Opinions on the Logitech G502 Mouse?

So, I used to have a MadCatz R.A.T. 5 long ago. I loved the comfort of the mouse and it's features..... but it's sensor was meh and it's reliability was utter garbage. I had to repair it several times, until I couldn't even fix it anymore when it broke again.

Currently I am on a Corsair M45. It has decent build quality, and it's sensor is fairly good, but the one feature I miss from it that my RAT5 had is a snipe button (the side buttons are also a bit farther to reach than my RAT5 were).

I had tried looking up other mice now and then, mainly going by the list at https://sensor.fyi/mice/ for which mice have a good sensor, but wasn't able to really find anything good that also had a snipe button and didn't cost a lot.

But then a group was talking to me about how they loved how their Logitech G502 has a switch to set the wheel into frictionless mode and has side-scrolling, and while I wasn't too interested in these features when I looked it up out of curiosity I noticed that it both seems to have a popular good sensor (at least the non-hero version, no idea what the proprietary sensor on the hero version is like) and has a snipe button.

Seems like everything I was looking for in a mouse, but I also wanted to ask people's opinions on that one. Especially since I haven't had much good history with Logitech input devices. Is this a good mouse? Is it reliable? Also, and advice on how the sensor on the normal G502 compares to the one on the Hero version?

I'll preface my comments by saying all mice lack imagination, true ergonomics and innovation we can use. What improvements we do see are mainly hype and of little real value. You will never use the max tracking value in normal gaming so stacking your claim on the highest dpi or most sensitive is superfluous. My favorite mouse of all time was the FUNC MS-32 That said, I have a 502 because like the MS-32 It has the right amount of programmable buttons in the right place for my favorite gaming genre, FPS.

The 502 felt a bit cheap to me at first but compared to others I've used (too many to count) maybe that was about how light it was and since that's a thing now maybe you'll like it. I have a large hand and was spoiled by the MS-3
2 width and support for the ring and pinky fingers. The G502 felt very narrow to me and I suppose great for those with long fingers, and narrow large hands, so the length I found quite nice. I also like the button arrangement and the 11 programmable button availability (snipe button). Tracking lag and accuracy was excellent although I maxed out at 6500 DPI in most games and rarely used 9500 dpi. or above that. I probably used 800 more than 9500 for sniping. Software is better than some but has room for improvement. There is no doubt it's a high quality mouse and reasonably priced for what you get and my grandson who O handed it down to loves it.

I had the same issue with the MadCatz so, I feel your pain but I liked its customize ability not much more.

I really like the Corsair M65 pro RGB excellent in everyway (snipe button) except width and that pinky thing. Its an eco system thing too for me I use a K70, ST100 and MM800 which limits the running apps in the system tray.

Okay so back to the whole all mice are lacking thing.
We have 5 digits on our hand why can't we have a button for each digit? and stop dragging fingers around unsupported by anything but air. We aren't drinking tea out of a tea cup where its fashionable to point those digits up. I know I know but, people said crazy things about the mouse when it was invented it hand only one button now it's indispensable and 11 buttons are niche but desirable by many. We just need to put those button in reach of our other digits and give my thump and index finger a break. lol rant over....

Last edited:
I think the 502 is one of the worst mice I have ever used, I can't stand the ergonomics of that thing, I kept accidentally pressing that damn snipe button, strangely enough a lot of people realy like it, to each their own.

I think the 502 is one of the worst mice I have ever used, I can't stand the ergonomics of that thing, I kept accidentally pressing that damn snipe button, strangely enough a lot of people realy like it, to each their own.
That second left click button? Yea, I disabled that. What a stupid design.

I don't mind mine. I'm adjusted to it. My previous mouse had a scroll wheel thing that would roll forward and back. This one is a click button. That was probably the biggest adjustment I had. I feel like the middle mouse button is a bit clunky. I use that for keybinds in World of Warcraft.

Not a bad mouse. I'd buy it again.

I love mine. Fits my hand nearly perfectly, i love the extra buttons on the left click and the "aim" button is what I have toggled for reload in most games (back in general windows usage) and its really comfortable to hit.

