Opinion on Rosewill

"What will you be powering exactly? Rosewill in general should be avoided."

Haha that was funny. At one point he wants to be helpful, but at the same time he recognises Rosewill as an UNGODLY ABOMINATION and is somewhat horrified. You sir are the man. :) That made my night.

I too used to think the Rosewill was a decent PSU (at least mine) but lately, if you read all those reviews, you'll see a lot of sudden failures.
Mine is the 600W modular and looks like the egg discontinued it (can't find old reviews/why??) but I just went to
www.deadeyedata.com and ordered at Silverstone STF60 to replace mine b4 something happens.
There are discounts for forum members at
www.johnnyguru.com on Silverstone at deadeye data and seem like good people to deal with.

Also do a search here for "Rosewill" and you may be surprised at what show up
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1127001

Those are both ATNG units. Not good units.

I've been playing with the RP500-2 which I miss-identified as Andyson in another thread. I'm very impressed by it, the ripple is nearly non-existent and the rails are just about the best I've seen in terms of stability of any PSU I've put on the tester. If they're not that great I'd like to see what is. ;)

FYI:

Rosewill is Newegg/ChiefValue's "house brand" and what they basically do is find the cheapest oem that will sell to them, rebadge them with the Rosewill moniker, and sell them on their online storefront. AVOID THESE PSUS AT ALL COST. Latest reports have most of the 400w - 600w Rosewills as ATNG rebadges and I personally wouldn't use one unless I had no other choice.

You can do better for the money. Remember that the wattage rating on a PSU doesn't mean everything, especially in this case.

FYI:

Rosewill is Newegg/ChiefValue's "house brand" and what they basically do is find the cheapest oem that will sell to them, rebadge them with the Rosewill moniker, and sell them on their online storefront. AVOID THESE PSUS AT ALL COST. Latest reports have most of the 400w - 600w Rosewills as ATNG rebadges and I personally wouldn't use one unless I had no other choice.

You can do better for the money. Remember that the wattage rating on a PSU doesn't mean everything, especially in this case.

Just so you know, I put 500W on the RP500-2 500W PSU, the 12V voltages did not drop..at all. Going from 97W to 500W with 360W on the 12V rails, the 5V dropped .04V and the 3.3V dropped .05V. The ripple at 500W was less than 30mV across the board. If that's the mark of a crappy PSU I'd like to see what a true quality unit is capable of.

I've been playing with the RP500-2 which I miss-identified as Andyson in another thread. I'm very impressed by it, the ripple is nearly non-existent and the rails are just about the best I've seen in terms of stability of any PSU I've put on the tester. If they're not that great I'd like to see what is. ;)

Enermax's do fabulously as well. Antec's TruePowers/SmartPowers do well as well. ;)

Yes but it's known that Antec's die due to the crappy fan speeds causing the caps to go pop. The RP500-2 doesn't have that problem...it does have a fan speed selector but it gets over-ridden as the temps rise.

Yes but it's known that Antec's die due to the crappy fan speeds causing the caps to go pop. The RP500-2 doesn't have that problem...it does have a fan speed selector but it gets over-ridden as the temps rise.

I wasn't pointing to a specific issue I was pointing out a general problem. Short term testing != longterm reliability as has become painfully obvious in those two well known examples.

I think that if I were able to do a thousand hours of testing to prove long term reliability that it'd be enough to break through the hundreds of thousands of hours of prejudice already in place. That said I'm through here.

I think that if I were able to do a thousand hours of testing to prove long term reliability that it'd be enough to break through the hundreds of thousands of hours of prejudice already in place. That said I'm through here.

Look you aren't being bagged on personally so I am not sure what the deal is. ATNG units have not been good for a lot of people for a long time so not recommending one that does ok on a test (which isn't published yet?) isn't the end of the world and is just being conservative....especially when there are other good units with a good history on the market. ATNG starts doing well for a prolonged period then they might start earning a favorable recommendation from more people.

Thanks for the replies. BTW, what does ATNG stand for?

As for what I want to power, I'm wanting to upgrade my ATI 9800pro to a X1950Pro AGP and I'm hearing the power requirements are harsh. I'm currently using a Antec TruePower 380watt PS that's served me well for 3+ years.

