Opinions...Moto X 2013 vs Moto G 2014?

cbf123

n00b
I'm looking for a replacement Android phone. I'm off contract, so I'm buying it outright.

I've basically narrowed my selection down to the two phones in the subject line. They're available for very close to the same price where I live. (Canada)

My wife and I share the phone. She's not a power user, and I work from home in front of a computer all day. A decent camera is a priority. I like the idea of the always-listening voice commands on the Moto X, but from what I understand the new Moto X does a better job in that area.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm looking for a replacement Android phone. I'm off contract, so I'm buying it outright.

I've basically narrowed my selection down to the two phones in the subject line. They're available for very close to the same price where I live. (Canada)

My wife and I share the phone. She's not a power user, and I work from home in front of a computer all day. A decent camera is a priority. I like the idea of the always-listening voice commands on the Moto X, but from what I understand the new Moto X does a better job in that area.

Anyone have any thoughts?
The feature you are referring to on the Moto X (2014) is called "Moto Voice". That feature on the Moto X (2013) was called "Touchless Control".

Regarding the "capability" to be "always listening and able to respond", the Moto X (2013) and (2014) are the same.
My Motox 2013 can hear and talk to me whether it is on my night stand several feet away, or even when in a pouch laying on the passenger seat while driving.

Having said that, see below......

During Motorola’s announcement of the new Moto X, they revealed that Touchless Control would be rebranded as Moto Voice and would receive a few new tricks as well. The biggest change is that the new MotoX will be able to have a custom launch phrase like “Hey phone!” or “Ok, Google” or whatever you want really. There’s also voice command support for YouTube, Facebook and WhatsApp. Here’s the full change-log:

• Customize your own launch phrase to make Moto Voice respond only to you
  • Voice command support for YouTube, Facebook and WhatsApp
  • Turn on Talk to Me and other Moto modes through voice commands
  • Support for Moto Hint and Moto 360
  • User experience improvements and bug fixes
- Android Authority

Last edited:
Do we know yet whether Lollipop on the Moto X 2013 will be able to use the low-power voice processor chip? The Nexus 6 reviews all talked about how much faster the integrated solution is than the two-stage process Motorola used originally.

Back