Opinion/critiques on new system...

4keatimj

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all.

I'm looking at getting a new PC, and I've got the parts sussed out. Here's what I can get:

AMD Athlon 64-bit 3000+
MSI T8MM-IL mobo
512MB DDR-400 RAM (VDATA)
Powercolor Radeon 9600XT 256MB video card
80gig Western Digital Hard drive w/ 8MB cache
LG CD-burner
Black Case w/ 350W PSU
Windows XP Home

All this comes to around $1000AUS (about 750$US). These are the best parts I can get right now at the best price. What do you guys think?

BTW I know the vid card isn't the best out there but it is the best I can get, I can get it now and it is the cheapest card (top of the line cards are very expensive and would be hard for me to get)

what case and power supply are you getting? i wouldn't skimp on either one. you'll end up regretting it. :D

While the 9600XT is a decent card, the 6600GT is pretty much twice its speed for only about 50 bucks more. I'm ordering one this week.

So if you have to, get the A64 2800+, or even an XP mobile chip to make sure you don't break your budget.

Its a Clipper Case, with a Codegen power supply. Its the power supply we use (where I work), they are very reliable. I've used them a fair bit, and they are stable on all the systems we build. Actually, looking at it, its a 400W PSU, so plenty of juice there. But yeah, they are very good. I

cool... well, if you're going to that from what's in your sig...you'll be in heaven. lol

256mb on a 9600XT won't make much of a difference, at this point. I would look at a different video card. If you're really strapped for cash, get a 9800pro, or if you can, get a 6600GT.

bobsaget said:
While the 9600XT is a decent card, the 6600GT is pretty much twice its speed for only about 50 bucks more. I'm ordering one this week.

So if you have to, get the A64 2800+, or even an XP mobile chip to make sure you don't break your budget.
Well while I can get the slower processor, I still wouldn't be able to afford the 6600, or even a 9800. The 6600 is about $300-$400 more expensive than the 9600XT I can get. Its pretty sad that those cards are so expensive. Don't get me wrong, I would love one, but they are a lot more expensive over here, which is pretty sad.

The one thing I didn't mention in my original post is what it will be used for. It will be a computer for university stuff, basically setting me up for a few years or more. If I want, and can afford it, I guess I can upgrade the vid card later. But for what it will be used for (internet, assignments and the odd bit of gaming) I'm guessing it will be a very good system. Do you agree?

BTW, I need some opinions on whether to get XP Home or Pro. I'm probably going Home because it is a lot cheaper, but if I go to Pro will it be worth it? I've been told that it won't be, but I want a second opinion. :p

and...
cool... well, if you're going to that from what's in your sig...you'll be in heaven. lol
hehe...yeah. I kinda have the need to upgrade, with that system slowly dying on me...

Well I got the system on Tuesday. Here's what I got...

AMD Athlon 64-bit 3000+
MSI T8MM-IL mobo
512MB DDR-400 RAM
Powercolor Radeon 9600XT 256MB video card
80gig Western Digital Hard drive w/ 8MB cache
LG Dual-Layer DVD Burner
Black Case w/ 400W PSU
Windows XP Home

I got a DVD burner, its a dual-layer burner so I (hopefully) won't have to upgrade in the future.

All I can say is its an awesome system. I updated all the drivers and I now get around 12,000 3D MArks (3DMArk 01). I've got NFS:Underground 2 and Halo and they both make great framerates in highresolutions with the quality settings cranked. We set a nice cooling system up, in the side of the case there is a vent with a pipe attached which the CPU fan uses to pull fresh air in, instead of using the warmer air inside the case - but we set it up so instead of a long pipe, we have a fan and a short pipe blowing air into the CPU fan - keeps the temps down heaps (42C idle, 49C under load). I might have to see if I can get some pics - its a pretty cool setup (no pun intended)

So there it is. lts a great setup, and I'm loving it (considering what I went up from, which is still in my sig at the moment, its a quantum leap!).

Back