Operating system suggestions

Hi all,

So I have an old touchscreen laptop (4 years old) which I'm replacing. I'd like to give it to my brother as a media player etc, however, he has disabilities and struggles with technology.

My intention was to put Easy Peasy Linux on it (I used it once years ago) but it seems to have been discontinued :(. Can anyone please suggest a similar OS that would be good for YouTube and movie file playing with simple interface.

thanks in advance.

If you want something really simple you can install Ubuntu Mate and Kodi or some of these:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/awesome-linux-media-center-distros-htpc/

1607344416459.png

1607344430870.png

My HTPC (yes, I still run one) runs Ubuntu MATE with the latest version of Kodi, works a treat and didn't cost me a cent.

I'd recommend taking a look at Elementary OS. It's a linux distro based on Ubuntu that has an interface that is very similar to Mac OS. I know it supports touchscreens, but how well implemented that support is I can't comment on as I don't personally have any machines with a touchscreen.

The fast, open, and privacy-respecting replacement for Windows and macOS ⋅ elementary OS

Another option might be to put Neverware's Cloudready on it. It's free for personal use, and is an open source version of ChromeOS that you can install on any 64-bit PC. I've personally installed this for a few people over the years, and they've been happy with it. It's super easy to use, runs well on just about anything because it's lightweight, and does what most people need a computer to do these days.

Neverware

Back