Opteron 148 now and DualCore later?

SILENCER00

Gawd
So ive read through the entire dual core gaming fix guide and it seems like its going to be a real annoyance running multiple cores - just the fact that im going to need to worry about setting processor affinities manually for applications all the time and enabling/disabling the amd fix depending on the applications I plan on running.... and even after all this people are still having problems which are unsolved to date.

What real world benefits am I going to be seeing from a dual core (most likely the opteron 165) versus going with a single core 145? It almost seems like it would be in my best interest to go with a single core now and just wait and pickup a dual once all this is hashed out. Someone persuade me either way because the decision isnt coming easily on my own :p

If you only play games, that might be true, but if you use your computer for anything other than games, you will benefit from dual core.

I have zero problems with my Opteron. Good overclocker. I like to make videos in game with Fraps, and the dual core helped a lot for me.

Go for the dual core. Anything else is just wasting your money. Almost all games can be fixed manually, It isn't that hard is it...c'mon, and most have patches. Get the dually and be happy.

Drop down to the 146, or step up to the 165. Anything in between really is a waste of money. The 146 should overclock nearly as well, and the 165 is dual-core. Skip the 148.

I definitely do my fair share of gaming and non-gaming activities - but as it is I rarely notice any issues multitasking with my 2.4Ghz mobile barton. I understand the principle behind the dual cores, but I guess I still dont see the benefit.

I'm not trying to make someone pressure me into the DC chips but can you guys tell a practical difference between single and dual? I mean how much more effectively can I encode a dvd while downloading multiple torrents, at the same time as editing some images in photoshop while listening to webradio via winamp and talking on aim and surfing the web? I can already do all this without a single hiccup - am I missing some other additional functionality?

Maybe I should just quit looking for a valid justification and buy the dual core proc :p

I have an Opteron 146... OCs very nicely imo
But I know I multitask. My brother pities my computer from startup. I often use my CPU to its max encoding... an who knows what else I do to waste CPU power.

If I had the opportunity of a good offer price I would trade or sell this CPU for a dual core in a heartbeat. (think trade for x2 slowest for 1:1 or ~$30+ type offer so im not saying its worthess, I just think I can get more use from a dual core)

Yeah its nice to know I can hit 2.75 ghz on stock voltages... but I want more power and I think you will want it too if you got a single core instead of a dual core.

SILENCER00 said:
I definitely do my fair share of gaming and non-gaming activities - but as it is I rarely notice any issues multitasking with my 2.4Ghz mobile barton. I understand the principle behind the dual cores, but I guess I still dont see the benefit.

I'm not trying to make someone pressure me into the DC chips but can you guys tell a practical difference between single and dual? I mean how much more effectively can I encode a dvd while downloading multiple torrents, at the same time as editing some images in photoshop while listening to webradio via winamp and talking on aim and surfing the web? I can already do all this without a single hiccup - am I missing some other additional functionality?

Maybe I should just quit looking for a valid justification and buy the dual core proc :p

all that on a 2.4 barton huh? yeah....if you say so.
the difference is night and day between dual and not. once you have one you realize what all the talk was about, especially if you're running multithreaded apps like photoshop.
I dont know how you came to the conclusion you have to set affinity for everything in games etc. you install the MS patch and amd driver, make a simple regedit and you're good.
Simply put, you dont know what you're missing is all.

Tutelary said:
all that on a 2.4 barton huh? yeah....if you say so.
the difference is night and day between dual and not. once you have one you realize what all the talk was about, especially if you're running multithreaded apps like photoshop.
I dont know how you came to the conclusion you have to set affinity for everything in games etc. you install the MS patch and amd driver, make a simple regedit and you're good.
Simply put, you dont know what you're missing is all.
+1

there is no way that barton does all that without a hiccup. i guess you built a tolerance around the slowness, i do everything you do plus record hdtv and edit/encode homemade videos which eats alot of processing power. and my overclocked single core a64 doesnt cut it for me.

anyways if i was buying now, i would get a dual core.

I have a 165 and i feel like i wasted money which is why i'm selling it and going to a 150. That and i want the high miltiplier. :D

Oh Im sure it could be faster/snappier when I have a bunch of apps running - but the point was that its very rarely that I feel held up waiting for my processor to do its job. I dont doubt it at all that ive built a tolerance around it, but I would hardly call it slow *shrug*. Its merely a case of not realizing that I "need" it until I actually see how much better it can be - and from what it sounds like, I guess I really dont know what Im missing yet hehe.

Anyway, bottom line, thanks for all the comments, I think I'm going to go with the 165.
Though let it be known that if this thing really pisses me off, its all on you!!! :D
(sonofa, why do I keep ending each post with a smiley)

Back