Opinions on Antec P-150...

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
So in the never ending quest to build the best system i am looking over my newly competed rig for what is next, and where does any new rig start at? The case! I currently own the Antec P-180 and i LOVE it!!! Its great, but last two case's have been Antec, and they have great quality.

Anyways for those of you who have the P150 how do you like it? The front is aluminum right? I would like to do a mod to it like the guy that did the Star Wars mod, only i would like to do a "Star Trek" mod instead. I know i know, im a geek. I found some sweet decals on ebay and got some star trek fonts to take to a graphics shop. I want to paint the black parts like hte star wars case.

Anyways what do you guys think about the case? I dont want to one with the PSU because to many of them come DOA.

Im planning on putting in an SLI rig, with a Pentium -D and a couple of Raptors. This wont be for a while though, maybe next year, but i want to start my research.

Thanks!

2 Words:

Its Heavy.

The sound proofing is little more than a thin (i mean thin) foam (like 2mm),

Nice Solid case other than that i bluit my Ex's machine in one and its sweet as.

A rig with a Pentium D, Raptors, and SLI is going to put out a lot of heat. If you're getting the P150, you should also invest in a pair of 92mm fans for the front intake.

I also have a P150, check the Antec Gallery again, it's after the Star Wars one...

I really like it. It's clean looking, quiet, and it fits everything I need it to. But Bona is right, get the 90mm fans for the front, and a good fan speed controller.

The one really big plus with the case is that it's SILENT. I have 3 x 120mm fans (inc the PSU), and 2 x 90mm fans, plus the 7900 GTX, and I can barely be heard.

Also, the stock PSU is pretty good, but I'm going to be running SLI 7900's, so I needed just a bit more power.

Go for it. Great case.

Hey! I'm the Star Wars guy, that's my case in the Antec gallery. I also cut out the window in Volvo's case. Like it? Thank you for the mention btw. Ok, after having used many different cases, I think this is the best by far. I was all about having a door on a case, till this one. now I don't miss it at all. As for the PSU, I sold it, never used it. Hey, if you do that, the case is around $100cdn. I like the fact I can swing off the whole bezel and check out my fans. Remove the front fan grilles though. They are so restrictive I saw a 1C temp drop in my hdds. The rubber band hdd mounts are soooo good. Not a peep from my Raptor.
About the weight of the case, so what? You guys take your rigs to the kitchen with you for a snak? Lan-able? You know what I say about weight: If you have to use one hand for the case strap, wtf is the difference between 30lbs and 50lbs. If you can't lift 50lbs deadweight with one arm, you should be attending console lans, or stay at home.
Steel cases rule, period. the new cases like this one use a steel case, alum/plastic front, so it looks good too.

LanPirate1 said:
Hey! I'm the Star Wars guy, that's my case in the Antec gallery. I also cut out the window in Volvo's case. Like it? Thank you for the mention btw. Ok, after having used many different cases, I think this is the best by far. I was all about having a door on a case, till this one. now I don't miss it at all. As for the PSU, I sold it, never used it. Hey, if you do that, the case is around $100cdn. I like the fact I can swing off the whole bezel and check out my fans. Remove the front fan grilles though. They are so restrictive I saw a 1C temp drop in my hdds. The rubber band hdd mounts are soooo good. Not a peep from my Raptor.
About the weight of the case, so what? You guys take your rigs to the kitchen with you for a snak? Lan-able? You know what I say about weight: If you have to use one hand for the case strap, wtf is the difference between 30lbs and 50lbs. If you can't lift 50lbs deadweight with one arm, you should be attending console lans, or stay at home.
Steel cases rule, period. the new cases like this one use a steel case, alum/plastic front, so it looks good too.

haha i totally agree with you! I already own the P180 so i know what heavy is! lol if i wanted somthing that was light i would get a SFF PC. BTW your case is awsome!

Thanks for all the help, i think this case will be my next one!

My day 2 impressions of the P180: the case is utter garbage....I'm debating whether or not to take it back.

Blown 89 said:
My day 2 impressions of the P180: the case is utter garbage....I'm debating whether or not to take it back.

why do you say that?

i really like the 150.. and if i didn't already have the case i do, i'd probably get that one next. good choice!

The following are my P150 thoughts I've posted before. After a few months with this case now, I still love it. After many attempts with their customer service, Antec never did replace that faulty psu that came with it. As such, I will not buy another product from them in the future. Nor will I buy another case with an included psu.

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=991893&highlight=Antec+P150+impressions

I've been looking forward to getting a P150. I love the looks of it, and I'm disapointed there aren't more gorgeous white cases out there.

Only thing I'm not keen on is that I've heard a lot of the P150's come with DOA psu's, and also, I plan on cutting a large window into the side panel and that sound proofing worries me.

PM lanpirate for info on the cutting thing. He's done two of them so far.

Really like my P150. My last case was a coolermaster that was pretty loud with a bunch of 80mm fans. What I wanted with this build was something quiet. I'm not overclocking much anymore so I didn't need tons of airflow.

The looks of the case are different. Some don't like the white because of it's difference. I personally do like the color (or lack thereof). It's a solid case and I really like the drive suspension bands.

