Opteron 165 is 45C at idle, recommend me a new HSF!

syukton

Weaksauce
My stock Opteron 165 is 45C at idle and up to 61C under load. This is totally unacceptable. Temps have slowly been rising over time, but the weather here (and my lack of air conditioning) are likely causing that. I currently have the Scythe FCS-50 and it was doing the job (less than 55c under load) until recently. I want to get those temps down! What are you using on your Opteron 165?

My mobo is an Abit AN8 SLI board. The FCS-50 barely clears my RAM and is a really tight fit. I'd like something a little more comfortable. :D

Also, my case has a side intake fan, but the FCS-50 blocks that airflow because it blows air parallel to the processor surface and not perpendicular as with most HSFs.

scythe ninja and 120mm fan

just so you know though, those temps are not "alarming" per se. dual core opties are quiet hotter than their single core counterpart

I run 44c under load in my hot "studio apartment" type living/bed/everything room (rent rest of house out to sis and hubby) . I was using an xp-120 with 2 120mm fans mounted on it with about same results on x2 [email protected]@2.5ghz (on an A8N-SLi Premium cooler weather).. now I am running an Opteron 170 @ 1.41v @ 2.5ghz with a Thermaltake Big Typhoon (on an A8N32-SLi Deluxe)

load being running prime95, Folding@Home, and watching a movie via VLC mounting a dvd.iso off of secondary drive

Another vote for the Ninja and the TT Big Typhoon, I prefer the Typhoon and a panaflo.

The ninja seems pretty popular, I think I'll go with that. But before I do, anyone have experience with the Scythe Mine?

ninja is badass...but if you want something a bit smaller zalman 9500

how much volts are you feeding your baby? my temps never go above 40C with 1.3-1.4 volts using a Zalman CNPS9500

Scythe Ninja + Nexus is technically the best air cooling you can get, however I prefer the Thermalright SI-120 because it works on more motherboards, in more cases, and allows some air to hit the VRMs.

I just bought the SI-120 myself. The stupid xp-120 wouldnt fit so I had to sell that right after I bought it.

I don't O/C, so I run 1.35 volts. I think I will check out the Ninja, I found a thread on Abit's forums indicating that it not only fits, but fits well. Thanks for all your input.

BIG MOFO TYPHOON kicks asshole. Yeah so does my case the AeroCool 3t idle 20c load 28c opty 165 clocked to 2.5

Back