Operating system not found

aye29

Weaksauce
I've been getting this error a lot lately on my tablet PC. Specifically it says this:

PXE-E61:Media test failure,check cable.
PXE-M0F:Exiting Intel PXE ROM
~something about booting from LAN~

Operating System not found.

Restarting sometimes fixes the problem but it been getting worse.

The boot order in BIOS is CD-Drive, HDD, Floppy, LAN.

I've tried disabling the LAN boot device but now it just says:

"Operating System Not Found"

I'm thinking it may be a hard drive issue since sometimes, the hard drive is listed in the first screen in BIOS and sometimes nothing is listed as though no hard drive was installed. I've ran the Windows Vista memory test application and no errors were found so I don't think its a memory issue. The errors occur regardless of whether Vista or XP Table it installed. Should I look at getting a new hard drive?

If the harddrive doesn't show in the BIOS then it's not gonna boot...

If it doesn't show in the BIOS chances are it's starting to fail. and you should look into getting a new one and cloning that drive right away..

Well sometime it doesn't show up in BIOS but other times it come back after I turn the power off and on again. Either way it sounds like my drive is dying and I should get a new one.

aye29 said:
Well sometime it doesn't show up in BIOS but other times it come back after I turn the power off and on again. Either way it sounds like my drive is dying and I should get a new one.
even though sometimes it shows in the bios and sometimes doesnt, what he's saying is, it will never boot during those times it doesnt appear in the bios. if all connections are secure, i'd replace that drive soon.

I understand that if it does not show up in BIOS, it wont boot. What I am not sure about it whether this problem is an issue with the hard drive or another component. I don't want to spend the money on another hard drive if the problem is not hard drive related.

The only way to find out is to "weed" out the issue. Try another cable, try another PSU and try another HDD if possible.

Back