Operation "Get a Westinghouse 37" W3 in Canada"

ttse

n00b
Hi,

I've decided for the past week that I will be getting this LCD but as hard as I try, I can't seem to find a place that sells in/to Canada. Does anyone have any leads/info?

I know that Crutchfield Canada had some units about a month ago but they apparently don't sell it anymore.
Best Buy Canada doesn't have the W3...and Best Buy USA doesn't ship to Canada.

It seems LCDTVS.com used to ship to Canada but not anymore...
It seems eTronics (another site whose name has been tossed around in the Operation W3 to Canada discussions) has been very unsatisfactory lately and I'm not even sure if they ship to Canada

Found one ebay listing that says they ship worldwide but calculating the costs leaves me staring at a smidge over $2K for the screen.

I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to get this screen in Canada - let's put our heads together and merge all info/discussion on W3 in Canada into this thread!

Tommmmmmmmmmmmy

$1199 USD is a bit too much, but it looks like there aren't any good deals for this monitor anymore. JR.com was selling it for $899 a while back and they also ship to Canada. I should have grabbed it when I had a chance :(

From what I've heard, Westinghouse LVM-37W3 is being discontinued so good luck getting one in Canada. If you like risking your money by buying it online and getting it ship from a far away places, good luck. Only idiots would risk buying it on Ebay. With this kind of LCD, you would want a good warranty coverage.

There should be better models/price drop on these LCD coming out so best thing is to wait and see.

From what I've heard, Westinghouse LVM-37W3 is being discontinued so good luck getting one in Canada. If you like risking your money by buying it online and getting it ship from a far away places, good luck. Only idiots would risk buying it on Ebay. With this kind of LCD, you would want a good warranty coverage.

There should be better models/price drop on these LCD coming out so best thing is to wait and see.

It is not being discontinued. Take a look at the CES Westinghouse press release... they aren't touching it. The 37" 1080p will stay the same while the larger screens get newer versions.

I was tired of waiting for it to drop again (and it won't until after the superbowl at least) so I just ordered it @ $1199.

It is not being discontinued. Take a look at the CES Westinghouse press release... they aren't touching it. The 37" 1080p will stay the same while the larger screens get newer versions.

I was tired of waiting for it to drop again (and it won't until after the superbowl at least) so I just ordered it @ $1199.

Like what I've said, good luck finding one in CANADA.

Some good discussion here - a few places I haven't looked at were mentioned - it's too bad shipping costs would be crazy.

$1199 US would be the most I'd consider paying for this screen...$899 US? I would have jumped on that if I knew about it...same with the few units @ Crutchfield Canada...if only I knew.

So, quoting ASIA911, "Like what I've said, good luck finding one in CANADA." lets explore the possibility of not getting it in Canada.

Anyone have any information or recommendations on places near the Canada-US border that has the W3's?

Tommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

I am also looking for the LVM-37w3 in Canada. I haven't had much luck as for yet. If anyone has any ideas post them here.

I e-mailed Crutchfield Canada and they said that it was discontinued and that they won't be getting any more in.

Kevin

crutchfield must just not want to sell the 37" anymore because bestbuy said it was discontinued over 8 months ago and its still out for sale and more are being shipped right from westinghouse, stores all over are still getting new shipments and the other day i read that westinghouse plans on not changing the 37" for awhile and is leaving it as is... So hell if i know Lol.

Its on sale at best buy this week for 1199.00 , hope that helps

No, it is not on sale at Best Buy. Currently Best Buy is trying to sell the W1, not the W3. Imagine that Best Buy selling outdated stuff almost a year later.

Could we get a group of Canadian buyers together for the W3 and go down to Detroit or another border city and pick them up, If we order 10 I'm pretty sure we could negotiate a pretty steep discount.

I'm not certain what customs would have to say, but I think any sales tax we pay in the states can be refunded, warranty may be an issue though.

LOL...that is so wacky that it might just work.

We could rent a truck between 10 ppl and have a W3 Roadtrip! I bet that would still be cheaper than the crazy shipping costs that are quoted by online sites (who later tell you they can't even ship it if you pay).

Warranty does worry me though...

I wonder if anyone lives close to a border B&M or equivalent and wants to become a hero...:-p

...and about that 1199 deal on the W1...every time I see BB Canada with a sale on that model, I keep thinking..."That means they are finally clearing the inventory for W3s!"...of course BB Canada has never replied to my inquiries...neither has Westinghouse.

I'm sure a lot of you read the announcement back in June(?) 06 that Westinghouses were coming to BB Canada, they said first models will be blah blah, W1, blah blah...and then the next shipment was supposed to include the W3...I wonder what happened...so annoying!

Tommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

A company in the States LCDTVs.com indicates on their website that they ship to Canada. They are currently selling the W3 for $1199.00 and have a free shipping promotion this week. I emailed their sales dept and asked them to verify that they will ship to Canada for free. I will post the response when I get it.

