Opteron 165 = WOW Overclock Perforance!!

Alexzander

Weaksauce
My Opteron 165 finally was delivered yesterday from newegg. (Steppin CCBWE 0534). I got it to run @ 2.5Ghz with just the default CPU Voltages. I now have it running at 2.6 running @ 1.36v. Temperature is 99F to 101F using an XP-90 Heatsink; Will mess with it some more in the afternoon as soon as I get it install in my new Thermaltake Armour Case. These cpu's are truly the best performance per cost AMD has every produced...lol It's like having a Dual Core 55FX!! Now thats cool.
I would love to here what others with this same steppin Overclocking Results!!

nice results dude!
i have a Opteron 146 on the way (single core)...and cant wait to overrclock the hell out of it...... :D

are you gonna try pushing it any higher? i'm buying a Opty 170 this friday, hoping i can get 2.8

Elysian, let us know where you get yours as soon as you find out the overclock of it. Also, I have a 3800x2 and wish I got the 165 instead. Do you think we will see a noticable difference in this change?

Av8
4x512mb valueram
6800gt
2x250g Diamondmax 10 raid0
3800x2

Btw, are this chips going to go down after xmas?

Yes I will!! Just to see how high it can go, then I will bring it back down to 2.6ghz. 2.6 is more than enough for me...lol I will continue to overclock it when I install it in my new a Thermaltake Armour Case. Stay Tune!!

Opteron 165 OC @ 2.6Ghz
Dfi Lan Party NF4 D SLI Motherboard
Ultra X-Connect 500wt Power Supply
2 WD 80G Raptor Raid 0
2 Maxtor 250G IDE Harddrive Raid 0 using Promise TX2000 Raid Controller
1 Maxtor 250G IDE Harddrive for Storage
XFX 6800 OC 430/1008

lol 2.6 is pretty quick on my x2, but i'd still like higher, especially for a water cooled rig... i just think i got a bum manchester... hoping i got a good opty 170

scwam said:
Elysian, let us know where you get yours as soon as you find out the overclock of it. Also, I have a 3800x2 and wish I got the 165 instead. Do you think we will see a noticable difference in this change?

Av8
4x512mb valueram
6800gt
2x250g Diamondmax 10 raid0
3800x2

Btw, are this chips going to go down after xmas?
Its hard to say whether or not these chip prices will be going down. From what I been seeing is that AMD has Discontinues the Opteron 165.. :( Which mean retailers will only have what AMD has left in inventory and thats it. I hope the prices go down because I will definitely buy 1 or 2 more.

Elysian said:
lol 2.6 is pretty quick on my x2, but i'd still like higher, especially for a water cooled rig... i just think i got a bum manchester... hoping i got a good opty 170
What temperature u are seeing... My OC opteron is around 99F on air..Thats why I'm sure I can get 2.8 easily if my Motherboard allows it

I got my amd x2 3800 oc'ed 2600mhz with a zalman copper cooler/air I got my moneys worth also :) Oh i hit temp low 50s full load

My manchester 3800 X2 temps stock/closed case 40/53c
Overclock at stock volts up to 2300
After that it requires up to 1.525 volts up to 2540 (open case only) 39/50c
From 2550 to 2655 it needs 1.575 volts and is not always game stable.
This is using xp-90. I hope these opterons have no memory issues like most of the amd processors using 2x1g or all dimms full. I've read they have better memory controllers allowing the ram to be clocked higher.

i'll let you know, i just got 2 sticks of OCZ performance pc3200 2-3-3-6 rev 3... hopefully with my epox mobo and opty 170 i'll be able to run 1T, haven't been able to in the past

scwam said:
My manchester 3800 X2 temps stock/closed case 40/53c
Overclock at stock volts up to 2300
After that it requires up to 1.525 volts up to 2540 (open case only) 39/50c
From 2550 to 2655 it needs 1.625 volts and is not always game stable.
This is using xp-90. I hope these opterons have no memory issues like most of the amd processors using 2x1g or all dimms full. I've read they have better memory controllers allowing the ram to be clocked higher.

