Opinions on This Lite-On BD ROM Drive?

TerranUp16

[H]ard|Gawd
Both of my five year old CD/DVD drives that I carried over from my old PC (whose motherboard bit the dust last summer) to my new one have conked out, leaving me with only my newer Asus CD/DVD drive that I bought last summer. In modern times you'd think one drive would be enough but it gets to be rather annoying since I use my PC for everything- particularly when I'm at my dorm as my PC and its dual monitors serves as my primary gaming platform, DVD player, TV, etc... Net result is that there are a few DVD's that I typically always keep in-drive which I then usually like to leave one additional drive open then for hot-swapping in whatever I need.

Anyway, I want to replace the dead drives with a Blu-Ray drive (which will solve my HD movie issue- just have not yet found a good digital distro service for that yet) and don't much care about Blu-Ray burning- primarily interested in it for playing movies. So I've been looking around at drives and have been trying to find something palettable and affordable for that and [ur=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106292]this[/url] seems like it's got quite a bit of potential. Since the NewEgg page isn't very forthcoming with specs, I looked them up myself. 8x Blu-Ray ROM read speed, 16x DVD, and 48x CD. The only blemish I can find on the drive is the 2MB buffer which seems a bit small compared to others I've seen but most of those seem to be burners and/or lack the rather good read speeds of this one.

Was wondering if anyone has any comments on this specific drive from usage or better familiarity with optical drive specs and/or if anyone has any other suggestions I should consider.

Honestly, I'd go for the LG GGC-H20L. It's only 6x BD and 40x CD, but that's really not going to make a huge difference when playing Blu-ray movies or reading CD-ROMs. It's got a 4MB buffer and is $20.00 less and has a free shipping option.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106292

EDIT: I guess I should mention that I've had this drive since September of last year and have had zero problems with it.

Honestly, I'd go for the LG GGC-H20L. It's only 6x BD and 40x CD, but that's really not going to make a huge difference when playing Blu-ray movies or reading CD-ROMs. It's got a 4MB buffer and is $20.00 less and has a free shipping option.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106292

EDIT: I guess I should mention that I've had this drive since September of last year and have had zero problems with it.

You linked to the Lite-on drive, here's the LG drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136154

I've had that drive for a few weeks. Works great, but the Lite-On is faster.

I used to always use Lite-On drives but lately I've been using LG. Same price point (at least on their DVD Burners) and they're very quiet. I don't know how loud the Lite-On Blu Ray drives are, but their DVD drives are noisy as hell.

Both of my five year old CD/DVD drives that I carried over from my old PC (whose motherboard bit the dust last summer) to my new one have conked out, leaving me with only my newer Asus CD/DVD drive that I bought last summer. In modern times you'd think one drive would be enough but it gets to be rather annoying since I use my PC for everything- particularly when I'm at my dorm as my PC and its dual monitors serves as my primary gaming platform, DVD player, TV, etc... Net result is that there are a few DVD's that I typically always keep in-drive which I then usually like to leave one additional drive open then for hot-swapping in whatever I need.

Anyway, I want to replace the dead drives with a Blu-Ray drive (which will solve my HD movie issue- just have not yet found a good digital distro service for that yet) and don't much care about Blu-Ray burning- primarily interested in it for playing movies. So I've been looking around at drives and have been trying to find something palettable and affordable for that and [ur=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106292]this[/url] seems like it's got quite a bit of potential. Since the NewEgg page isn't very forthcoming with specs, I looked them up myself. 8x Blu-Ray ROM read speed, 16x DVD, and 48x CD. The only blemish I can find on the drive is the 2MB buffer which seems a bit small compared to others I've seen but most of those seem to be burners and/or lack the rather good read speeds of this one.

Was wondering if anyone has any comments on this specific drive from usage or better familiarity with optical drive specs and/or if anyone has any other suggestions I should consider.

I've got pioneers, liteons and LG blu drives and none of them have any issues. That doesn't really help you but I primarily wanted to comment on the software side. Unless you already have a solution for playing blu-rays, you may want to consider a drive that has non-trial software included. If you have to shell out for something like powerdvd in addition to the drive, that could cost a bit.

Hm, have seen some software-side problems reported for the LG. Planning on running whatever drive I go with on Vista x64 (generally not much of an issue nowadays for newer stuff like this but there is always the occasional product that just doesn't feel like supporting it) though ofc I'm not sure if the aforementioned issues apply to Vista x64 incompatibilities or something but it's probably pertinent to mention nevertheless. Guessing though that ryan, you run Vista x64 given your primary build listed is one with 8GB of RAM?

Hm, have seen some software-side problems reported for the LG. Planning on running whatever drive I go with on Vista x64 (generally not much of an issue nowadays for newer stuff like this but there is always the occasional product that just doesn't feel like supporting it) though ofc I'm not sure if the aforementioned issues apply to Vista x64 incompatibilities or something but it's probably pertinent to mention nevertheless. Guessing though that ryan, you run Vista x64 given your primary build listed is one with 8GB of RAM?

Yes, Vista Ultimate x64 was my main OS until last January, Then Win7 until now. Never had a single problem with the drive.

Back