Opinion required to give up on Ryzen 3000/MSI X470 Gaming Pro

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay had a customer drop their new build into me yesterday.

Its a Ryzen 3000 series CPU with approved Corsair ram and a MSI X470 Gaming Pro MB. It has a Nvidia 2060 too.

It just keeps crashing and BSOD. Will crash/reboot during Windows installation/setup will crash once installed, will just not function in a stable fashion for more than 10 minutes.

I have tried -

Latest Beta BIOS (what a cop out MSI had to strip the BIOS back as the ROM isnt big enough)
1 Stick of RAM
Set RAM to 2133/XMP
Default BIOS/Tweaked BIOS
Different SSD
Swapped the 2060 for a older AMD 5770
Checked the cooling (AIO)

etc. etc.

No dice. Just keeps on crashing.

Thinking of advising he return the motherboard or maybe just return the 3000 and get a 2000 series and have some cash back.

Any other things to try? I always used to build AMD rigs back in the Athlon/Opteron/Phenom days but not built one for about 5 years. Seems things have gone a little astray.

Cheers.

When I built my X99 system the first MB I got wouldn't even boot, does that mean things have gone astray, or that I got a faulty MB?

whats the stop code?

also 2133 ram on X470?

is he trying to hinder performance as much as he can?

Nvidia is having a driver issue with Zen 3000 at the moment I think.

What is PSU? Tried another? Tried different ram? Updated bios/tried different revisions? Agesa revision? etc

600w Corsair PSU. Latest Beta BIOS from July.

No other ram to test with.

Anyway I have it stable. Basically had to underclock it and that kept it stable so I could install the latest AMD chipset drivers.

Put it down to 2GHz and that worked. Put the 2060 back in and the RAM back to 3200XMP. Stable.

Up to 2.5GHz - Stable.
Up to 3GHz - Stable.
Back to Auto default 3.6GHz. BSOD
Switched to 3.5GHz - Stable.

Idle temps are 38c (its 29c ambient in the room) and load temps are 60c after 20 mins of AIDA64

Maybe there is an issue with the boost or something. Next BIOS might fix it.

So it seems locking the CPU to a multiplier works fine. Set to Auto...nope. Probably a BIOS/Boost issue.

Last edited:
yeah tried digging through msi's forums and it's just endless threads of people complaining about the x370/470 bios.. mind you i'm not surprised since msi was pretty much on par with asrock when it came to their bios releases for those boards.

Yeah seems its a bit of a mess right now.

Had he come to me before hand I would have said wait another month. Had a customer ask me about a Ryzen build a few weeks ago and I advised they slap a 2600X in as I didn't want to risk the motherboard not accepting the CPU and having that whole "find an older chip" runaround.

As I haven't built many Ryzen builds I haven't got a stock of alternative chips and boards as yet to test/swap with.

I'm sure it will all settle down in a few weeks. Just a hassle though.

MSI are doing so well, the Beta Bios was released 1st July then the proper release on the 17th of July.

Unfortunately, when you unzip and compare the two they are the same 1st of July BIOS.

i think some of it's blown out for some of the "problems". the way zen 2 works is so different when it comes to past generations of cpu's especially when it comes to the boost fuctionality where the cpu acts more like a gpu and less like previous cpu's where those have a preset maximum where the cpu will always start at based on load and then a base clock as the bare minimum now it's "this is your theoretical maximum, and this is your base clock. what you get will be somewhere between these numbers". but when it comes to msi the biggest issue is them being cheap and using a 16mb bios chip when everyone else was/is using 32mb chips because of this exact reason that they would have to support 3 generations of cpu's. now they're having trouble fitting all the code required for ryzen 3k series and ryzen 2k series.

yeah i saw that in the thread i found as well, was going to suggest it then decided to keep scrolling and saw the other posts saying it was the same file.

Well I've got it stable (well 1000 times better than it was 12 hours ago). I'm letting him know the full story and he can make a decision what he wants to do. I did think before I looked up and found the 32MB BIOS issue that a lot of settings were missing.

"He chose...poorly!"

There is lots of talk about the 16MB vs 32MB bios, and especially MSI since they seem to have the most problems.

I noticed that most, if not all, of Gigabyte's X570 lineup still has 16MB bios chips. They don't seem to have any problems. How come it's just MSI who is having major problems?
I don't think it's really a bios chip problem, it's probably more like a lack of skill/expertise on MSI's side.

Well this was the first MSI board I've dealt with in many many years of PC building. Can't say I'd buy one.

Not certain if it applies to the Gaming Pro as well, but MSI need to get their act together with the BIOS for Ryzen5-3xxx.
I went from a 15 seconds boot (power button push to Windows 10 sign in screen)...on every BIOS since the original released one.
I had to go to 7B79vAA for Ryzen 5-3600X and that time is now 3:45 button push to Windows 10 login screen.
Push power button....cursor appears after 16 secs...at 28 secs initialization screen for add-in Marvell SATA controller card...at 1:08 ACHI notification....at 3:20 first BIOS screen....at 3:45 Windows 10 login screen.
That's not acceptable by any standard.
I've removed the SATA controller to see if that was causing the delay.
It was.

Last edited:
There is lots of talk about the 16MB vs 32MB bios, and especially MSI since they seem to have the most problems.

I noticed that most, if not all, of Gigabyte's X570 lineup still has 16MB bios chips. They don't seem to have any problems. How come it's just MSI who is having major problems?
I don't think it's really a bios chip problem, it's probably more like a lack of skill/expertise on MSI's side.

on x570 they get away with it because first gen ryzen is not supported on the chipset at all. but when it comes to x370/470 there's some people that might be upgrading from first gen to third gen.. well if you have a 16mb bios, update the bios with a first gen processor in, you have no clue if it flashed properly until you put the new chip in to test it. eventually x570 boards running 16mb chips will run into the same problem if for some reason there's the 1 or 2 people running zen+ chips on an x570 board and want to upgrade to zen2+/zen3/what ever they decide to call it which is why i think gigabyte put cpu-less bios flash support on all their x570 boards to make up for that shortcoming.

Back