The rest of my system is:

Gigabyte 8KNXP rev. 2.0
P4 Northwood 3.2
1gb (2x512) Corsair TwinX XMS memory (2-3-3-6)
SATA Maxtor DiamondMax10 250GB HD
SATA Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB HD
Tyan Radeon 9800Pro 128mb (currently)
Samsung DVD-ROM and CDRW drives.
Zalman CNPS9700 LED cooler
2 Antec 120mm BB case fans.
Wireless keyboard/mouse (RX powered off USB)
Cordless Joystick (RX powered off USB)

Thanks for the replies. BTW, what does ATNG stand for?

As for what I want to power, I'm wanting to upgrade my ATI 9800pro to a X1950Pro AGP and I'm hearing the power requirements are harsh. I'm currently using a Antec TruePower 380watt PS that's served me well for 3+ years.

The rest of my system is:

Gigabyte 8KNXP rev. 2.0
P4 Northwood 3.2
1gb (2x512) Corsair TwinX XMS memory (2-3-3-6)
SATA Maxtor DiamondMax10 250GB HD
SATA Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB HD
Tyan Radeon 9800Pro 128mb (currently)
Samsung DVD-ROM and CDRW drives.
Zalman CNPS9700 LED cooler
2 Antec 120mm BB case fans.
Wireless keyboard/mouse (RX powered off USB)
Cordless Joystick (RX powered off USB)

Get a nice Enermax, Seasonic, Corsair, or the like.

Just so you know, I put 500W on the RP500-2 500W PSU, the 12V voltages did not drop..at all. Going from 97W to 500W with 360W on the 12V rails, the 5V dropped .04V and the 3.3V dropped .05V. The ripple at 500W was less than 30mV across the board. If that's the mark of a crappy PSU I'd like to see what a true quality unit is capable of.

I gotta agree with madmat here. I did a search through this forum for Rosewill threads and the vast majority of posts are people with no actual experience with Rosewill PSUs who are just jumping on the bandwagon bagging them. If you put this thing through a review like johnny would do with numbers as above, the price, the silence, nice cabling, etc. it would end up with a pretty good rating. And there is a distinct lack of evidence that a large number of these fail prematurely from this forum as well as Newegg reviews compared to many other "bad" units that have been criticized here.

If you actually look through the Newegg reviews for all the non-value series Rosewill PSU's rather than the 3 rants here, you'd notice that 6 out of the 8 models have 5 star ratings and the other two have 4 stars. This is not based on 5 reviewers over 2 months but cumulative over 300 reviews since early 2006. If you're comparing numbers, these match pretty closely or better than FSP or Sparkle and is much better than most brands Newegg offers.

They do not make their own PSU's but they apparently do a decent job rebadging others'. You could compare them to the rebadged CWT's with the frail Fuh caps that Antec uses in their Smartpower series versus Nuuo, Xclio, Hiper. The Snartpowers are crap as we all know from previous threads based on REAL forum member experiences versus speculation but the same problems are lacking for Nuuo, Xclio, and Hiper-made units.

The Stallion, Performance, and Turbo series all have 3 year warranties, near stellar reviews from ACTUAL users, and from Madmat's test actually perform well under stress. With a distinct lack of true evidence proving they have poor longterm reliability, I wouldn't have any problem recommending them for anyone looking for a ~$50 range PSU. No one's saying they're better than >$100 Seasonic or PCP&C units, but I'd like to see more facts than opinions here.

BTW, I've actually used at least 8 Rosewill PSU's that I can remember and probably a few that I don't recall. The only one that's blown in the past 2-3 years is a 350W Value series that was ~$20 and powering something it shoulda never touched. My main computers are powered by Tagan, Seasonic, and an X-finity; but plenty of friends and family members who were looking for a decent budget option have been running fine on Rosewills for me. I've just ordered one of their new 450W Stallion series PSU's that I was debating between that or a 350W FSP at the same price point -- the Stallion has a longer warranty and at least rated higher capacity so I gave it a try. Doubt I'll be disappointed.

I gotta agree with madmat here. I did a search through this forum for Rosewill threads and the vast majority of posts are people with no actual experience with Rosewill PSUs who are just jumping on the bandwagon bagging them. If you put this thing through a review like johnny would do with numbers as above, the price, the silence, nice cabling, etc. it would end up with a pretty good rating. And there is a distinct lack of evidence that a large number of these fail prematurely from this forum as well as Newegg reviews compared to many other "bad" units that have been criticized here.