Do be aware that there have been problems with the 430W-HE PSU. I had a finiky one at first but it actually was a confluence of problems with connections and components. Once I figured that one out, it worked great.

I have a P150 with the bundled PSU and have had no problems with it. I fitted it with Akasa amber fans (1x120 + 2x92) and it's quiet enough. One of the optical drive covers was broken when I got it but some crazy glue did the job (just the plastic hinge on the tray cover).

This case IS heavy (heavier than my old Sonata) but is nice and solid. I am using the rubber string HDD mounts and they work well. The gloss white finish looks great with the aluminum front and blue LEDs.

Only problem I had with install was getting my X1800XT to fit as my crossfire mobo uses the lower PCI-Express slot as the master slot which means the X1800XT butts up against the hard drives.

Overall, this is a great case IMHO.

Blown 89 said:

Agreed! Had one for a month, could'nt get it the way I wanted it. Showed up at a lan with it for the wow factor. Had horrible problems with the door, you know what I mean. Antec did nothing for me, cept a feakin video of some guy performing hiku on it. Then I ripped it all apart, gutted it like a stuck pig, and boxed the parts in the garage. I later gave it to my bro. Hey, everybody buys a utter piece of crap once in their life, imo.

spotdog14 said:
why do you say that?
Apparently I posted that in the wrong thread. Oh well.
Here’s why I think it’s crap:

Cliff notes: Outside/frame build quality is crap. Engineering is crap. Inside build quality is very good but the awkwardness of the entire case makes you forget about quality and reminds you that the engineers must have been stoned out of their gourd when the designed it.

Plastic…..plastic everywhere there shouldn’t be plastic. The door hinge is plastic and flimsy and I don’t see it lasting long. The side panel tabs, plastic…the last place on a case you want to be plastic if you’re in and out of it frequently. That being said mine was broken upon opening the box.

The side panels: The material on one is bubbling off and the other is slightly warped and has a broken tab. A simple search on the internet will find thousands of people who have the same problems. While I’m on the subject of side panels who picked the finish? The finish marks if you simply look at it wrong. The case in the store looked like it had been through hell and back while every other case on the shelf retained its finish well.

Setup. Simply a nightmare. Nuff said.

The toolless DVD bays are garbage. I secured it to the drive and slid it in and while the front secures nicely the back is flopping all around. A case made for silence does no good if your DVD drive is rattling all around.

It’s heavy and BIG and for all that size it has less space than my cheap generic case which was much smaller. If you have more than a few ata hard drives in your case the cabling becomes a complete cluster fuck and there’s not really a good way around that. The lower chamber is a great idea but once you get your cabling and power cables for 4 drives there nowhere for the air to flow.

Speaking of the lower chamber the mounting location for the psu is simply retarded. Not only is it difficult as hell to get on but the thick 120mm fan is so close to the power supply that there cabling exiting the psu nearly hit the blades. If you have more one or two HD’s in the lower chamber those cables will hit the blades. There’s barely enough room for power cables and those are zip tied every 2 millimeters to keep them off the fan blades. Speaking of HD power cables…there isn’t a way to run the cables from the psu to the hd rack without running them into the upper compartment, across the bottom, and back down into the compartment. Sure I could take a Dremel to the case and create my own space in the fan mounting plate but I shouldn’t have to do that in a $120 case.

The HDD racks. Retarded. Pack a couple of hdds into the lower cage and the removable feature is worthless because you have to keep the cables taught to keep them off the fan blades which makes it impossible to remove the cage without first removing all of the power cables and ata cables. The top rack is retarded in its own right because the tool case is on the wrong side of the freaking rack. I want to access it with the door open. Instead I have to unplug all of the drives, pull the rack out, get what I want, put the rack back in, plug in all of the drives, then reroute my cables all over again.

I have more gripes but you get the hint.

Um, im looking for what people think about the P150, not the P180. I already own the P180 and i love it. I dont see any problems with it, i have to take the door off about every 3 months or so to fix the warp but thats about it. Inside of the 180 i love the PSU in bte bottom chamber it makes cooling my OC'ed CPU a lot easier.

But I already know about everyone complaining about hte 180, im interested in what people think about the 150.

spotdog14 said:
Um, im looking for what people think about the P150, not the P180.
Uh yeah....that's why I mentioned that I posted this in the wrong thread. Nobody's forcing you to read my posts.

spotdog14 said:
Um, im looking for what people think about the P150, not the P180

Perhaps you shouldn't have asked about the P180 then.

Anyways, if you're happy with the build quality of the P180, then you'll be astounded by the P150. Even still, Antec doesn't match the quality of Lian Li or even Cooler Master, imo.

oh for crying out loud, just go and get a P150 already...bite the bullet!!! You'll love it, trust Lanpirate and I, we know good cases...we build enough of them. I've probably built 20 computers in the past six months, and the P150 is what I bought myself. Believe me, if there was a different case that's just as good, I would have bought it. I didn't want the same thing as Lanpirate. But in the end, I'm EXTREMELY happy. Thanks Pirate!!!!

Back