opinion check : clueless newbie or scam?

Lukano

Limp Gawd
I posted a thread in FS/T today to see if anyone had a video card for sale that met my needs.

I also replied to a handful of threads with offers to sell, from the past few days.

Amongst various PM conversations I was hold, I got one from a guy named ' jthriller ';

jthriller Registered User
BFG 7900GT
I can ship you my 7900GT for $220 canadian. I also live in Canada so this should make the transaction smoother. The cards in perfect condition works perfect. LMK

I asked him some questions about where he lived, he revealed Manitoba. I'm right next door in Saskatchewan.

So I stated I wanted the card, asked for his paypal address as well as a link to some heat or ebay feedback as a reference.

He claims to have no ebay, heat, or any online feedback-reference. I go to send a quick test payment to the email address provided [email protected] and see that it's an Unverified Account.

On the other hand, he provided at my request, his full name, address and telephone number. A quick check with 411.ca reverse lookup, and I see that he lives in an area I know exists, and is full of very small towns and farming communities.

So based off of all of this, would you say this is a legitmate true first time buyer & member not quite sure how to proceed? Or instead someone trying to take my money and run.

ask if he can ship first, or do a pay half now, then other half after item is in your hands and works

oh yeah, give him a call! you do have his number

No doubt bro, give him a call. Try a couple different numbers if you can (home, work, etc.) BUT if it doesn't feel right to you in your gut.....:confused:....then walk away. I've had the same thing happen, but the other way around....had a buyer call me in the U.S. from Canada to get a warm and fuzzy before making a trade. It was cool with me. :)

Give him a call. Then work out something like pay half now and half when it gets there.

If he's close enough I'd just make arrangements to meet him in person, like halfway and do the deal that way.

madmat said:
If he's close enough I'd just make arrangements to meet him in person, like halfway and do the deal that way.

'Just next door' really means an 8-10 hour drive. I'd spend more than $220 I'm sure.

I am going to call him tomorrow, I just wanted to get a bit of feedback on other peoples feel for the matter first.

stay away from him
i was looking for a card at rfd.he pmed me about a 7800gt
i asked for some references etc.
i asked for some pix of the card,with his username @rfd on a piece of paper.he said he had no camera.
next he is selling the speakers in the link for $75
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320650
trade with great caution imo

Yeah, Lethal had just PM'd me asking for any info I had on the guy, and that he was suspected of PM scamming.

I have banned jthriller as a probable PM scammer and recommend that no one trade with him.

While the details I have received from several here are not exact, there are just way too many coincidences with other recent PM scammers as noted here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1056993

Trading with anyone who's brand new here and hasn't made a single post and does all their "business" via PM and claims to not even know what heat is, that's simply not wise.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don't get scammed.

That was probably that cputom guy again....

That same type of deal is how I got scammed. They gotta have high heat or ship first from now on for me to trade with them.

I just had killerbee247 PM me informing me that he was scammed by the same guy. He is in the process of contesting the charges with his credit card company and they had asked he provide them with any evidence he found of similar incidents.

So I sent him a copy of the same PM I sent Lethal.

I would post it here, if required or wanted. I don't want to wontonly go spreading someone's information (if it were to be erronous and he was innocent) all over the internet.

If someone in charge would like me to post this info, or thinks it would be helpful - I will.

i'm sure they would not advise you to post his info :) with the possibility that he is legit but from what i've been told, it doesn't look good.

that's the last time i get drunk and start buying things on the net. i'll still give him the benefit of a doubt and wait til mon...tues for a response but i'm not getting my hopes up.

i do appreciate the help of lukano and the admins here. i will most definitely keep this confidential but if there's anything i can do to help others that got scammed, don't hesitate to contact me by pm. i'll keep ya posted.

i've also got my cousin who works for a certain police department ask his 'computer co-workers' to help out. they're already looking into it.

No, posting personal information is not allowed here.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of hearing people scream "troll, TROLL, TROLL!" over a $10 deal gone awry when they didn't even follow the guidelines set out for safe trading practices.

Do you honestly think the police/FBI are going to put investigation of more serious crimes (like rape, murder, assualt, robbery) on the back burner to come to your aid and spend their time prosecuting someone over a bad forum trade for $10? I sure hope not. :rolleyes:

He told me he lived is NY. He sold me Haupaugee TV tuner. He said it would ship Friday. I am assuming now it won't... I paid via Paypal. Any advice on how to recover my money?

He told me he is from Matlock, MB R0C (believe that it is California) and wanted to sell me something for $150. This guy is scamming everyone.

Somebody burn this fucker...

Thanks!

I have filed a claim with Paypal and will with my credit card this afternoon. Luckily the card I used is very flexiable about these sort of charges. Hopefully I should have mine taken care of by this afternoon...

$75 showed up in my Paypal about 10 minutes ago...I was suprised to see that Paypal put money back in my account so easily. Thanks for everyones help!

Chad

Back