Opportunity presents itself...

The Cobra

2[H]4U
So working as an IT director/Teacher for a local private school in the DC metro area, I was contacted by another IT director to see if we had any use for basically brandnew (some of them still in packaging) Lenovo Tiny M715q small form factor desktop units with the 23 inch monitor that you add the machine too and it basically functions as an "All in One" for $400 each. They ordered them last year and are willing to part with them for a loss because the machines were donated to the school. The machines are the AMD A12-9800 version with 12GB of ram and R7 graphics. His school also has 4 additional monitors that are 27 inch in size that run at 2560x1440. With the wear and tear these machines will get over the next 3 years from K-4 grades learning to type and basic coding, I think I'll be good in that respect...

My boss said go for it and we purchased them. I also had a hairbrain idea. My mother has been pestering me for a nice desktop machine where it is "all together" she loves to come home from her nursing job and do her facebook crap and look at pics of the grandkids. I can purchase one of these machines from my school with the bigger monitor and give it to her as a combined moms day and birthday present. Her last computer lasted her 8 years and she doesn't like to use a laptop. I think one of these machines will fit the bill, but I am worried about the eventual bitching of "It's too slow.."

Has anyone else had any luck with these types of machines? The reviews have been pretty basic and can't semem to see anything in-depth.

Thx.

I have used that form factor from several vendors, Lenovo, Dell, HP.

They are pretty decent machines for someone who will never think about upgrading them.

give it to her as a combined moms day and birthday present.

Don't be that guy, get her two presents.

My mom has her birthday the day after christmas and people in the family do the same thing to her all the time which is a big disappointment in her eyes.

As for the machines, if you can get them for dirt cheap, then that's the only use for them. The A12-9800 is so terrible that a Pentium G4560 outperforms it by more than 50% in many cases.

If all the kids are going to do is typing or light internet browsing, that's good because that's all these cheap garbage AIOs are good for. I've had a few customers over the years get conned into buying these types of machines by slick hotrod salesmen saying the machine can do anything, when in reality they're trash CPUs with inflated RAM and a big screen to make them look like they're worth something. I'll get a call from someone who just bought one of these machines claiming it doesn't work, is slow or randomly locks up. I hate having to always tell them they got hoodwinked and they'll have to buy a real computer.

AIO PCs are all the disadvantages of cheaply manufactured laptop parts combined with all the disadvantages of bulky, immobile desktop form factors.

Basically the worst of all worlds.

Reliability is the biggest concern, for a family member, a basic pentium with an SSD is faster than anything most people have ever used.

semem sounds like a new word for prejaculate :)

Concerning those machines, I'm not a fan of AIO's for myself, but I've seen some pretty great ones for older gen that work wonderfully. Pair it with a cheapo 128 gig ssd or 256 gig ssd and I have a feelig you have a machine that's super nice for the next 8 years again.

Back