Opteron 165's Cancelled?

Vengance_01 said:
That really sucks, but Glad I got mine. Ordered from newegg on wednesday afternoon, shiped the same day, and on thursday they were out of stock. I agree, this was a brief XMAS Gift from AMD. My 165 is primming at 2.6GHZ Dual prime BTW, and only at 1.53 volts and only paided 289$ which it stomps the X2 3800. Good for all that got one, and well for those who wanted one, you snoose you loose.
I'm in a smiliar boat grabbed mine from mwave for $305 shipped. It shipped that day and the next day they were out of stock and didn't even have them listed on their site anymore

serbiaNem said:
Really? That doesn't sound quite right...

The Athlon 64 FX-51 and the Socket 940 FX-53's. Both were on Socket 940, which required the parity bits.

robberbaron said:
Some are, but that doesn't mean that they necessarily know what they're talking about. There is no such thing as a "server" 939 board. 939 just isnt a platform meant for servers. A Lanparty board is just as much of a server board as, say, some Tyan 939 board (if one exists.) Neither could take registered ram or multiple CPU's.

The reason why no consumer Socket 939 board is allowed to offically support an Opteron is because AMD will not let the motherboard companys do so. Socket 939 Opterons are marketed towards low cost but high uptime workstations. AMD will allow only certain boards to officially support these CPUs, examples being the Tomcat K8E and the Tomcat K8E-SLI.

So basically marketig. :p

now this gets confusing. Because some people said the 165 would be discontinued I thought I'd best contact the shop where I ordered mine toady, double checking if their online availability was correct and they actually had them in stock. The guy at the store said they ran out of CPUs today (just my luck) and that he would contact AMD Germany to check if the thing was discontinued or if they were still getting them.

A minute ago he called me back and said AMD confirmed they were still in volume production and they were NOT discontinued but just very hard to come by as demand was immense (no shit). Weired... Whatever, he said I'll have mine in max. 10-14 days from now, which is ok for me. As for the whole discontinued issue - I have no clue... :confused:

probably just a rumor blown out of hand and believed due to low supply, high demand :(

wizzackr said:
now this gets confusing. Because some people said the 165 would be discontinued I thought I'd best contact the shop where I ordered mine toady, double checking if their online availability was correct and they actually had them in stock. The guy at the store said they ran out of CPUs today (just my luck) and that he would contact AMD Germany to check if the thing was discontinued or if they were still getting them.

A minute ago he called me back and said AMD confirmed they were still in volume production and they were NOT discontinued but just very hard to come by as demand was immense (no shit). Weired... Whatever, he said I'll have mine in max. 10-14 days from now, which is ok for me. As for the whole discontinued issue - I have no clue... :confused:

I wonder how the next batch is going to do seeing as the CCBWE 0530's are doing pretty well from what I've seen.

kirbyrj said:
I wonder how the next batch is going to do seeing as the CCBWE 0530's are doing pretty well from what I've seen.
the 0540's aren't quite as good :(

I just got off the phone w/ Monarch, their sales rep told me that they received an email from AMD saying that they were limiting shipping, they apologized for the shortage, etc. He said he's heard the internet rumors of a product cancellation, but has nothing substantial to back it up. This rumor is beginning to look like a knee-jerk response to everyone going out of stock. You might want to jump on the bandwagon and order one if you want one even if they are out of stock, because if the price goes up, back-order's prices will, of course, be honored.

Back