Opinions on multi-monitor gaming setups?

Killa|3yte

2[H]4U
Back in 2012, I upgraded my GPU and display to 670 SLI with a 27" 144Hz 1080p display with nVidia's 3D Vision 2 kit. I was also considering a multi-monitor setup and a single, high-res display.

I've been very happy with the setup, but have been getting the upgrade itch lately (I can't help it, I just miss working on my rig.) and wanted to revisit the idea of multi-monitor. I'm just having a hard time getting jazzed about it--

- 16:3 aspect ratio seems awkward. That's now how my eyes seem to work naturally. 3x monitors in portrait mode seems even more silly to me because then you get a nice aspect ratio, but the bezels seem like such an immersion killer in that configuration! For those of you with either of these setups, would you recommend them to another person? Sell me on it!

- I like gaming at high framerate with 120Hz+ refresh rates. Because of that, I think it's safe to say that 7680x1440 is out of the question. I guess I could get 2x 290X or 2x 780 Ti, but even those struggle with this res. 5760x1080 seems more doable, but again, is the extra peripheral vision even worth it?

Looking forward to hearing from those with experience with these setups!

You need 3x 16:10 monitors. It's easier on the eyes than you think with 3x 16:9, but still not ideal IMO.

Look into what games support it, what games can be easily modded, then make a list and decide for yourself.

wait for more 4k displays to come out and screw multi-monitor :D

I'm waiting for the Oculus Rift if anything ;)

I get the impression GPUs have no chance at effectively handling 4k res ATM :(

Edit: 4k = 8m pixels, 7680x1440 = 12m pixels to give you an idea.

Pretty sure the recent oculus was oled.

OP you are going to need 2x 290x for 5760x1080 anyways, if not more. Having three monitors is fantastic Ford multitasking but admittedly the messing around to get it to work sucks. I found myself using it less. I just have my 2560x1440 display now, with two monitors on the side. Eventually I will get back to Eyefinity but no real rush. In your case you can do it cheaper than me and might be worth it enough just for the multitasking.

I really suggest getting a proper triple monitor stand too. It saves so much space and looks better.

It's hard to take a guy seriously when his vocabulary is pretty much "yo yo yo, damn and foshizzle."

Point taken, I just thought his enthusiasm highlighted the differences between wearing an Oculus and staring at a regular monitor.

TN is a reasonable panel technology for an HMD. Pixel refresh is relatively fast and viewing angles are a non-concern. The current Oculus "Crystal Cove" prototype does indeed have an OLED display, though, and even Oculus believes that panel isn't good enough for the consumer version.

What does OLED have to do with TN, though? But what do I know, all kinds of experts around here lol

Just wait for Oculus Rift, man. I know I am.

OLED (organic light emittis diode) produces its image through an organic material placed between two electrodes. The amount of voltage and type of organic material determines the color and brightness. It consumes less power, has a higher refresh rate, and emits it's own light. This mean it's more efficient and can be thinner.

LCD (TN: twisted nematics) uses liquid crystals that twist and untwist depending on voltage. They are put between two polarized panels, and require a mirror and back lighting to display. So they are thicker and require more power.

So that's why the oculus is most likely going to have an OLED display: thinner, efficient, better refresh rate, easier to bend/curve if needed.

Last edited:
I love gaming in eyefinity. I use a Benq XL24020T 120Hz as the main middle monitor and 2 X Asus VG236H for the sides. With this setup games that don't work in eyefinity or games where I want the highest FPS I switch to only the 120Hz Benq.

I also have Benq XL24020T but I sometimes feel I need a better one. 240 Hz would be pretty amazing for Quake :) The game goes crazy after 900 FPS but we're waaaaaay below that.

OLED (organic light emittis diode) produces its image through an organic material placed between two electrodes. The amount of voltage and type of organic material determines the color and brightness. It consumes less power, has a higher refresh rate, and emits it's own light. This mean it's more efficient and can be thinner.

LCD (TN: twisted nematics) uses liquid crystals that twist and untwist depending on voltage. They are put between two polarized panels, and require a mirror and back lighting to display. So they are thicker and require more power.

So that's why the oculus is most likely going to have an OLED display: thinner, efficient, better refresh rate, easier to bend/curve if needed.

Ugh, my point was: this MrGuvernment guy pulled "TN" out of his ass.

I tried a triple monitor setup on my current PC (see sig.) It was 3x 1080p displays. You definitely need a top end video card for triple screen gaming. My 680 choked on Skyrim for example and was only able to maintain a steady 30-40fps on Ultra.

I ended up going back to one screen for two reasons: First, I didn't have the cash to upgrade to a 780 or an SLI which is necessary for good framerate. Second, it was really annoying getting some games to work properly with it. Simulation type games (like DCS, FSX, racing sims, etc) worked pretty much flawlessly, but other "mainstream" games, or console ports especially, were a huge PITA to make it work properly, so I just used the middle screen anyway for those games.

I say... if you have the extra cash, go for it. Just be prepared for some screwing around if you want every game in 3x format.

Of course that is just for gaming... there are obviously benefits in terms of working space too.

Thanks for your input.

I think I'm going to forego multi-monitor at the moment and see what kind of hardware comes out in the next 6 months. Seems like we're in a transitionary phase at the moment with Maxwell on the horizon as well as several new 4k displays coming out soon.

I did, however, order an oculus rift dev kit!

Back