Pretty much. Except it was Madmat that did the testing.
If you actually look through the Newegg reviews for all the non-value series Rosewill PSU's rather than the 3 rants here, you'd notice that 6 out of the 8 models have 5 star ratings and the other two have 4 stars. This is not based on 5 reviewers over 2 months but cumulative over 300 reviews since early 2006. If you're comparing numbers, these match pretty closely or better than FSP or Sparkle and is much better than most brands Newegg offers.

Take newegg reviews with a grain of salt. They fall under Three catagories:
1. I put this psu into my pc and it didn't explode. 5 stars!!
2. I put this psu into my pc, and it set fire to my cat. 0 stars.
3. I put this psu into my pc, and it was DOA. 0 stars.

That, and almost ALL users will not be putting a heavy load. Myself, my opteron 146 @ 3 ghz, a 7800gt, and 5 hard drives, never takes more than 200w from the mains. After efficiency losses, I'm drawing far less than that. Not too accurate.
They do not make their own PSU's but they apparently do a decent job rebadging others'. You could compare them to the rebadged CWT's with the frail Fuh caps that Antec uses in their Smartpower series versus Nuuo, Xclio, Hiper. The Snartpowers are crap as we all know from previous threads based on REAL forum member experiences versus speculation but the same problems are lacking for Nuuo, Xclio, and Hiper-made units.

True.
The Stallion, Performance, and Turbo series all have 3 year warranties, near stellar reviews from ACTUAL users, and from Madmat's test actually perform well under stress. With a distinct lack of true evidence proving they have poor longterm reliability, I wouldn't have any problem recommending them for anyone looking for a ~$50 range PSU. No one's saying they're better than >$100 Seasonic or PCP&C units, but I'd like to see more facts than opinions here.
True. Except the testing bit, same as what I said above

That, and almost ALL users will not be putting a heavy load. Myself, my opteron 146 @ 3 ghz, a 7800gt, and 5 hard drives, never takes more than 200w from the mains. After efficiency losses, I'm drawing far less than that. Not too accurate.

I agree. I work with stats quite a bit so have a pretty good grasp of what numbers and reviews usually indicate. The newegg reviews are far from the best case stats of what a PSU would do under high load for prolonged periods but they do indicate something substantial:

1. The vast majority of users running higher than average loads have had no problems with non-Value series Rosewill PSU's. Most people who order PSU's from Newegg to build comps aren't running budget office machines with onboard video, they're usually gamers. People don't buy mirrored, sleeved, PSU's full of lights for budget office machines :)

2. Most reviews are either a 5-star or 1-star but this applies to FSP as well which is what I chose to compare as FSP is known to be an excellent company. Given over 600 reviews combined from both companies spanning purchases made over a year ago, the fact that the "high-end" Rosewills had just as few 1-stars as FSP is significant. 600 is not a HUGE number but enough that if you wanted to calculate a P-value for random error, it's enough to show significance.

My two main systems (sig not updated) are similar to yours and neither of us would let a Rosewill touch our main comps :) If i HAD to get a PSU at the ~$50 shipped price point to power my main system, I would pick a 450W "high-end" Rosewill over a 350W FSP, but that's just my opinion. My spare comps and family comps which use a lot of my hand-me-down parts for light gaming have always done fine with the one exception when I purposely wanted to see how long a $20 PSU can push a $1k system (I know, not too smart). At least only the PSU died in that case.

The main point I wanted to make was that there is not enough evidence I've found on this forum or any other place to trash Rosewill as bad as they have been here. Most of the bashing has been by people with little or no experience with one of these units, and the people who actually own them for the most part love them.

Comments like these are completely unfounded:
Rosewill is Newegg/ChiefValue's "house brand" and what they basically do is find the cheapest oem that will sell to them, rebadge them with the Rosewill moniker, and sell them on their online storefront. AVOID THESE PSUS AT ALL COST.