S939 opterons have same memory controller as all other 90nm s939 A64s

Chikan! Ha. That's a person I dream of being. I always tell my japanese girlfriend that I want to be a chikan and grab many asses when I go to Tokyo.

I've tested my Opteron 170, and here are my results:

Voltage | Max overclock

1.30 | 2500MHz
1.35 | 2580MHz
1.40 | 2650MHz
1.45 | 2700MHz [current clock]
1.50 | 2780MHz
1.55 | 2850MHz
1.60 | 2900MHz
1.65 | 2950MHz

*Note, this is all with G.Skill TCCD RAM running 1:1

I'm not willing to go up to 1.65V for a 24/7 setup. I'll OC as it is necessary. Maybe I'll put the RAM on a divider and see if I can get 2.8GHz without any more voltage.

Bona Fide said:

Voltage | Max overclock

1.30 | 2500MHz
1.35 | 2580MHz
1.40 | 2650MHz
1.50 | 2780MHz
1.55 | 2850MHz
1.60 | 2900MHz
1.65 | 2950MHz

I'm not willing to go up to 1.65V for a 24/7 setup. I'll OC as it is necessary. Maybe I'll put the RAM on a divider and see if I can get 2.8GHz without any more voltage.

what week and revision is it? i'm gonna be getting a week 30 CCBWE

bona fide, what temps are you hitting under load at those higher speeds?

safe ranges?

Alexzander said:
Its hard to say whether or not these chip prices will be going down. From what I been seeing is that AMD has Discontinues the Opteron 165.. :(
rumor, ignore it :D

I'm seeing similar results to Bonafide with the Opty 170 running 1:1 on Ram as well.

CCBWE 530(forgot the last four letters)

I can say that I'm getting equal if not better results as an X2 4400 (I had owned one before, also CCBWE, but 534) with using .05 volts less.

I needed 1.55 to reach 2.8 on my X2. Also the load temps on my opty are slightly less than the X2. This is all on water.

Results on both processors using PCmark and 3Dmark are the same for both processors, when using the same memory options and multipliers. Just to alleviate concerns for noobs, who read that "Zebra" thread that showed up a few days ago on some forum somewhere else.

My X2's memory controller crapped out on me and I took it back to where I got it from. It still ended up posting and installed half of windows. So I picked up the 170 to check if it was my mobo that was a fault. So I can't post screenies comparing the X2 vs the 170.

I dunno, but I feel like X2 users are getting the "shaft", because they are paying more money for "inferior" processors. I've read alot of posts indicating that Optys are achieving equal if not better on less volts. I know the opterons get more testing and validation. But as a former X2 user looking back I think it's kinda messed up.

The heatsink/fan cooler on the X2 is definately more solid and seems more substantial than the Dual Opties.

Flexion said:
I'm seeing similar results to Bonafide with the Opty 170 running 1:1 on Ram as well.

CCBWE 530(forgot the last four letters)

I can say that I'm getting equal if not better results as an X2 4400 (I had owned one before, also CCBWE, but 534) with using .05 volts less.

I needed 1.55 to reach 2.8 on my X2. Also the load temps on my opty are slightly less than the X2. This is all on water.

Results on both processors using PCmark and 3Dmark are the same for both processors, when using the same memory options and multipliers. Just to alleviate concerns for noobs, who read that "Zebra" thread that showed up a few days ago on some forum somewhere else.

My X2's memory controller crapped out on me and I took it back to where I got it from. It still ended up posting and installed half of windows. So I picked up the 170 to check if it was my mobo that was a fault. So I can't post screenies comparing the X2 vs the 170.

I dunno, but I feel like X2 users are getting the "shaft", because they are paying more money for "inferior" processors. I've read alot of posts indicating that Optys are achieving equal if not better on less volts. I know the opterons get more testing and validation. But as a former X2 user looking back I think it's kinda messed up.