Also the damn thing only cost me $25 and for that price it was an absolute steal, especially because the two mice I used before it cost $60 and $80 and neither of them lasted as long as this one has.

I also really like how sensitive the sensor is. I know that every mouse these days has a ridiculous sensor, but I keep mine around 10,000dpi normally and this mouse handles that very well. (I'm a fringe case.)

$25? Geez, that's a rather insane price. Currently $50-60 on Amazon.

Still not 100% clear on the difference between normal and Hero though, especially how the sensor fares.

Mine's a G502 Hero, it's just the sensor.
Mine's actually the Hero SE, which means it has these weird white accents that apparently didn't sell well - which is probably why it was selling for <$30 around black friday 2019*. (I got mine from Bestbuy - found the deal on r/buildapcsales.)

I have a 502 hero that I no longer use for my gaming PC. The switches in the left and right mouse button started to fail on me in about 5 months of use. Waaaay sooner than my previous g500. Looking at reviews it seems this is a common problem. I got a replacement from logitech, but am using a razer basilisk v2 now. I like the feel of the switches better in the 502. It feels like there is less creep and they actuate with a nice click. The razer switches feel a little softer and squishier. It isn't terrible, so I live with it. I wanted a more reliable mouse so I went with the basilisk. I have been using logitech mice exclusively since the mx 510. But the switch issue pushed me into the razer camp for now.

I can comment on the original 502 with the 3366 sensor. Shape took some getting used to but I grew to like the little thumb 'shelf' at bottom. The snipe button was a bit of a strech to hit, and I would occasionally click back button while moving around. Right and Left buttons were very sensitive and tactile which I liked but found myself accidentally right clicking a lot. Weight adjustable but a little on the heavy side if that bothers you. The wheel was really nice on it. Metallic feel to it and enough mass to spin for a long time in the selectable freewheel mode. Forward and backward scroll and side to side tilt. The only thing could've made it better is a little rubber strip for better grip but it was excellent as-is. As much as I like the 3366 sensor and the wheel it just didn't 'fit' me well and I moved on from it...

As far as the 502 Hero I think the only diff is the sensor... maybe build materials and/or quality.

Have you looked at the Corsair M65? IIRC it uses a 3360 sensor. Aluminum base, seems to be very solid. It's fairly big and heavy. Has a almost-too-easy to reach snipe button. The wheel is not bad but not as good as the 502 (no tilt or freewheel). This one was comfortable and I liked it but IIRC stopped using it cause the RGB got annoying and I didnt want to install their iCue software.

Currently using the 'new' MX518 Hero. The Hero sensor in it is snappy and responsive. I'm not noticing any annoying correction or smoothing with it so I like it so far. May not meet your criteria since it has a mundane wheel and no shift button but is a great comfortable mouse.

I don't FPS much and not competitvely... the skills are perishable so I doubt I'd notice the diff between these 3 sensors at this point. There was a time I could (or at least though so). Also probably not qualified to comment on longevity since I don't put in the hours (and button clicks) I used to, but I hope this helps.

IMO get one from somewhere with a good return policy and give it a try. 3366 version may be harder to find and thus more expensive. 502 Hero goes on sale frequently. If you get dreaded 'double click' issue Logitech was very good about honoring warranties.

speaking of on sale frequently - the 502 Hero RGB is $39.99 at Best Buy or $49.99 from Logitech right now!

Last edited:
My opinion on 502 is that it's a great mouse but the snipe button is placed retardedly. It's way too far for my thumb to reach so I always have to stretch.
I play MMORPGs and I have it bound as Shift to be able to use it in combination with other buttons. I'm considering other mice. Maybe Razer Naga Trinity.

I love mine. Just upgraded to the lightspeed version from wired hero. Keep in mind I'm a palm style user have been using this shape of mice since the Alienware Tactx. The only complaint is my thumb is not long enough to reach on demand DPI shift without adjusting my hand.

I've never considered myself to have large hands or anything, but my thumb very easily overlaps the DPI button on the 502 without stretching or any peculiar grip.
Of course, I guess I claw grip and have for many years.

