Opinions needed 32bit or 64bit Vista

pcostanza

n00b
I tested Vista for MS and got Ultimate. They allowed me to download both 32 & 64 bit versions but of course, I can only use one.
I built a rig with XP Pro and plan to dual boot soon but am not convinced yet that 64bit is the way to go.
Opinions welcome.

You are the only one who will be ale to answer that question. Them amount of system memory you have makes up a big part of the decision. Also, you need to check driver availability for your hardware, and application compatibility for the programs you use. Once you complete those steps, you'll know which one to go with.

Opinions about what is needed, which number I like better?

djnes sums it up well, your question is very open-ended. You either need to decide for yourself, after establishing your needs or you need to provide us with more information to help you decide.

I run 4gb, so 64bit was a no brainer for me.
The only thing im having problems with is crappy nvidia drivers and Supreme Commander.

I'm using the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 with 2 gig of memory, 1-320GB SATA and 1-500GB SATA drive. The board is Vista ready but some of the drivers are still in beta.
Yes, I know the question is open ended and that's why I want opinions. Vista has been getting such a bad rap (I really can't disagree much either) but does have some advantages.

I've been using 64-Bit Vista for awhile, and I haven't had any issues with program compatibility.

It seems that people are getting poor performance out of Nvidia's current drivers, but that's on both the 32 and 64 bit versions. I'm sure they'll improve with time.

I'm not having problems with either of those in the 64 bit version.

nvidia:
try putting it in SLI mode. SLI mode with 4GB = brokens. uninstall/reinstall drivers everytime you try to SLI.

supcom:
no sound at all. known issue with vista 64 and sigmatel chipsets. no ETA on fix.
also crashes to desktop after 10-15 minutes. known issue with large memory on vista 64. You guessed it, no ETA on fix.

goddamn, is there a "do i get 32 or 64 bit vista????" thread every other day?

sheesh ppl..... at least do a forum search b4 making yet *another* thread about this, theres seriously like hundreds of these things....

I'm using the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 with 2 gig of memory, 1-320GB SATA and 1-500GB SATA drive. The board is Vista ready but some of the drivers are still in beta.
Yes, I know the question is open ended and that's why I want opinions. Vista has been getting such a bad rap (I really can't disagree much either) but does have some advantages.

If that's all the hardware requirements you have, I'd say go ahead and switch to 64 bit. If your computer are parts were made within the last two years, chances are drivers are preloaded on the Vista install or can be updated via the Windows Update Service. This doesn't mean optimized, but in due time they will be if they aren't already.

Back