Opinions... Poor Trader Form!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolRoger90

Limp Gawd
I'm a bit "peeved" about a transaction that fell through for me this weekend.

I reached an agreement to purchase a chip and sent payment via Paypal.

The "Seller" confirmed receipt of payment via PM.

Late last night/early morning... The "Seller" sends me a PM backing out of the deal... :(

This morning I also received a PayPal refund to my account.

His PM response posted below:

Re: Q9650

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, I am really sorry about this but I'm going to have to refund you.

A good friend of mine wants the chip when he heard that I sold it so I decided to give it to him.

Apologies for ruining your plans.

Sincerely,

"The Seller"

yes it sucks, but you have your money, so all you are out is time. i can see how he'd rather sell to a friend, doesn't have to ship and no paypal fees.

add to do not trade list and move on.

Well, you got your money back in a timely manner. I wouldn't complain too much about it. If you're that mad about it, just put him on your personal DNT list.

Kind of a bummer for you, for sure, but shit happens. Being "peeved" seems like a legitimate reaction but I don't see anything wrong with the trader's form imho. He even honestly told you why he backed out and apologized for it when he could have just said "decided against the trade" and left it at that.

Well... He did say he was sorry and he did refund my payment.

I guess... I'm just perturbed that he agreed to sell to me and then changed his mind and backed out. I think not following through with an agreement is "bad form".

Anyways... Like it has already been mentioned... Let it go and move on.

Well... He did say he was sorry and he did refund my payment.

I guess... I'm just perturbed that he agreed to sell to me and then changed his mind and backed out. I think not following through with an agreement is "bad form".

Anyways... Like it has already been mentioned... Let it go and move on.

This isn't OCFORUMS unfortunately they let some shit fly here that would never happen over there without bans. At the end of the day know the trader and where he's from and their history. If it's a newer person that only trades here and other places with more LOOSE rules than you can expect shit. If they have some years and started out around OCF you can expect more honorable practices, also age has a lot to do with it.

I think if he refunded you within 24 hours its not that big of a deal. However, this one is pretty close to a neutral feedback given that money exchanged hands and a transaction occured. I don't think the "oh I decided to give it to someone else" is a very good excuse. I wouldn't blame you if you went either way.

Depend how long money exchanged hands. If immediately refunded, I wouldnt leave neutral. But if it took sometime, I would. There were a case, someone sold me something that I listed on WTB, and with the money from me, paid to some1 else, while his funds being transferred to paypal. So if he did notuse your money as a loan, just be happy, it did not take 3-4 days to get your refund.

This is one of those gray areas when it comes to heatware.

Money officially changed hands, so you're entitled to post whatever reference you see fit. No harm-no foul imho, I wouldn't give it more than a neutral for any reason, especially if the seller seemed genuine enough about the whole situation. Then again, in my case if I didn't have to specifically beg for the item or a refund and then get this as a lame excuse, I would personally deal with it as a non-transaction... but that's just me.

He actually refunded payment about the same time he sent the PM (early A.M.) and told me he was not going to honor the agreement.

I care about my trader rep...

I don't think it worth risking possibly not having perfect Heat and getting into something over a neutral evaluation.

The funds came back... Time to move on.

Wouldn't let it bother me too much. I'd say the guy is acting honestly and you experienced only a minor inconvenience. No harm, no foul. Time to move on :)

No real harm done but I probably wouldn't do business with that seller again.

I think Neutral HEAT is totally justifiable...the guy sold you the item and then backed out to sell it to his friend. That's not good business. If he tries to post retaliation HEAT then contact HEATWare and get it removed, since there is zero reason for him to be doing that.

Once money changes hands......it is a done deal.

Yes.... This is basically my trading philosophy.

If he didn't want to sell to me or he had some reservations about doing the deal... He shouldn't have said "yes" and sent me his PayPal addy.

