Opinions/Suggestions on Encrypting Main SSDs in Laptops & Home Server...

bob4432

Limp Gawd
I have been thinking about this for some time and am having trouble coming to a conclusion, so maybe the hive can help me out. Due to health issues, I have been a bit out of the tech loop for the last couple of years, so please bear with me. My wife and I have moved to using laptops as our main machines. For us, they have become desktop replacements - we are running Lenovo T440s units (w/ T450 touchpads) w/ i5-4300u cpus (mine 1920x1080, hers 1600x900) mine has a Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD and she has a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD, both have 8GB of Ram. They are used from anything from web, email, normal web stuff up to and including 3d modeling (SolidWorks among others) along with circuit & pcb design and obviously no gaming. Most importantly, since these are used as daily use machines, they also contain personal, sensitive information that I would like to keep just between my wife and I. Nothing illegal, just personal, life planning type stuff that nobody needs to know about including banking, mining account keys, etc, stuff that if were to be compromised would be a real PITA to recover from. Both of us browse 'smartly' but as they say, sh!t happens.

I am using the free version of Macrium backing up to the home server which has 1SSD w/ 2HDDs in a Raid1 array, and I am in the process of picking up a couple of external USB3 drives (deciding on 2.5 or 3.5"...) that will be rotated offsite, more than likely in one of our Credit Union's Safety Deposit Boxes.

The home server keeps digital copies of our most watched movies, digital copies of our music and also serves as the media server/player connected to the main TV, again also with the Macrium backups and since I am using the free version, they are not password protected.

My question for the hive, which HDDs/SSDs would you fully encrypt and using what tools? FWIW, all machines are running the most up-to-date version of Win10Pro. Also, how do you feel about Macrium? I have used Ghost (both corporate and home users) and Acronis, and unfortunately got bit by both.

Thanks,
Bob

With the T440s you could see if they still support lenovos HPM (hardware password manager). That will use the onboard TPM chip and the SSDs hardware encryption to encrypt the entire drive. I used this at my previous company, but we were attaching it to Winmagic Securedoc for remote auditing/administration. You would need to check if HPM can run by itself to encrypt just your laptop.

With the T440s you could see if they still support lenovos HPM (hardware password manager). That will use the onboard TPM chip and the SSDs hardware encryption to encrypt the entire drive. I used this at my previous company, but we were attaching it to Winmagic Securedoc for remote auditing/administration. You would need to check if HPM can run by itself to encrypt just your laptop.
Will look into it, Thanks

Back