The cheapest OEM's sell "580W" PSU's for $15. If you walk into Directron or any other large parts warehouse you'll find a box full of these ready to replace the burned out ones their customers are bringing back in. The RD, RT, RP Rosewills are $40-$80 and can actually produce the rated wattage as Madmat showed and have very solid quality construction and cabling (but most would never know that because they're "reviewing" products they've never even seen -- I have actually handled many of these and opened one.). The cheapest OEM's would blow up before even approaching the rated power draw. Rosewill (Newegg/Chiefvalue) are not run by stupid people. They don't find the cheapest oem that will sell to them -- they find the ones most appropriate for the price points of their products to be competitive. There is no other 500w PSU I know of that can actually handle the johnyguru torturing at rated power for $57 shipped or a 600W for $70 shipped (these are obviously not using the cheapest oem parts they can find).

There's a place for $15 trash, mid-grade decent quality products like the high-end Rosewills, and the stuff most of us actually use like Seasonic/Corsair and PCP&C. Rosewills perform exactly as they should for their price and intended use. I personally think their $20 PSU's use the $15 OEM trash parts with slightly better outside construction and cooling and same with their ~$50 stuff - as we have seen in other examples, it's possible to use crap F-caps and get a decent end-product. You're not going to turn it into a Seasonic by using a nice box and fan, but you'll get at least your money's worth.

BTW I don't work for Rosewill :)

Rosewill is a good PSU company. I have my trust in them.

LOL. Rosewill isn't even a PSU company, period. It's a sticker Newegg throws on overstock units.

Comments like these are completely unfounded:
Rosewill is Newegg/ChiefValue's "house brand" and what they basically do is find the cheapest oem that will sell to them, rebadge them with the Rosewill moniker, and sell them on their online storefront. AVOID THESE PSUS AT ALL COST.

There's nothing unfounded about that statement, it's unvarnished fact.

Now on occasion there will be a Rosewill labeled PSU that doesn't blow goats. However, when people come in here looking for recommendations, it is rather time consuming to go through the entire list of Rosewill products and tell them which ones won't explode when switched on. Therefore we are much more likely to point people toward brands we know and trust (Seasonic, Silverstone, FSP, etc)

Sometimes people will ask if a PSU will work for their purposes and it most likely will, but we know of a model that is superior and sells for nearly the same price, so we recommend that. Then someone comes in and starts flaming people for recommending something different when the person's original choice would have worked. These people are known as idiots. Just because something will work doesn't mean there aren't better options.

One more thing. Spectre, absolutely no disrespect intended, but if madmat is who I think he is, he knows his stuff when it comes to PSU's. I'm pretty sure he is one of the contributing reviewers on jonnyguru's site. If I am wrong feel free to correct me.

I think people put too much stock in what some 'experts' think about PSUs. It all comes down to common sense and adding up how much your power draw is going to be. If you're running power hungry components that cost a boatload of cash, then spend your money on something better to make sure you have the reliability you need. If you're running your average gamers computer with a single video card, maybe 2 hard drives and an optical card, and your cpu is relatively efficient (i.e. not a prescott, not having loads of voltage pumped through it for an overclock), then chances are a $60 rosewill psu or for that matter any other brand that is better than the throwaway crap they put in $30 cases will suit you just fine.

I've been using computers for going on 20 years, building my own and others for over half that time. In all that time, I've had exactly ONE psu die on me, ever. It was a Thermaltake truepower 480w. It lived through 4 different computers in various stages of overclocking, 4 different CPUs (from palomino to A64) with various outrageous power draws due to overclocking, several different video cards all overclocked, while running as many as 4 hds and 2 opticals at one time, while being put through experiments in cooling that resulted in condensation, long summers in a room with no air conditioning while powering all this crap and eventually retiring to a computer in a poorly ventilated closet sitting on the floor in a semi open case collecting dust -- and thats what finally killed it. The dust.

I've used many different types of power supplies, and most of them have been cheap. System instability has never been a major issue, and the few times where it was and had been traced back to the power supply, it was my own fault for drawing too many amps.

You can read this forum and take everyones word for it and think that only recommended power supplies are good. For the most part, people are right - better components make better power supplies, and if you're in the price range of a decent power supply, better to go with one that will stand up to a torture test than buy an untested or unknown brand.