1611170007329.png

Reactions: drklu
like this
I like mine and have had it for several years. I have the older Proteus Core model and have not had any issue with it at all. I don't really use the weight system that came with it.

I have folded the cord many times since my gaming unit is portable now and I thought for sure that this was going to wear the cord out- but no. Still going strong.

I've never considered myself to have large hands or anything, but my thumb very easily overlaps the DPI button on the 502 without stretching or any peculiar grip.
Of course, I guess I claw grip and have for many years.

View attachment 320816

I don't grip like that.
My fingers are closer to the middle. So when I have to grab the snipe button, I have to not just stretch my thumb but move the whole arm forward.

Anyway I ordered Redragon M908 Impact. It's a Razer Naga clone, way cheaper, got good reviews and apparently Redragon used to make perhipherials for Razer before they become a separate company.

Last edited:
Old thread, not sure if you got it.

Same as Ihaveworms. Within 1 year the buttons are starting to fail. Dealing with Logitech customer service is definitely the nightmares that you hear about when companies solicit offshore employees. No offense to the rest of the world but it just a fact from my experiences that USA reps are more knowledgeable with better service.

Anyway. To sum it up, the mouse feels great but it is not reliable whatsoever. The ghub software is a Nightmare that also doesnt work well and overall I would never recommend this mouse to anyone.

Currently I am looking for a mouse that feels just as smooth and as nice but one that is reliable and has good software that works.

I love mine. I have the wireless "Lightspeed" one, which was pretty damn expensive...but worth it. At first the button placement wasn't too my liking (I have to really reach my thumb to hit it), but that's actually kinda nice when mapping occasional functions to it. It's something I'll never hit by mistake, so it's good for things like grenades and melee attacks.
No issues with left click so far after 18 months, but I have had that with Logitech mice in the past. The optional weights allow you to customize the feel of things.
Overall I really dig it.

Not going to lie, but the G502 took the longest to adjust to of any mouse Ive ever owned.

With that said, I'm hooked on it. Precision, comfort, and the buttons are all placed where I need them to be. It's been more than a solid piece of hardware for all my gaming and work needs.

Probably going to get another G502 once this one takes the boot.

Absolutely love the G502.

And the fast scroll wheel lock and unlock has been an amazing feature that I wish more mice would have.

Gaming mice are always a subjective thing. I suppose thats true for any mouse really. Everyone has a different style and hand size, so there is no universal truth that people look for in a gaming mouse.

I have been gaming since the 90's and used like probably at least a 50-100 different mice over the years. My take on the G502.

Its a mouse for people with smaller hands or maybe those with claw grips?

For me, I have fairly big hands and I could never get into the G502. I just dont see how anyone with big hands would like the G502. My main issues with it was everything feels cramped and cluttered. It has way too many unnecessary buttons and I was always accidentally hitting buttons I didnt mean to press. It was basically impossible to use consistently. I had to return it.

I will however say, the G402 has been one of my all time favorite mice over the years. Its sort of similar to the G502, but it is still very different. Less clutter, less buttons, a little bit different grip. I have like 3 of them as backups.

Within the last year I have transitioned into using Roccat Kain Aimo 100/102 though. That is my main mouse now.

I think the G502 is one of those love it or hate it mice. I cant stand it myself.

So far I have a G502 and I like it. The grip comes closer to the Logitech g9 and g9x vs some other mice that I have used which I like. I sorely still miss the G9.

This is an interesting and somewhat troubling thread. The only issue I have been having is this intermittent "suddenly spins real fast" that happens in a game. I have done uninstall reinstall drivers and things of this nature. I have made sure everything is clean as well. I am not 100 percent sure what is going on here. It happens regardless of whether Ghub is on or not.

that's the 1st thing that fail on my g502. A mistake that I bought it

then eventually the buttons also fail

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Enhance GX-M1 (don't buy from newegg, they are double, over price by 2X)

I just don't how to find a mouse that last w/i the warranty period anymore. Prior to 2014, I use Compaq / HP desktop only, and whenever those mouse fails, I claim it under warranty. After 2014, I got my own silent PC, and start w/ a Mad Cartz 7, it fails under warranty, got a new replacement from Mad Catz, but in btwn. that time, I already bought the G502

the G502 fails under warranty, Logitech won't replace it, they jerk me around and won't respond to my warranty claim, they are spineless. So I then switch back to these cheap mouse and use them for a while. Then just last week, I ordered the above mouse from Enhance.

