Opinions on Valkyria Chronicles

VC on ps3 and
VC3 on psp are worth picking up
VC2...you.... you on the other hand....

Yes totally worth it. After you figure out Scout rushing and S rank all the missions go back through and play it by killing everyone and using all your units, alot more fun imo.

One of the best tactical squad games released in relatively recent years, imo.

It was good, but I felt it was massively overrated. Once you get the mechanics down pat the battles end up being way too easy.

A big part of RPG's is the story, for me.
How's the story?

I must admit I didn't like it at first. Note I'm not a big anime fan so the characters had to grow on me. The way it was told took some getting used to for me as well. It's split in like little videos and placed in a book, not all animated but all of them voiced.

I love it now but it took me till about Chapter 7 before I really got into it.

I have VC still sealed on the shelf. Shame on me :( I did the same thing with UC 1 and boy was it a mistake to wait so long.

I liked the game, but I didn't like the feeling of having to play a certain way in order to succeed and not lose any troops. Some levels it feels like only a certain strategy would be successful and you need to go through a guide to do it without losing people.

And there are quite a few levels where the difficulty jumps orders of magnitude without any real warning. Easy, Easy, Normal, Easy, OMFG Scratch your eyes out unless you know the one strategy that stomps on them.

Maybe it is just me. I just don't like feeling like I have to play a game a certain way. Especially when a lot of it revolves around certain strategies that wouldn't make any sense if certain character types weren't overpowered / combinations of abilities that turn on near godmode.

Reading about this makes me want to play it again. Not sure if i beat it or not the first go around lol. I agree that sometimes you have to rush through it to get the best score, replaying it and killing every unit sounds a lot more fun. I wish they released a proper sequel for the ps3.

I picked it up when it first hit 20 bucks after all the people who were talking about it. So far I have only put two hours into the game and haven't played since. So I guess I can see how some might say its hard to get into until later in the game. But I dunno, the storybook presentation just doesn't grab me. Is there something I haven't gotten to yet that makes this game so good?

I picked it up when it first hit 20 bucks after all the people who were talking about it. So far I have only put two hours into the game and haven't played since. So I guess I can see how some might say its hard to get into until later in the game. But I dunno, the storybook presentation just doesn't grab me. Is there something I haven't gotten to yet that makes this game so good?

^^^^See my post above. Took me awhile to see what was so great about this game. Its slow start doesn't help.

The game gets better as you go along. At the start you're somewhat limited in how many troops you can deploy, their variety, and unit tactics based who likes who and who performs well in what situations ie (cities, grass, whatever).

As you go along you'll get more of the specialized troops, another tank, and a lot of really unique people. Once you level them up your perks really start to show up and weaponry gets a metric fuck ton better.

It's rather like most Japanese strategic games in this fashion. It gets insanely better once you've level'd up and gets get going. Prior to that though it can be a grind.

Back