However you can also take what a lot of people here say with a grain of salt when it comes to the lower priced brands. Most people, even 'enthusiasts', don't even come close to pushing the limits of a decent power supply. And by decent, I mean pretty much anything that doesn't come inside of a case costing less than $50. Unless you're running SLI, a massive raid setup, a dual core prescott with loads of voltage pumped through it and 8 fans to cool it, or some combination of the above, you can rest easy knowing that you're probably never going to draw more than the amount of power a good mATX power supply would give you. That means that you can buy a cheapo power supply and not burn your house down.

And if the power supply dies? Here's a novel idea. Return the fucking thing.

Priceless, and very true.

Several months ago I saw some generic brand power supply blow and take out a video card on a friend's machine. He had a gaming machine so I can imagine it cost him probably around $200 to replace his card for damage done by a sub-$50 power supply.
I think trusted brand power supplies mean more than just being able to power your hardware.

The main point I wanted to make was that there is not enough evidence I've found on this forum or any other place to trash Rosewill as bad as they have been here.
BTW I don't work for Rosewill :)

Sure there is. You can put a dress on a pig, but it's still a pig. A significant number are made by companies KNOWN to put out sub-par or even dangerous PSU's. Why explain which are good/not, when there are companies that make ~all~ good units?

And shens on not working for rosewill. You've bought what they wanted to: That a $15 psu with nice cabling is somehow ~good~

The RD, RT, RP Rosewills are $40-$80 and can actually produce the rated wattage as Madmat showed

Because wattage means... well... what now? Oh, right, just about nothing. Show me the variance on the rails, show me the amps, etc.

I think people put too much stock in what some 'experts' think about PSUs. It all comes down to common sense and adding up how much your power draw is going to be. If you're running power hungry components that cost a boatload of cash, then spend your money on something better to make sure you have the reliability you need. If you're running your average gamers computer with a single video card, maybe 2 hard drives and an optical card, and your cpu is relatively efficient (i.e. not a prescott, not having loads of voltage pumped through it for an overclock), then chances are a $60 rosewill psu or for that matter any other brand that is better than the throwaway crap they put in $30 cases will suit you just fine.

I've been using computers for going on 20 years, building my own and others for over half that time. In all that time, I've had exactly ONE psu die on me, ever. It was a Thermaltake truepower 480w. It lived through 4 different computers in various stages of overclocking, 4 different CPUs (from palomino to A64) with various outrageous power draws due to overclocking, several different video cards all overclocked, while running as many as 4 hds and 2 opticals at one time, while being put through experiments in cooling that resulted in condensation, long summers in a room with no air conditioning while powering all this crap and eventually retiring to a computer in a poorly ventilated closet sitting on the floor in a semi open case collecting dust -- and thats what finally killed it. The dust.

I've used many different types of power supplies, and most of them have been cheap. System instability has never been a major issue, and the few times where it was and had been traced back to the power supply, it was my own fault for drawing too many amps.

You can read this forum and take everyones word for it and think that only recommended power supplies are good. For the most part, people are right - better components make better power supplies, and if you're in the price range of a decent power supply, better to go with one that will stand up to a torture test than buy an untested or unknown brand.

However you can also take what a lot of people here say with a grain of salt when it comes to the lower priced brands. Most people, even 'enthusiasts', don't even come close to pushing the limits of a decent power supply. And by decent, I mean pretty much anything that doesn't come inside of a case costing less than $50. Unless you're running SLI, a massive raid setup, a dual core prescott with loads of voltage pumped through it and 8 fans to cool it, or some combination of the above, you can rest easy knowing that you're probably never going to draw more than the amount of power a good mATX power supply would give you. That means that you can buy a cheapo power supply and not burn your house down.

And if the power supply dies? Here's a novel idea. Return the fucking thing.

Kyle once came in here saying something like that.

His ultra blew out his mobo/cpu/video card a week later, IIRC.

Return the psu? Sure. But what do you do about the blown parts? You think that Rosewill or any of the other cheap people are going to help you?

G'luck with that. ;)

You pay insurance (and buy nice PSU's) for when things break: You rarely hear about a PCP&C taking out a whole system, and when it does, they replace the parts.

Because wattage means... well... what now? Oh, right, just about nothing. Show me the variance on the rails, show me the amps, etc.