The heatsink/fan cooler on the X2 is definately more solid and seems more substantial than the Dual Opties.
thanks, you've given me a little hope lol... on my x2 i was only running 2 fans on my rad, i bought 4 brand new kingwin fans for my rad, so i'm hoping to lower my temps(flow through the rad with 2 fans was dismal to say the least), but we'll see...

what week and revision is it? i'm gonna be getting a week 30 CCBWE

Sorry, it's underneath a Ninja and AS5 now. I know it was a CCBWE, but I don't know the week.

bona fide, what temps are you hitting under load at those higher speeds?

safe ranges?

At 1.65V, I hit 58C with dual Prime95. At 1.45V, I hit 48C. 1.65V is way too much for my conscience.

Bona Fide said:

Voltage | Max overclock

1.30 | 2500MHz
1.35 | 2580MHz
1.40 | 2650MHz
1.50 | 2780MHz
1.55 | 2850MHz
1.60 | 2900MHz
1.65 | 2950MHz

Have you try to undervoltage it yet? Here is what my Opty 170 will do.

2.7ghz @ 1.3v (CPU-Z = 1.25v)
2.8ghz @ 1.35v (CPU-Z = 1.3v)
2.9ghz @ 1.45v (CPU-Z = 1.39v)
3.0ghz @ 1.586v (CPU-Z = 1.52v)
Played COD 2 for about 2 hours @ 3.0ghz without a hiccup, but SP2004 failed after about 1 hour.
Now only if my stupid X-Fi Extrememusic would stop doing the Crackle and Pops dance, it would be really nice.

Waterboy said:

Played COD 2 for about 2 hours @ 3.0ghz without a hiccup, but SP2004 failed after about 1 hour.
Now only if my stupid X-Fi Extrememusic would stop doing the Crackle and Pops dance, it would be really nice.

Undervolt? Looks like you're overvolting ;)

Are you using a divider for the RAM? I'm thinking that with a divider, I'll get much better OC's.

Alexzander said:
Yes I will!! Just to see how high it can go, then I will bring it back down to 2.6ghz. 2.6 is more than enough for me...lol I will continue to overclock it when I install it in my new a Thermaltake Armour Case. Stay Tune!!

Opteron 165 OC @ 2.6Ghz
Dfi Lan Party NF4 D SLI Motherboard
Ultra X-Connect 500wt Power Supply
2 WD 80G Raptor Raid 0
2 Maxtor 250G IDE Harddrive Raid 0 using Promise TX2000 Raid Controller
1 Maxtor 250G IDE Harddrive for Storage
XFX 6800 OC 430/1008
damn! all that and a x-connect?

Waterboy said:

Is this prime stable?

Bona Fide

At 2.8 and 2.7 what are you seeing for PWM temp? Are you running a DFI NF4 board?

With both cores at load I'm getting 67+ sometimes 70. I'm on water, so my PWM doesn't see the benefit of an aircooled CPU.

Flexion said:
Bona Fide

At 2.8 and 2.7 what are you seeing for PWM temp? Are you running a DFI NF4 board?

With both cores at load I'm getting 67+ sometimes 70. I'm on water, so my PWM doesn't see the benefit of an aircooled CPU.

I only wish I knew what a PWM was...and yes this is on an Ultra-D board.

PWM is where your CPUs power regulation circuitry resides if I am correct. I dunno what the acronym stands for, but you can check that in ITE smartguardian if you've got that installed. It should have come with your board. I'm running a DFI NF4 SLI board, should have the same board layout as yours.

Edit:

PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation. The DFI NF4 (except for the new exptert) all run on 3 phase power circuitry. Which is why I think lots of folks are having trouble hitting the big 3.0.

Yeah...I see it. Ouch. You said your's was near 70C? Mine is sitting at 41C right now. I guess it's because of the P180's fan as well as the Panaflo, pulling heat away.