Failing this option, If you guys want me to, I can contact Westinghouse directly and see if I can special order W3's to Toronto for a group buy. Ideally this would go through one of their channel partners as a passthrough sale. and also limit the markup on theunits.

Off the top of your head how many people do you think want one of these units?

Actually, the free shipping promotion has been up on their site for ages it seems. If you look at the details, it says it doesn't apply to international orders (i.e. Canada).

Also, I emailed them in the past and they told me they won't ship that size to Canada...they'll probably say the same to you...if they ever reply :-p

I would guess that at least 5 ppl (from previous posts) are interested with the actual number probably much higher (I've seen a number of ppl posting on Red Flag Deals asking about this screen, etc.)...some friends of mine have expressed interest before in the past as well, they just couldn't buy it so they gave up for the time being...if there is a way to get a shipment to T.O. I'm sure any reasonable number of units would be sold fairly quickly...even without advertising. (Forum members would be on it in no time...)

Tommmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

www.jr.com will ship units to Canada. The sales rep told me the following:

LVM-37W3 Base price for unit is $1099.00 US + 99 Shipping For UPS ground
+ UPS will broker and apply gst & pst and $65.00 random duty charges

They are in stock and delivery is roughly 4-5 days.

They will discount for a large order of 10+ units problem is...One address, one payment.

A. Who will collect the money and pay them...?
B. Who wants 10 of these shipped to their house...?

*scratches head*

I am also awaiting a response from Crutchfield Canada in regards to a special order...I need numbers to negotiate with though...

Hmm - something else to inquire about since we don't want to have to be sending these units around for firmware updates, but is JR getting the W3's with the fix for the ps3 issue? We should inquire about that as it'll be an even bigger hassle for any canadian units to be fixed.

This sounds good...come on all you Canadian W3 seekers! Please reply if you are interested in Toronto pickup for a W3...

Getting a location to ship and the collection of money could be tricky. I suppose we could all place our orders on JR with a special "toronto pickup discount" code and then they can take care of the money collection and lump it into one shipping order on their side. I wonder if they will be okay with that?

Then all that's left is the shipping location...we'll need somewhere that will verify identities before handing units out...and this place needs to be trustworthy...I wonder if the post office has such services? Then we'd all go to the same post office and show our proof of purchase or what not...? Possible? Hmmm...

Tommmmmmmmmmmmy

The Crutchfield Buyers believe it is discontinued, but I politely informed them that they are confusing manufacturing terminology. Westinghouse is currently not in production of the w3 units, that does not mean discontinued...it means that sufficient supply in in the distribution channel for the forseeable future I.E. This quarter.

Crutchfield agreed it is possible so they are contacting Westinghouse directly to confirm and will call me back again this afternoon. We have spoken 3 times so far, they are pretty good at listening and returning calls at least.

Now I just have to finish "training" them. They can sit up and listen, but getting them to fetch is taking a little more work.

If I can secure product do you think the forum moderators would let us put up a sticky for a group buy for a week or so? It may take people some time to pull the finds together, failing this I am going to order from Buffalo and pick it up myself, methinks.

Buying from Crutchfield Canada would probably be the best scenario at this point.

Next best would be a discounted group buy from JR.

Buffalo pickup would be a bit troublesome...but I think I'd be up for it...

I've had my W3 funds saved for a while already...I'm ready to go! :-p

Any other Canadians who are interested should post replies so we can give these companies some idea of numbers that might help motivate them to move on this.

Thanks for getting the ball moving again irridion! Let's hope we bask in some 1080p goodness sometime in the near future...

p.s. Does anyone know if all new units shipping have the ps3 hdcp handshaking fix?

Tommmmmmmmmmmmy

Buying from Crutchfield Canada would probably be the best scenario at this point.

I don't know if this is true, but if Westinghouse has any real presence in Canada these days, they may refuse warranties on a unit purchased outside of Canada. They will only honour warranties for a Canadian-distributor/retailer-purchased unit (i.e not gray market). Many other electronics companies have done this in the past for things like TVs, so that may entice you to buy domestically even if it means a slightly higher price (vs paying for transborder service if a problem arises). Westinghouse can tell you their policy on this.

No, it is not on sale at Best Buy. Currently Best Buy is trying to sell the W1, not the W3. Imagine that Best Buy selling outdated stuff almost a year later.

sorry to drag off topic, but i just gotta add this:

BFG 6800 Ultra !ON SALE! $599 - Future Shop.
:rolleyes:

Maybe we Canadians need to stop this abuse and open our own components shop, we can do it like Costco and charge a membership fee, then we can cycle through one awesome component every 2 weeks. How about....

Week 1 Westinghouse LVM-37W3 $999 shipped hahaha (I''m losing it)

sorry to drag off topic, but i just gotta add this:

BFG 6800 Ultra !ON SALE! $599 - Future Shop.
:rolleyes:

I think they know alot of dumb consumers out there so my guess is that they jack up the price because some people might think it's the 8800. But alot of buyers who shopped at Bestbuy or Futureshop are just lazy and hardly do any research.

