Opinion on LGA775 heatsink mounting

Taiguy

n00b
OK. So I spent most of last night getting my new PC built and running. Here's the breakdown

CPU: Q6600
GPU: 8800GTS 640mb
RAM: 4gb DDR2-8500
CPU Heatsink: Scythe Infinity
MOBO: ASUS P5k Deluxe
CASE: Lian Li mid-tower
PSU: ABS 900w
And a variety of peripherals and drives

Getting everything to fit in the case was chore in itself considering how tight space was. My last pc being an AMD with socket 939, the heatsink and accompanying mounting bracket were solid and bolted straight through the motherboard. I like the way the 775 socket retains the cpu but absolutely hate how the heatsink mounts. Trying to get the 4 poles aligned correctly was a pain, and then pushing them down was even worse. The scythe infinity has aluminum fins sticking out over top of the pins so I ended up slicing my index finger a bunch. There was no consistent feedback as to whether or not the pins fell in place correctly either. One would audibly click and I'd feel it stick and then I would not be able to get the other corner in at all. Trying to take it off after that failed attempt was also not easy. Trying to turn the pins counterclockwise was almost impossible and I had to illicit the help of needle nose pliers. I finally got it on, ***I THINK*** It stays on and doesn't budge much but it doesn't instill any amount of confidence. I carefully monitored temps last night and it idled around 34C and moved up to 39C after a session of company of heroes. Did anyone else have a bad experience with the way the 775 mounts heatsinks or was it just me?

The LGA775 mounting system, especially on HSF's that use the Intel designed setup suck, in my opinion. I've finally gotten the knack of installing them but it's very annoying.

I think its a fine system, for the stock heatsink. Any aftermarket heatsink should seriously just consider a backplate and bolt-through. The pins just aren't safe anyways.

The mechanism is annoyingly hard to install. However, they are perfectly safe if mounted properly. I've moved my E6400 system around many times, and the Ninja.revB hasn't budged. It still idles in the low 30's and reaches mid 50's during load. Its been on car trips, upstairs, downstairs, etc... and it has never come undone.

Its easier to install the HSF outside of the case... which would help prevent sliced fingers. Also, there is a thermalright LGA775 bolt-thru kit that you could use with the Infinity, if you're interested.

According to Intel, the HSF is easy to install: http://youtube.com/watch?v=OFEOd7nQbuQ

I found the stock heatsink tons easier to install once figured out which way it goes, etc. then my xp-120 with adapter installed! I mean one has pins that pop into place and the other (mine) has the damn clips that you can barely reach and clip on properly! :p

I really like my IFX-14's mounting system. The mounting bracket over the cpu socket bolts onto the backplate, then the heatsink screws onto the mounting bracket. So once the backplate/bracket is in place the heatsink can be removed without taking the motherboard out.

I really like my IFX-14's mounting system. The mounting bracket over the cpu socket bolts onto the backplate, then the heatsink screws onto the mounting bracket. So once the backplate/bracket is in place the heatsink can be removed without taking the motherboard out.

I could get another CPU for the price of the IFX-14. :eek:

A really crappy CPU maybe. I paid $69 Cdn for mine. Just a few bucks more than an Ultra 120X, a negligible difference in the cost of a new rig.

A really crappy CPU maybe. I paid $69 Cdn for mine. Just a few bucks more than an Ultra 120X, a negligible difference in the cost of a new rig.

The 4200+ X2 is by no means crappy. Neither is the E2140.

My point is, $75 USD for a CPU HSF is not very cost effective. Its a luxury most can do without.

Not when he has a Quad Core.:D I personally will never use heatsink without the bolt through method ever again.

back in the day of my pentium d...

mine fell off.

haha, i could never get the hang of it, but the chip was fine.

My point is, $75 USD for a CPU HSF is not very cost effective. Its a luxury most can do without.

Not when he has a Quad Core.:D I personally will never use heatsink without the bolt through method ever again.

You only need an aftermarket cooler if your overclocking. Otherwise, spend $0 and use the stock one, and you'll be fine. I have 2 machines at work using the stock intel cooler, and they never overheat... especially when I'm running my simulations.

A Tuniq Tower will suffice, and its only $45. The extra $35 for the IFX-14, just to squeeze a few more mhz out of the setup (by keeping a few degrees cooler) is just not practical. Again, its a luxury that most can, and will, do without. How do I know this? because most of the quadcores being sold are in OEM systems, which don't have IFX-14's in them.

I agree, a bolt-through kit is best, especially when dealing with large HSF's. But for the stock cooler, it works just fine. Could it be improved? GREATLY!!!

LOL I spent nearly an hour trying to install my heat sink. I'm still paranoid it is going to pop off one day and screw me.

LOL I spent nearly an hour trying to install my heat sink. I'm still paranoid it is going to pop off one day and screw me.

Theres a Thermalright LGA775 Bolt Thru kit you could get, to give you some peace of mind.

$7 - Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit

My point is, $75 USD for a CPU HSF is not very cost effective.
Take a look at the Q6600s in the overclock database, then look up the price of a QX6850 that's 700mhz slower than my Q6600, then get back to me about cost effectiveness. Talking about aftermarket heatsinks being a luxury most will do without isn't very applicable on a forum like this. No one here gives a shit about what the mainstream oem buyers do.

Yea. I never use the OEM heatsink except AMD's Stock 4 piped Opteron with 80mm fan. That thing was fantastic for its size and ease to mount and un-mount.

You only need an aftermarket cooler if your overclocking. Otherwise, spend $0 and use the stock one, and you'll be fine. I have 2 machines at work using the stock intel cooler, and they never overheat... especially when I'm running my simulations.

A Tuniq Tower will suffice, and its only $45. The extra $35 for the IFX-14, just to squeeze a few more mhz out of the setup (by keeping a few degrees cooler) is just not practical. Again, its a luxury that most can, and will, do without. How do I know this? because most of the quadcores being sold are in OEM systems, which don't have IFX-14's in them.

I agree, a bolt-through kit is best, especially when dealing with large HSF's. But for the stock cooler, it works just fine. Could it be improved? GREATLY!!!

Stock cooler? Whats that? :)
I dont overclock a few of my comps(kids) and i wont use the stock. YUCK!

I like the bolt thru only.

Take a look at the Q6600s in the overclock database, then look up the price of a QX6850 that's 700mhz slower than my Q6600, then get back to me about cost effectiveness. Talking about aftermarket heatsinks being a luxury most will do without isn't very applicable on a forum like this. No one here gives a shit about what the mainstream oem buyers do.

ROFL... you TOTALLY missed my point. I'm not sayin all aftermarket heatsinks are luxuries most can do without. I singled out the most expensive one. A $45 Tuniq tower will still get you great OC's with a Q6600. You don't need a $75 IFX-14 to reach 3.6Ghz because a Tuniq will get the job done just fine, for a cheaper price. THAT is cost effectiveness. THAT is what cost effectiveness is about. If you want to spend $25 more to reach a few mhz higher while keeping it cooler, go ahead... its your money. I'm just letting others know they can spend their money more wisely.

Theres a Thermalright LGA775 Bolt Thru kit you could get, to give you some peace of mind.

$7 - Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit

does anyone know where i could get this in the UK everywhere seems to have it out of stock or listed as discontinued. - im currently using my own custom mechanism mdade of some screws bolts and washers but i cant get the pressure even and so temps arent so great.
would very much appreciate a link - thanks:)

Back