My PWM idles at 40-41c, but when I get Sandra on the burn-in test (mem test only) stressing both cores at full load, while running 3dmark05 it climbs really slowly up to 67-70!

I stay away from using prime, although it is the de-facto standard, because it's specifically for one type of processing, namely mathematics. Since I game alot and do some video editing on my rig, I find that stressing the memory subsystems with the Sandra Burn-in wizard running with full cpu load but at low CPU priority along with 3dmark running on a constant loop as being the best stability test. I've checked to ensure that both cores are under load when I do this and sure enough they are. Just may be that 3dmark is being done by one of the two cores. But the sandra test fills up any idle time.

In the burn-in wizard of Sandra there's an option to select only the memory bandwidth test. In my old days of running a P4 2.4C, I used to use this Sandra/3dmark test and if my system were to pass a few hours without BSOD. It would never crash during gaming or normal use.

Yesterday I placed a small 60mm fan over the PWMs and I found my system to be stable at 2.9, so I think PWM is the key for good OCs. This is bad news for folks on water, since there's no air moving over the circuits. I'm running a Thermaltake Armor case with two 120mm fans in the front, so I'm getting enough case cooling, but I really feel like I need to put some active cooling there.

It's a real bee-otch, cuz I have to go machine a metal bracket to hang that 60mm fan over the PWMs. Gonna try that in the next few days.

Flexion said:
It's a real bee-otch, cuz I have to go machine a metal bracket to hang that 60mm fan over the PWMs. Gonna try that in the next few days.
120mm for the win. you guys should have airflow goin up there anyway to cool the ram ;)

1_65.jpg

My 165 won't go much higher than 2.7 on water, and stability is iffy. 2.65 is solid.

From all the boards I've been reasing the 165s just don't do 2.8 without extreme cooling and extreme memory.

170s on water seem to be doing well, hitting 2.8 regularly since you can use a lower bus and a higher multi, but is it really worth the price difference? Maybe, maybe not.

Anything higher than the 170 is just too much $$$ per mhz. You know they're going to be half that price is six months.

(cf)Eclipse said:
120mm for the win. you guys should have airflow goin up there anyway to cool the ram ;)

1_65.jpg

Eh, I don't have those flame-throwing Ballistix or Redline modules anyway. Good ol' TCCD, runs nice and cool. :)

@Flexion : With Sandra, Prime95, or SP2004, the PWM maxes out at 52C. I don't think a 60mm fan is cutting it. Try a 120mm fan. It should be quieter and move more air.

Bona Fide,

THx for the tip and taking time to test that out. Now I know I have to do something about those temps. I've got a nice little delta 60mm (sounds like a hair dryer at full rpms) from my old Athlon t-bird days.

120mm would be nice, but it won't fit cuz I'm using both IDE channels and I wanna get that airflow concentrated on the PWMs.

Eclipse you are a madman. Good guide btw. :D

Bona Fide said:
Eh, I don't have those flame-throwing Ballistix or Redline modules anyway. Good ol' TCCD, runs nice and cool. :)
actually... at a given voltage, the tccd is quite a bit hotter than utt-bh and utt-ch ;)
no match for 5b D though, i wouldn't be surprised if two sticks of 1gb ballistix oc'ed to the max draw ~30w

thunder, check out everest

(cf)Eclipse said:
actually... at a given voltage, the tccd is quite a bit hotter than utt-bh and utt-ch ;)
no match for 5b D though, i wouldn't be surprised if two sticks of 1gb ballistix oc'ed to the max draw ~30w

thunder, check out everest

Well who actually runs their BH-5/CH-5/UTT at 2.8V anyway? :D

I don't know actual numbers, sorry - is 30W a lot for RAM?

i've done it.. haha
30w would be a lot for ram. think about how much a cpu puts out ;)

Eclipse - What's that fan mounted to? The end of the screw for the block?

Back