Try reading the whole thread including the full review/torture test on jonnyguru's site and madmat's comments (he's the one who tested and reviewed it for jonny's site). Wattage listed on a box means nothing. Surviving over the full rated watts with almost zero fluctuation on the rails means something.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=48&page_num=2

The highest ripple was 30mV at OVER the rated 500W and the 12V rail varied by a whopping 0.02V going from combined 6a to 30a. Yeah this thing for a little over $50 sucks. There's plenty of PSU's with 1% voltage variance that can sustain over 500W on a torture test without a twitch.

Now on occasion there will be a Rosewill labeled PSU that doesn't blow goats

Do you even read threads before making comments with no actual experience? Does 300 reviews spanning over a year with an overall average of 5-stars on EVERY model except the RV (value) model equate to on occasion there will be one PSU that doesn't blow goats?

Try reading the whole thread including the full review/torture test on jonnyguru's site and madmat's comments (he's the one who tested and reviewed it for jonny's site). Wattage listed on a box means nothing. Surviving over the full rated watts with almost zero fluctuation on the rails means something.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=48&page_num=2

The highest ripple was 30mV and the largest rail variance was a whopping 0.16V on the 12V rail running OVER the rated 500W.

Granted, but that's ONE rosewill out of many. There may be a good model or two in the pile, but the majority of what Rosewill sells is whatever they can get cheap and relabel. It's a gamble, and I don't know about you, but I'd rather recommend a known PSU at the same price point that has a reliable company backing it. There are plenty of Fortron/Enermax/etc at the same price point that we know are ~all~ good, so why make a recommendation that comes with the caveat of "well, this one is good, but this one isn't, etc..."

Plus, we have ~no~ idea about their tech support and warranty. If it takes out 3 drives and your video card, PCP&C will pay up. Will rosewill?

Granted, but that's ONE rosewill out of many. There may be a good model or two in the pile, but the majority of what Rosewill sells is whatever they can get cheap and relabel. It's a gamble, and I don't know about you, but I'd rather recommend a known PSU at the same price point that has a reliable company backing it. There are plenty of Fortron/Enermax/etc at the same price point that we know are ~all~ good, so why make a recommendation that comes with the caveat of "well, this one is good, but this one isn't, etc..."

Plus, we have ~no~ idea about their tech support and warranty. If it takes out 3 drives and your video card, PCP&C will pay up. Will rosewill?

Again, if you would actually read the previous posts, I showed that EVERY MODEL of Rosewill except for the one Value model has good performance and reliability among 300 reviews spanning over a year. Six out of eight models got 5-stars and the other two got 4-stars. This is not ONE rosewill out of many.

You have absolutely no evidence that the majority of what Rosewill sells is whatever they can get cheap and relabel. You have probably never even seen a Rosewill PSU but are just spitting out speculations. People who have actually used a good number of them will educate you in the fact that each series is manufactured by a specific company chosen to match the desired quality and price point. As far as I know, every RP500-2, RT, etc. uses identical internal parts rather than a random company for each unit produced. Of course your opinion based on reading a few comments on a company mean more than that of others who have actually stress tested them, opened them up, and previously owned computer companies that used their products.

You keep mentioning all these FSP's and Enermax's that can sustain over 500W, give 0.02V variance on 12V going from 6a to 30m, have 3 year warranties for under $60. Why don't you provide a link.

True, but given the trend that rosewill is headed toward with ATNG, it seems like ATNG is really trying to improve. If they keep up, They'll be very impressive. Low price, excellent voltage regulation, low ripple..

Also true that at that pricerange there are other power supplies. Rosewill is a rebrander yes, and for the longest time I was in the same boat as you are; The rosewill hate bandwagon.

I'd give them another chance. Who knows, they might impress you more than you think.

LOL. Rosewill isn't even a PSU company, period. It's a sticker Newegg throws on overstock units.

Neither is Corsair. It's a rebadged Seasonic.

True, but given the trend that rosewill is headed toward with ATNG, it seems like ATNG is really trying to improve. If they keep up, They'll be very impressive. Low price, excellent voltage regulation, low ripple..

Also true that at that pricerange there are other power supplies. Rosewill is a rebrander yes, and for the longest time I was in the same boat as you are; The rosewill hate bandwagon.

I'd give them another chance. Who knows, they might impress you more than you think.

