Operation Can Give Patients ‘HD’ Vision?

HardOCP News

[H] News
An operation that can give you HD vision? I’ll have to see that to believe it…well, not ‘see’ it to believe it…whatever, you know what I mean.

The technique gives patients vision so sharp that it is even better than 20/20 - the best an adult can usually hope for. Bobby Qureshi, the first ophthalmic surgeon in the UK to use the lens, described it as "a hugely significant development".

Does that mean I wont have to buy a flat panel TV or get the HD tier of channels to get the benefits of HDTV?

If so, sign me up. :p

Time to be Captain Obvious and blatantly state that no one, not even Steve, wishes to see this with their own 'functional but imperfect' eyes.

I am a bit worry about material fatigue with the artificial lens(es), but then again, our own eyes are prone to that as well...

As expensive as it no doubt is, I'd try it.

Hmm, also it seems we're all the more closer to having HUDs in real life. :p

it will be really scool when they can do that with contacts. sign me up for that!!!

If the lens is UV reactive, what would happen if you stared at a black light for too long?

If the lens is UV reactive, what would happen if you stared at a black light for too long?

The lens can be adjusted several times over a period of days until patients have perfect vision.

A final blast of light then permanently fixes the lenses' shape.

Doesnt look like an issue

I'm getting tired of all this crap that has HD tacked onto it. There is no thing as HD vision. And some people already have better thatn 20/20 vision thus the article is wrong about that being the best. 20/20 is "normal" that is all. Somebody decided what a normal person should be able to read / see 20 feet away. so if you have 20/20 vision that means that at 20 feet something looks like it does to a "normal' person at 20 feet. So your vision is fine. Some people might see better than that. One of my old neighbors had a niece with 17/20 vision. So at 20 feet things were as clear to her as they would be to a "normal" person at 17 feet. By this article's definition she has HD vision.

All they have done is made a new way to correct your eyes other than using lasers.

Time to be Captain Obvious and blatantly state that no one, not even Steve, wishes to see this with their own 'functional but imperfect' eyes.

I am a bit worry about material fatigue with the artificial lens(es), but then again, our own eyes are prone to that as well...

It is not said outright in the article but I suspect this is just a variation of standard rigid lens they use for cataracts "treatment" except that they can adjust it after the surgery to accomplish much better results.

You end up with monovision which means you are not capable of changing lens shape and have infinite focus. Kinds like cheap instant cameras. That's why they mention "bifocal or varifocal" in the article.

Great, now I'm thinking of Ghost in the Shell flicks.

Will this make me to heavy to swim? Eventually? Cause you can't just stop with one enhancement.

As someone who has had terrible vision my entire life and have not been terribly keen on the idea of lasik given how it works, This interests me. Though it does sound more drastic, in reality lens replacement is a far more proven surgical procedure and far safer in the long run. I hope this pans out as implied and becomes reasonably affordable.

This doesn't serve the same purpose as PRK or LASIK. It's for people whose lenses are failing due to material fatigue (as mentioned earlier) and cataracts.

That said, I'm happy with my current Vision XP. I'm not interested in Vision HD yet. Maybe when Vision 4HD comes along.

I love the little naming gimmicks various industries keep coming up with that get applied to everything. First it was X, XP this that. Now it's HD...What will be next? Allow me to submit..."Supergood" (said in the voice of the Laotian country club guy from King of the Hill).

I can see it now...Windows 8 Supergood.

I love the little naming gimmicks various industries keep coming up with that get applied to everything. First it was X, XP this that. Now it's HD...What will be next? Allow me to submit..."Supergood" (said in the voice of the Laotian country club guy from King of the Hill).

No no, it's going to be "double plus good"

This doesn't serve the same purpose as PRK or LASIK. It's for people whose lenses are failing due to material fatigue (as mentioned earlier) and cataracts.

That said, I'm happy with my current Vision XP. I'm not interested in Vision HD yet. Maybe when Vision 4HD comes along.

Actually if you go to the actual website for the hospital performing this, you will find it is for all types of vision correction.

Where was this 20 years ago when the USAF said my eyes sucked too much for the fun jobs?

Hey guys, I had what thought was a hot girl friend, then I got this operation and I had to dump her...

Where was this 20 years ago when the USAF said my eyes sucked too much for the fun jobs?

I am barely young enough to join. In August I got PRK surgery done, and now I see 20/20 with each eye separate, and I can squeak out most of the 20/15 line using both eyes at the same time. Before the operation neither eye could read the "big E." I was extremely near sighted, but with barely any hint of astigmatism I was lucky enough that the surgery could work. That it did work still strikes me as a miracle. If my eyes hold I might even be a candidate for flight training when the year is up. (They make you wait a year after surgery before you can fly.)

This is another type of operation that can help some people see better. I think any advancements in improving people's vision are worth it. I'm excited to see what this develops into.

hopefully this has better long-term vision improvement effects than lasic, if it did and becomes available in th U.S. I would be all over it

I'm getting tired of all this crap that has HD tacked onto it. There is no thing as HD vision. And some people already have better thatn 20/20 vision thus the article is wrong about that being the best. 20/20 is "normal" that is all. Somebody decided what a normal person should be able to read / see 20 feet away. so if you have 20/20 vision that means that at 20 feet something looks like it does to a "normal' person at 20 feet. So your vision is fine. Some people might see better than that. One of my old neighbors had a niece with 17/20 vision. So at 20 feet things were as clear to her as they would be to a "normal" person at 17 feet. By this article's definition she has HD vision.

All they have done is made a new way to correct your eyes other than using lasers.