I bought it because it's braided and c/w 3 yr. warranty (you have to register w/i 30 days to get the 3 yr.)

Last edited:
like this
update: I got the GX-M1 for a few days. I really like it. IT has 7 different LED color on those circuit board like display, the color constantly changing. The cable is braided, and the side is rubber, nice feeling. 3 yr. warranty, less than $20. If you don't need any extra fire button on your mouse, this would be it. The left / right button feels solid.

like this
That second left click button? Yea, I disabled that. What a stupid design.

I don't mind mine. I'm adjusted to it. My previous mouse had a scroll wheel thing that would roll forward and back. This one is a click button. That was probably the biggest adjustment I had. I feel like the middle mouse button is a bit clunky. I use that for keybinds in World of Warcraft.

Not a bad mouse. I'd buy it again.
So, update on this.

Mouse is fine, but to HELL with this stupid G-Hub software. I always have to reload it. Rarely works. The setup is garbage. Both keyboard and mouse are ruined because of it. Macros barely ever run. Programs never load. If it weren't for the software, solid setup.

I'm actually shopping right now for another setup.

like this
Mouse with the best snipe button that I've used, only mouse that use a downward snipe button I've ever seen. You WILL NOT accidentally activate it when moving the mouse. Pretty comfy and reliable, I started with a 700M before the evo but it still work after many years. Center mouse wheel can get a bit noisy over time but just a bit of WD-40 and it's fine.:

https://cougargaming.com/us/products/mice/700m-evo/

Software is a bit basic but at least when I activate a profile it works in game 100% of the time.

like this
Mouse with the best snipe button that I've used, only mouse that use a downward snipe button I've ever seen. You WILL NOT accidentally activate it when moving the mouse. Pretty comfy and reliable, I started with a 700M before the evo but it still work after many years. Center mouse wheel can get a bit noisy over time but just a bit of WD-40 and it's fine.:

https://cougargaming.com/us/products/mice/700m-evo/

Software is a bit basic but at least when I activate a profile it works in game 100% of the time.
That actually looks pretty intriguing.

Think I'd be going for the Steelseries Rival 5 as my G502 replacement though.
https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-5

like this
So far I have a G502 and I like it. The grip comes closer to the Logitech g9 and g9x vs some other mice that I have used which I like. I sorely still miss the G9.

This is an interesting and somewhat troubling thread. The only issue I have been having is this intermittent "suddenly spins real fast" that happens in a game. I have done uninstall reinstall drivers and things of this nature. I have made sure everything is clean as well. I am not 100 percent sure what is going on here. It happens regardless of whether Ghub is on or not.

Similar boat. My current G9 is lightly acting up. Tracking is occasionally off. The optics look clean. It was a durable mouse considering it was purchased 13 years ago. Replaced the skates once and the outer casing twice. Outlasted Mx518 and MX510 by quite a bit...Testing various mice I picked up onsale over the years. G602, G402, G502 , MX master 2s and Razer Basilisk X Hyper speed. Trouble finding a mouse with the same G9 build quality. Basically expecting to need to replace switches.

Last edited:
like this
I use it for playing dota 2 and the side buttons plays a good role in binding my units on it and are very helpful for me.

I have the Hero and its a wonderful mouse, incredibly good tracking. And it doesnt pause when lifted then replaced, it starts tracking immediately once put down.
But the main button switch has a very short life.
My left button started missing + double clicking after a little more than a year.
I took the button apart, bent the spring on the lever to give it a heavier contact which worked for about 1.5 years but am now in the same situation again.
To reduce problems I lowered the Polling Rate to 125Hz and occasionally have to hammer the button to get it to behave.

I'm looking out for a suitable mouse with laser or infrared buttons.
I'm tired of replacing mice due to button failure. Its not just the G502 with this problem!