Thanks for showing that at least a few people here have some objectivity when provided actual evidence :)

No one's saying Rosewill is great or even good. The few people here who have actually used them are just stating that for $40-$60 which is the bracket I buy most of my 400-500W performance Rosewill models, they are sufficient to power a budget gaming system and by all means an office system. No one is going to plug a dual 8800GTS and quadcore into one of these, but that was never the discussion. If you compare these to FSP/Enermax in the same price range what you get is on average minus 100W rated (and probably observed power handling as $40 FSP's rated at 350W are not expected to handle 450W loads without a sweat) on the better brands, and about the same failure rate over a year's time. Some people would prefer a 350W FSP to a 450W Rosewill and I won't criticize those because I think about that everytime I buy a Rosewill. However for the MANY people who have decided a 450W Rosewill with tons of good reviews and a stresstest on jonny's site is a better choice than a 350W FSP, why criticize them with no real evidence?

Originally Posted by Rabid Badger View Post

Where do you people get this crap from? Rosewill is not a sticker slapped on overstock unit. The mid-grade units are apparently mostly ATNG rebadges that look and feel nothing like any other PSU. Every single unit within a series that I or anyone who has actually used them has seen is practically identical. They are consistently designed and manufactured to fit their intended specifications and price points exactly like Corsairs. The Corsairs just happen to be designed and manufactured at a much higher quality level and price point - they don't find overstocks and slap stickers on them.

If you cannot understand this simple concept and have never even seen a Rosewill, why keep spouting out wrong statements with no evidence?

Again, if you would actually read the previous posts, I showed that EVERY MODEL of Rosewill except for the one Value model has good performance and reliability among 300 reviews spanning over a year. Six out of eight models got 5-stars and the other two got 4-stars. This is not ONE rosewill out of many.

You have absolutely no evidence that the majority of what Rosewill sells is whatever they can get cheap and relabel. You have probably never even seen a Rosewill PSU but are just spitting out speculations. People who have actually used a good number of them will educate you in the fact that each series is manufactured by a specific company chosen to match the desired quality and price point. As far as I know, every RP500-2, RT, etc. uses identical internal parts rather than a random company for each unit produced. Of course your opinion based on reading a few comments on a company mean more than that of others who have actually stress tested them, opened them up, and previously owned computer companies that used their products.

You keep mentioning all these FSP's and Enermax's that can sustain over 500W, give 0.02V variance on 12V going from 6a to 30m, have 3 year warranties for under $60. Why don't you provide a link.
I saw one real review and then talk of Newegg reviews, which have a bout as much validity as my toe lint. Am I missing something?

edit: I used an allied piece of shit for years before I learned. I always wondered why I burned up CPU's, but I was quite happy with that one, and it got great reviews on Newegg too. then I learned. Newegg means ~nothing~ for reviews. If it turns on, boom, 5 stars. If not, 0 stars. I'm sure they'll turn on, RMA rates would be too high otherwise.

I DO own a computer company. The one I serviced I had to replace (dropped in a Seasonic instead), but that was very early on and that's why I don't use them anymore.

Sure, once they've been making good parts for a couple of years I'll give them another shot. Not till then. No reason to gamble.

Where do you people get this crap from? Rosewill is not a sticker slapped on overstock unit. The mid-grade units are apparently mostly ATNG rebadges that look and feel nothing like any other PSU. Every single unit within a series that I or anyone who has actually used them has seen is practically identical. They are consistently designed and manufactured to fit their intended specifications and price points exactly like Corsairs. The Corsairs just happen to be designed and manufactured at a much higher quality level and price point - they don't find overstocks and slap stickers on them.

If you cannot understand this simple concept and have never even seen a Rosewill, why keep spouting out wrong statements with no evidence?

THAT'S my point. Spend some money, get good parts for everything you use, and you won't have problems. Too many times issues are people cutting corners.

As for where we get this stuff: from experience, that's where. I don't know about you, but I've been in the industry too long to trust untried/new parts. ATNG historically makes shitty parts. Great, they're getting their act together, but they've got to PROVE that they're going to make consistantly good parts, before I (or most) will trust them.

You have ~one~ review for ~one~ part, not the entire lineup. Test the rest, then we'll talk

and you still ahven't replied to something:
we know NOTHING about Rosewill tech support and RMA / long term. Waht if it takes out your entire system? Will they replace it? Will they pay?

Back