I had this same thing happen. And like Rattle said, it happened here. There are more and more people that this is happening too as well and its getting bad here at HF.

I only see it getting worse as well considering the attitude towards these kind of sellers. I really do not understand how people can think its ok that this takes place just because he was refunded. The man paid for something, sent payment, and the seller had his money. Regardless if its immediate or not, money changed hands and a deal was made. Just because it was easier on the seller to sell to someone local should not be OK to back out of a deal that was already made.

Think about if this happens on ebay. Seller sells an item, money changes hands, seller decides to keep or sell the item elsewhere, negative feedback is left. Im not sure how people think its OK to do it here.

Id leave the guy neutral feedback on heat with a link to this thread. If he leaves retaliatory feedback, Id comment on it with a link to this thread as well.

You sent him the money so its a done deal...he backed out of an agreement so any neutral or negative feedback you give is justifiable. He doesn't like it then don't pull that shit and honor the deal.

I gotta say, that seems like a pretty friendly and understandable explanation. He probably didn't feel great about it. I wouldn't leave any feedback on that. I'm with whoever said, no harm no foul. Sorry about the let down, though. I know what that's like as well.

I gotta say, that seems like a pretty friendly and understandable explanation. He probably didn't feel great about it. I wouldn't leave any feedback on that. I'm with whoever said, no harm no foul. Sorry about the let down, though. I know what that's like as well.

And this is what I do not understand. This mentality that nothing is wrong with backing out of a sale AFTER its been completed on the money end. An agreement was made, money was sent. Barring something catastrophic, the product should be sent. Cancelling the deal AFTER he received money just to sell to his friend is poor practice. I mean seriously? You did not ask your friend first anyways if he wanted it? And if he said no first and you posted it for sale, then fuck him friend or not.

I guess I pride myself on selling and keeping a good reputation. I want my items to arrive timely and not damaged. Have I had issues over the years with things? By all means yes. I guess I shorted a guy a few ram sinks on a video card cooler by mistake. Genuine mistake. Offered him a refund first which he did not want, so I paid for a complete new set of heatsinks for him. Shit happens but backing out of a deal should not go unnoticed.

I've had this happen to be 3-4 times already. I dont see what the big deal is. one time the person strait said they decided to keep it and refunded me 12 hours later. I didnt even get upset. I got my money and kept looking for a deal.

Personally, I wouldn't leave feedback at all, and if you feel obligated to leave feedback neutral at best. I don't see this warranting negative feedback. Seller wasn't being malicious and refunded money promptly. It's not like he said, "I'm getting more money for it from a different buyer."

Would you feel better if he says he damaged it while packaging it for shipment? I wouldn't worry too much about it, you got your money back.

...The only reason I could see getting upset over this is if it showed up for sale again at a higher price.

It's not about being upset or not, it's about RULES or the lack there of and how it's very lax around here and almost anything goes, people get away with murder and do not get banned from the classifieds.
Other places are more strict for a reason, and you don't have to deal with idiots. I'm fine with working with someone on either end of a deal but getting a refund for whatever reason after the fact without even being asked is bullshit. You put something up for sale, you receive payment, unless otherwise agreed upon it should go out within 24 hours and tracking sent no matter what. When I sell something I strive to make the other person happy and I only like dealing with people that do the same. I've had a couple rather shitty experiences one here and one on XS and as far as I know admins wouldn't do dick about keeping the people out of the classies. On OCF they would be instantly banned for life for idiot shenanigans. Obviously I have had many good experiences here also with people with long time rep and heatware but you can't go dealing with just anyone. There's a lot of little kiddies around these days that don't get it.

^^^ I agree Rattle.

It is all about the principle and the character of how you personally feel should be the proper way to conduct business.

The "laissez-fair" attitude and opinions of what some here considered to be acceptable trading behavior at [H] is somewhat surprising.

This thread is pretty much done
Many of you have stated your opinion. I believe there are enough choices for the OP to make an informed decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back