Opportunity to upgrade - 980ti from dual GTX690

AARGH!

Gawd
For Father's day, I have the opportunity to upgrade my video cards, My setup is the following:

MSI Z87-GD65
Intel i7 [email protected]
Dual Asus GTX690
Triple Monitor w/Dell 3xU2410 (5760x1200)

Would a single 980ti be a noticeable improvement, or would it just relieve me of my SLI driver issues?

I am also looking at down the road to swapping out the triple monitors for a single 34"UW, but that is wishful thinking right now.

Right now I am mostly playing Witcher 3, with my eyes on Fallout 4, Arkham Knight, type games.

I appreciate any help on the decision making process (hopefully in time for cards to be back in stock),

Well 4 way SLI is pure garbage so even a single 980 ti will not be much slower overall. Plus you will need more than 2 GB of vram in most newer games.

but...but...

I thought nVidia drivers were magic sauce

I agree with above. Even considering the games you've listed are AAA titles and will likely have good SLI support, you'll still be limited by the 2GB of vram, especially if you're trying to run surround view.

Given that the GM200 is roughly 3x the power of a GK104, and SLI's inability to efficiently use a 4th gpu in most situations, I'd say upgrading to a 980ti would be a sidegrade at worst, but in many cases an improvemnt, as you won't have to rely on good sli scaling, and your vram limit has been tripled.

These are some of the reasons why I'm breaking apart my signature rig to downsize into a mini itx system with a 980ti.

but...but...

I thought nVidia drivers were magic sauce
jZsQMHG.jpg

Drivers inside.

These are some of the reasons why I'm breaking apart my signature rig to downsize into a mini itx system with a 980ti.
That's exactly what I did and couldn't be more pleased. I can't imagine ever going back to a big PC.

Had quad-SLI with 2x690 - it was cool and all but yeah - exotic configs have next-to-zero official support. This is not unique on either side (red/green).

Get one or two of the latest and greatest and be happy. 3-way at most. Even then - prepare to get very little support.

From my experience, 2 x SLI is generally excellent but 3x and especially 4x can provide erratic performance.
I doubt that NVIDIA put a lot in resources in drivers optimization for ultra niche setups as 3x/4x SLI.

Thanks everyone, now I just have to wait for them to get back in stock. Newegg had some bundle with EVGA and their 750w Powersupply, but before I could check to see if the PSU was any good it was sold out.

Any rumours when these will be back in stock? I went ahead and took a chance on the Gigabyte pre-order, seems to be the first non-stock card coming out (or at least has a date). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125787

Last edited:
Back