Opinions on an APC Smart-UPS 1500VA UPS

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
We're getting rid of one of these at work and I have the opportunity to get it for free. I'm 95% sure it just needs a new battery. Just looking for some opinions on the UPS to see if it's worth it for pretty much the cost of a replacement battery. I would use it for backup power for my WHS 2011 server (listed in my signature) and maybe my TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Smart-UPS-1500VA-Battery-SMC1500/dp/B007ZT2KKM#

The Amazon rating is 4.5 stars, but figured I'd also post here hoping to get some [H] opinions. Thanks in advance.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Batteries aren't very expensive, $20/$30 each not sure if that take 2 or 4 but should be worth a gamble. Don't buy them from apc....

Sounds good. I'll let them know that I'm gonna take it home!!!

I will look at aftermarket batteries instead of getting them directly from APC. Any recommendations on decent brands / sellers, etc for aftermarket batteries like this??

I have had good luck with both American Battery Company and Chrome Battery brands available on amazon.

btw I would take it in a heartbeat as long as it powers up and the alarm goes off.
Which 99% of the time means it just needs new batteries.

I've had both APC and Cyberpower UPSes, and I've had issues with the APC units and certain power supplies. The APC units don't put out sine wave power, which causes problems for my Corsair HX series power supplies. Cyberpower is designed from the beginning to put out a sine wave power signature, which runs the Corsair HX power supplies just fine.

Chances are, you can get a Cyberpower unit of the same capacity for about the same as the replacement batteries for that APC. Those batteries are about $50 each from alternative vendors, and it takes two. I got my Cyperpower 1500VA for $99 at Microcenter.

Smart-ups are full sine wave.
Back-ups are stepped.

Cyberpower makes both sine wave and stepped units.

Back