You've got it backwards there. The vision acuity measurement is the other way around. It's measured as "Nominal / Actual"

What she has is probably 20/17, as she can see at 17 feet what most people should see at 20.

Anything better than 20/20 is just "better than average/normal." I get my checkups done to include visual exams relating to head/neurological issues I have to keep an eye on for for progression of symptoms... 20/10 in my left, 20/12 in my right. Considering my mum is nearsighted and my father is farsighted, I got lucky. Either way, I could have had really fucked vision.

You're right about the 20/20 thing, when I had LASIK last year the surgeon explained what the numbers mean and told me that while they aim for that as a minimum in corrective surgery, most people achieve 20/16 or 20/12 (or at least 20/12 is the smallest they bother to check to), and that even with contact lenses or glasses (with an up to date prescription) 20/16 is considered 'normal'

Ignoring the 'HD' marketing crap, this does sound quite exciting though. Current treatments generally only adjust the focus provided by the cornea (although they can compensate for defects in the eye at the same time, improving night vision) but I was warned at the time that it wouldn't change the fact I'd need reading glasses once i hit my late 40's and the lenses started to stiffen up, because everyone gets it.

At the time I was told that my existing short-sight (20/200) would cancel it out a bit and delay the long-sight, but I figured it was better to have 15-20 years of freedom from glasses & contacts, and perhaps someone would come up with a cure for it before then anyway.

Perhaps this is it, fingers crossed.

You've got it backwards there. The vision acuity measurement is the other way around. It's measured as "Nominal / Actual"

What she has is probably 20/17, as she can see at 17 feet what most people should see at 20.

Anything better than 20/20 is just "better than average/normal." I get my checkups done to include visual exams relating to head/neurological issues I have to keep an eye on for for progression of symptoms... 20/10 in my left, 20/12 in my right. Considering my mum is nearsighted and my father is farsighted, I got lucky. Either way, I could have had really fucked vision.

No, you've got it wrong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_acuity

20/17 means *BETTER* vision than 20/20. It's measured in Actual / Average. So 20/17 means that person can see at 20 feet what most see in 17 feet.

So if you really are 20/10, congrats - you have vision that is roughly two times better than average.

More importantly, people need to realize that these guys often overpromise and underdeliver.

Talked to countless people that weren't completely satisfied with their laser eye corrective surgery, and I imagine this likely will be the same with some getting mediocre or poor results still having issues being able to focus on things both near and far (fixed lenses can't address that).

HD would imply higher resolution plus a wider field of view. That means retinal and optic nerve replacement, modifications to the skull to allow for a larger eye and wider visual range, plus rewiring the entire visual cortex to compensate for the increased neural traffic. Or they could wave a magic wand and turn you into an eagle. That's about the only way you'd get HD vision as compared to "normal" vision for a human. :D

This is just a new kind of artificial lens used for cataract replacement. Existing IOL's are flexible and do allow for changes in focus. This just allows the doctors to fine tune the lens after the implant procedure for even better clarity. The existing lenses are good and quite reliable, but this really is a positive development. :)

The USAF performed PRK on me 2 years ago.... I have 20/14 Vision. Since when is this sort of thing new?

last time I went to an eye doctor I was rocking with 20/10, I could read everything on the chart from 5 feet behind the normal standing spot.

I'll get contacts the minuet they can put stuff like thermal imaging or HUD info into them.

last time I went to an eye doctor I was rocking with 20/10, I could read everything on the chart from 5 feet behind the normal standing spot.

I remember those days... usually after I hit my head on something [h]ard.

HD would imply higher resolution plus a wider field of view. That means retinal and optic nerve replacement, modifications to the skull to allow for a larger eye and wider visual range, plus rewiring the entire visual cortex to compensate for the increased neural traffic. Or they could wave a magic wand and turn you into an eagle. That's about the only way you'd get HD vision as compared to "normal" vision for a human. :D

This is just a new kind of artificial lens used for cataract replacement. Existing IOL's are flexible and do allow for changes in focus. This just allows the doctors to fine tune the lens after the implant procedure for even better clarity. The existing lenses are good and quite reliable, but this really is a positive development. :)

beat me to the punch (along with everyone else on the over-/mis-use of 'HD'). We should all be very happy that our visual systems can even detect stimuli narrower than the width of a single photoreceptor; that said, we've only got high acuity vision in an extremely small portion of our retinas...

Good news! The bad news is, the NHS waiting period for this operation is 83.7 years.

def⋅i⋅ni⋅tion
–noun
Optics. sharpness of the image formed by an optical system.

Technically, being that the eye is an optical system, seeing more clearly, which can be said to be seeing things more sharply, would be higher definition.

I see where your coming from though, but I think its mostly used because people can relate to the word, and quickly understand what is implied in the use of it.

not really new news. the last pair of glasses I got gave me 20/15 vision because of a brand new machine they were using (forget what its called)

Such an operation may be dangerous or ill-advised for people prone to anxiety or nerve issues. That much more information going into the old brain could cause issue.

Sounds like having Ultra Violet lights shined into your eyes will cause a major headache.
Heck I get a headache if I look at my computer screen too long with my glasses on... There's not way to those off :p

I had Lasik done last year with the result of 20/15 vision in both eyes and 20/10 combined, before the lasik I was at 20/600 combined with bad astigmatism, basically blind without my glasses. I have suffered no visual aberrations such as the halo's some have talked of but that is why I went to MannEye in Houston who is one of the best in the world and is the guy who most sports/nasa/usaf people go to.

I'd get these, but unfortunantly they are protected by the DCMA so you can't DVR with them. :(

Back