Update: I got that Enhance GX-M1 from newegg. It's been exactly 2 mth. The wheel has already begin to make noise as I rotate it. And the highlight of text has also creates error by the mouse.

I just don't know what to do w/ these "brand names" mouse. Logitech said they give 3 yr. warranty, but they won't honor it. This brand Enhance gives 3 yr., also won't honor (they said I didn't buy it from an authorized dealer, so they update my warranty to be zero day left). I also use MadCatz before, it last just over 1 yr., they did honor their warranty and I got a brand new replacement

But who makes good mouse anymore? It's like everyone is making junk.

I bought a G502 Hero about 2 years ago before swearing off logitech. After about a year the mouse buttons were done. It really looks like logitech quality has gone down hill and their warranty/support has as well.

Maybe they aren't as good where you live, but I live in the USA and Logitech warranty/support has always been great. I go online/call support and they just send me a new mouse/keyboard without needing to pay anything or send anything back.

Maybe they aren't as good where you live, but I live in the USA and Logitech warranty/support has always been great. I go online/call support and they just send me a new mouse/keyboard without needing to pay anything or send anything back.
I live in the US.

this independent survey of over 1K+ people shows 70% of the survey people gives a bad review on logitech

to this date, after years of that G502 mouse fail, I never get any warranty replacement. logitech doesn't have the back bone to stand behind its warranty

https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/www.logitech.com

I'm not sure how reliable that site is. I just now tried searching about every major brand of PC part manufacture I could recall off the top of my head. (Razer, SteelSeries, Corsair, Asus, Lenovo, Gigabyte, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, EVGA) and nearly every single one has poor reviews (SteelSeries was the only one with barely average scores).

this independent survey of over 1K+ people shows 70% of the survey people gives a bad review on logitech

to this date, after years of that G502 mouse fail, I never get any warranty replacement. logitech doesn't have the back bone to stand behind its warranty

https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/www.logitech.com
People are much more likely to leave a review when something didn't go the way they want. They rarely leave a review for a good experience. Especially going to some third party website and not where you bought the product.

How did they not honor your warranty? Did you contact support and follow the process then they just said no?
For me they have been great. I follow the process which does not take long and they simply send me a new unit free of charge. They've done this for me with at least 5 products over the past 15 years or so.

People are much more likely to leave a review when something didn't go the way they want. They rarely leave a review for a good experience. Especially going to some third party website and not where you bought the product.

How did they not honor your warranty? Did you contact support and follow the process then they just said no?
For me they have been great. I follow the process which does not take long and they simply send me a new unit free of charge. They've done this for me with at least 5 products over the past 15 years or so.
they jerk me around. I report to them via email as they don't have a web page that allows me to enter a RMA form. So all I got is 2 logitech employee email me back and forth

most co. has a page for you to report a defective mouse of a online RMA form. When my G502 fail, there is no such thing.

I give them the information, and on the 2nd email, they ask me for the serial no., this is what happen when there is no online form to fill all the information they need. Very poor co. w/ no RMA web page interface.

they then ask me for the serial no., I email to them

and there is no reply after

so months later, I email them again, they then ask me for serial no., then the circle continues

they just jerk you around

recently I post on their facebook page.

some representative ask me for the above information and said they'll fix it. That was just before I bought that Enhance mouse from Accessory Power. To this date, noone ever get back to me. It's a sickening pathetic co., there are good reasons 70% of the people give them 1 star, bad review

I consider mice disposable devices. They usually last long enough before double-click syndrome (DCS) kicks in that it's not a big deal. But there's always an initial period of denial during which I attempt to attribute DCS to some obscure software bug, temperamental drivers, or even the weather. I guess it's difficult to accept that your mouse is on its way out. Wonder how common that is...

I can't believe this topic is still going.

I guess all mice succumb to this, but it really does feel like it's happening far more often lately. I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers want it that way so you keep buying more, otherwise they might have started making mice with socketed switches that are easy to replace or something, maybe even included some spares in the box, like a few rare keyboards do now.

Back