - especially if your shipping address differs from your credit card billing address. what did you use to pay for it?

seanmcd said:
that sounds pretty standard dude - especially if your shipping address differs from your credit card billing address. what did you use to pay for it?

The addresses were the same, I even clicked the use billing as shipping button. They sent me something saying the address doesn't match the one at the credit card company. So now they want me to call the credit card company and have the address changed there. I'm gonna be on hold a LOT today. I tried to call ZZF in between two of my lectures but I got a machine wanting me to leave a message, I didn't have time so I'll have to try later. I'm thinking about cancelling this order and getting it from a site that doesn't have so many problems authorizing a purchase.

9 orders from newegg and not a single issue yet with the exact same info. ZZF has not impressed me so far. Now my order is delayed another day and I have to deal with the credit card company customer service and theirs.

nobi125 said:
The addresses were the same, I even clicked the use billing as shipping button. They sent me something saying the address doesn't match the one at the credit card company. So now they want me to call the credit card company and have the address changed there. I'm gonna be on hold a LOT today. I tried to call ZZF in between two of my lectures but I got a machine wanting me to leave a message, I didn't have time so I'll have to try later. I'm thinking about cancelling this order and getting it from a site that doesn't have so many problems authorizing a purchase.

9 orders from newegg and not a single issue yet with the exact same info. ZZF has not impressed me so far. Now my order is delayed another day and I have to deal with the credit card company customer service and theirs.
While I've only used ZZF a handfull of times, I've never had this issue while using either my Visa check card OR paypal. They have never asked me to verify the address.

Called em up and took care of it. They apologized and said they'd have it here in 24-48hrs.

jnmunsey said:
Also keep in mind your temps will gradually rise after a few months or more depending on the air quality of your environment and in your case as dust will start to clog the fins reducing airflow.. On my old Athlon XP box I have to vacuum the HS out every 4-6 months..

Ah, I remember the days before I used fan filters.

I have had good luck burning the crap out of the CPU for six hours and then turning the machine off for two hours, and doing it again.

Most people who build computers more than once a year/every few years have a set "style"

Haven't really switched mine in about 5 years.

mwarps said:
I have had good luck burning the crap out of the CPU for six hours and then turning the machine off for two hours, and doing it again.

Most people who build computers more than once a year/every few years have a set "style"

Haven't really switched mine in about 5 years.

This is my first build ever. I just don't wanna screw it up.

nobi125 said:
This is my first build ever. I just don't wanna screw it up.

Basically dont plunge right into OCing the schnitzle out of your new cpu right after you put the paste on. As long as you are watching the temps, you're good. The paste will be more effective once it has set in, so your cpu wont be as cooled right off as it will be after some on/off sessions. Its by a few degrees, but something to keep in mind when first OCing the new processor.

Khaydarin said:
Basically dont plunge right into OCing the schnitzle out of your new cpu right after you put the paste on. As long as you are watching the temps, you're good. The paste will be more effective once it has set in, so your cpu wont be as cooled right off as it will be after some on/off sessions. Its by a few degrees, but something to keep in mind when first OCing the new processor.

I'm probably going to leave it along for a few days before I touch the speeds.
The only thing I've OC'd before is the Athlon XP in my current Compaq machine (using CPUFSB), and my 6800GT.........so I'm not an expert by any means.

nobi125 said:
I'm probably going to leave it along for a few days before I touch the speeds.
The only thing I've OC'd before is the Athlon XP in my current Compaq machine (using CPUFSB), and my 6800GT.........so I'm not an expert by any means.
I give you about 2 hours before you make that first speed adjustment. Doesn't take much to take that FSB up a bit... might as well try a few more ticks...;-) Even the "bad" ones will give you a 25% OC pretty easily. Why wait?

Hey nobi I just realized you have the same Liberty 620W that is coming in the mail with my Opty 170 :) .....(hows it workin'?)

Yes, thats off topic....so I'll add another spark of wisdom. :rolleyes: :D

Dennis said:
I give you about 2 hours before you make that first speed adjustment. Doesn't take much to take that FSB up a bit... might as well try a few more ticks...;-) Even the "bad" ones will give you a 25% OC pretty easily. Why wait?

Yeah you dont even have to OC it "to the max" right off......just a bit at a time until you feel fully comfortable with how its running and have felt you gave the AS5 enough time.

Khaydarin said:
Hey nobi I just realized you have the same Liberty 620W that is coming in the mail with my Opty 170 :) .....(hows it workin'?)

I won't know till Saturday when I drive back to my parent's house to build it. That's where I had everything shipped.

Back