Opinions on Lenovo workstations?

TopGun

Gawd
Hey guys,

I've got a quick question.
At our facility we have 4 systems for our lumber inventory software.
One is at each of our main production areas. When the system was
"installed" they used hand me down systems from our sales office which
are basically Walmart Compaq systems with XP media center.

The software its self is not demanding at all. I need to replace a failing system
and was looking at this:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Le...Hz-with-External-Optical-Box/2732756.aspx#URV

or the M92p

What's your guys' opinions on lenovo vs dell or hp.
Specs and warranties seem to be about the same between the 3 for the price
but I'm liking the Lenovo for it's Ultra small form factor.

Thanks in advance
-Justin

All three make ultra small form factors. It seems nowadays most people go with the same company because A) it's what they always use because of sales rep relationships or B) they use company Y because they hate company Z.

If you don't buy computers often, I'd say it's okay to just buy on price. Other then that going with one manufacturer will make support, asset tagging and image streamlining easier.

They're all made in the same factories in China and have pretty comparable hardware/build quality. What you're buying with Lenovo/Dell/HP is the support contract, which varies more than the hardware.

The Lenovo ThinkCentre M series are very good little units....I have fleets of them out there. Heavy duty, easy to work on with the flip up lid, fast, solid little units.

There is SOOOOOOOO much more to the story than "they're all made in China with the same built/quality" when comparing Dell to HP to Lenovo.

First...not ALL are made in the same place. Second...it's retarded to assume all models are equal. What models are we talking about? Which specific Dell, which specific HP, which specific Lenovo?

Because a Dell Dimension 1 year model is far different in quality (in a negative direction) than an Optiplex 790 or some Precision worsktation.
An HP Business Desktop DC series is far better than the crappy 1 year consumer grade Presarios they sell at Worse Buy
Similar with many of Lenovo's models...some I like (ThinkCentre M series)...some I dislike (like their 400 dollar Essentials series).

Business grade models tend to have much more standardized motherboard chipsets, and higher grade hard drives (3 year warranty hard drives..higher MTBF), beefier power supplies, etc. There is, without question, a big difference in hardware under the hood...compared to home grade 1 year models.

The Lenovo ThinkCentre M series are very good little units....I have fleets of them out there. Heavy duty, easy to work on with the flip up lid, fast, solid little units.

There is SOOOOOOOO much more to the story than "they're all made in China with the same built/quality" when comparing Dell to HP to Lenovo.

First...not ALL are made in the same place. Second...it's retarded to assume all models are equal. What models are we talking about? Which specific Dell, which specific HP, which specific Lenovo?

Because a Dell Dimension 1 year model is far different in quality (in a negative direction) than an Optiplex 790 or some Precision worsktation.
An HP Business Desktop DC series is far better than the crappy 1 year consumer grade Presarios they sell at Worse Buy
Similar with many of Lenovo's models...some I like (ThinkCentre M series)...some I dislike (like their 400 dollar Essentials series).

Business grade models tend to have much more standardized motherboard chipsets, and higher grade hard drives (3 year warranty hard drives..higher MTBF), beefier power supplies, etc. There is, without question, a big difference in hardware under the hood...compared to home grade 1 year models.

Obviously I'm talking about like models when it comes to where/how they are built. If you are cross-shopping a consumer model with a business model, then that is a whole other can of worms. They are ALL made in one of a handful of factories in China, with Foxconn being the primary company.

We have hundreds of Lenovo PC's. Just started rolling out the M92's. Great little machines. Lots of power in a small form factor. As it's a small form factor, things are limited: cooling (have lots of space around the PC for cooling), low profile add on cards, no upgradability for additional hardware (single HDD, optical drive). RAM is SO-DIMM's. Usually, that's not much of a problem (not a problem in our organization). Only issue we have is multiple monitors. We have VGA monitors (also Lenovo), and the M90 series has a single VGA and a DP. We use DP to VGA adapters for multiple monitors. May not be an issue for you, but that's very minor for us. Also, power adapter isn't standard. They use a power brick to keep the size small (but eliminates most power supply issues!).

Reliability has been excellent. We have a lot of M50 series out there, still (P4's) that are running great... Well, hardware wise. They do show their age. But, they still work.

Depending on your support contract, they are great to work with. If I have any problems (HDD's, etc.), I get a replacement a day later and mail my old part back. Very fast support calls, too. Hold time is zero.

We use IBM (Lenovo) at my company, the systems are solid, but the WAN connections at each location suck balls.

Our parent org uses Lenovo extensively and likes them a lot. We use Dell and like them a lot.

As far as consumer models, I've had good luck with Lenovo and Dell. I just bought 3 Lenovo IdeaCentre Q180 USFF machines for HTPC purposes. They're the size of external slim DVD drives, dead quiet and support VESA mounting. I also have Dells around that have been fine.

Back