Opinions on Neopower 480 vs. TPII-550?

bassman

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been looking at PSUs for my new build and narrowed it down to the Neopower 480 and the TPII-550. Both have deals going right now, although the TPII would cost $20 more after rebate. I'm pretty sure either would work for the following setup:

AMD 64 3000+
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
1GB PC3200
BFG 7800GTX
80GB and 160GB WD SATA HDs
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
2 DVD-/+RW drives
1 DVD-ROM drive
2-3 case fans

The TPII gives me more headroom in watts (and runs a bit cooler from what I hear), but the Neopower is modular, which would make a huge difference for airflow in my case.

Does it come down to preference and price or am I missing another factor? Will the Neopower still work if I upgrade to 2 GTXs, an X2 CPU, and 2GB RAM in the future?? What do you guys think? I've been going back and forth on this for days now.

i think the tpII 550 went OOS? i can't find the deal anyway. i got another one last nite so i'm happy.

i don't think you can go wrong with either one really. i'm not a fan of modular but like you said its all preference. all i know is i'm extremely happy with my tpII's and their rock solid rails.

I think if you're planning to add another GTX in the future the TruePower II is your only option. My NeoPower runs incredibly hot and that's only powering a A64 3200+, X800XL, 2GB RAM, 300GB hard drive, 1 DVD RW, and an Audigy2. I don't think it could handle another video card reliably, especially 2 7800GTXs.

It's quite stable running the above... just gets very hot.

The TPII 550 shouldn't have a problem.

Yeah, the TPII-550 was out of stock at buy.com while the 10% coupon was still good, but it's still at newegg for $105 - $20 MIR. (Expires Aug 27)

sorry, i missed the part about another gtx. i would definitely pick the tpII 550 then. thats still a nice deal at the egg for that money.

My NeoPower also ran very hot. I just sold it today and put my SL400 back in, and even though it's older/lower power, it runs cooler and just fine will all you find in my sig.

Back