I would not buy videocard from them but when it come to LCD monitors, they are the best place to buy because of their warranty/return policies.

So back to the actual topic of this thread...:-p

Canadians interested in getting some units into Ontario should post here.

Keep us posted on your communications with Westinghouse/JR, Irridion - much appreciated!

Anyone want to comment on feasibility of them all being shipped to one post office for pickup?

Tommmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

Anyone want to comment on feasibility of them all being shipped to one post office for pickup?

I've never heard of the post office offering such a service. I don't think they'd want to without getting into charging for warehousing and storage time.

I think your only option is to get one person to offer his place as the delivery point and manage the distribution from there. That's what's happened with every group purchase I've followed via internet forums.

The name of your operation is too long. Consider changing it to something with three words or less.

Here is my email exchange with them:

1) Is there a shipping cost? The online checkout didn't seem to add one so I assume shipping is free? Shipping is free
2) Does the item ship to my door (and does it ship at an arranged time?) Yes, we ship by Purolator/UPS
3) How long would I have to wait for this item to arrive? Expected time of arrival 12 business days
4) Do I have the option of picking up this monitor myself from your Mississauga location? NO! we do not have pickup facilities
5) Would you be interested in a "group buy" of this item? If 5-10 units are ordered to your Mississauga location for pickup, would you consider a discount for the group buy? When you are ready to buy 10 call me 1-877-238-8037

Regards

Brian

1click2computers.com

Comparing this with JR's (1099 US price + 99 shipping + 62 misc. fees) * 1.18 approx. exchange rate gives us: 1486 pre-group-discount CDN before taxes...

1click2 lists it at 1573 pre-group-discount CDN before taxes...

About $1700-1800 CDN after taxes at these prices...

Hey irridion, you have any updates? I'm going to ask 1click2 about how the warranties work with them...

Tommmmmmmmmmmy

Brian at 1click2 had this to say about warranties/policies:

1click2computers sells the products strictly under the respective manufacturers' terms & conditions (which include warranties & return policies).

...this basically tells us that we send any problems to Westinghouse in the U.S.

This would be the same if purchased from JR.

Hey irridion, did Crutchfield Canada get back to you on the talks with Westinghouse?...if they get it back then we'll have a Canadian location to drop off the screen should issues arise.

..And what happened to all those Canadians interested in getting the W3?....

Tommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

No news as of late this afternoon.......sigh, anyone going for the Dell 30' for $1199 today?

Personally, the 27" Dell is more appealing to me. I want the inputs and 1080p or near 1080p rez. The huge res on the 30" and lack of inputs doesn't fit with what I want. $1199 is a great price but doesn't change the fact that I'm not looking for it's features.

I'm so tempted to just bite the bullet and get one from JR...it'll be, when all taxes, shipping, etc. have been applied...about $1650 Cdn....which if you reverse the taxes...about $1450 cdn before taxes...the 27" Dell is still 1399ish before taxes...so W3 still makes sense!

Tommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

This is their response to my inquiry as to whether they will sell this LCD again...I guess it doesn't actually tell us anything new but I must say that they do a good job of responding to emails:

I've notified our merchandising department of your request. However, I can't guarantee what will become of the request as there are a lot of behind the scenes factors that influence their willingness and ability to purchase certain products.

If you have a US shipping address of a friend we can ship to, we do have a number of these units available on our US website in outlet status. The Crutchfield Outlet Store is the place to find great deals on some of our most popular items. When a customer returns an item, we carefully test and inspect it, making sure it works perfectly and is free from significant cosmetic blemishes. We then repack it in the original box with all the included manuals and accessories, and offer it in our Outlet at a reduced price.

If interested in such an item and you have a US address for shipment, please let us know.

My Brother lives in New York, which is where one of the E/retailers is (JB.com I think) If Crutchfield Canada will honour the warranty and service the unit we can use my brothers address as the bill to address and our/my address could be the ship to address.

I go to UofT so I can probably just get them all shipped to my residence which coincidentally has a loading dock, yay!

Opportunity knocking LOUDLY
I jumped on the Thursday Dell 3007WFP for $1199 without realizing that it is useless for what I need, it has ONE measly DVI-D input, thats it! I have called Dell to put my order on hold. If someone wants to take over my order I can let you do that. I am NOT SELLING this item, just letting you get the deal that wont work for me.

American Opportunity knocks softly
If you are in the states you can come here to Toronto and if you bring me (and maybe one for Tommmmmmmy) a Nice Westy W3 with full revisions and firmware updates I can let the order go through and trade you. I think you would pay something like $1000.00 US$ and you get any Canadian taxes refunded. (what they do with you at the border is anyone's guess)

Now the 2707WFP is awesome as it has every connection I could ever hope to need (at least for the next 3 months...sigh) and 27" is plenty big enough for me from 3 feet away. ;) So if you have one of those just laying about collecting dust.........

Back