Opera Showcases "Future Of The Web" With Neon, A New Concept Browser

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Opera has just launched a new, experimental browser to show the world how it thinks we should be surfing the web in the future. “Neon” will not be replacing the regular Opera browser and is merely a way for the company to showcase its more radical ideas, some of which may be adopted in their main app.

The Opera Neon browser start page displays browser tabs as little circular icons that can be dragged around and reordered. The left sidebar includes a video player, download manager, and image gallery, while a new visual sidebar on the right hosts other active pages that can be pulled into the middle. The Neon browser can automatically manage tabs so that the most frequently used tabs will float to the top on their own volition, while those used less frequently will sink to the bottom.

Opera Browser is owned by a Chinese consortium of companies including a Chinese internet security firm. Nothing against the Chinese, but this feels as unsafe as using a Russian browser signed off by Vladimir Putin. I know that Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc have security issues. But to start off using software owned by a Chinese internet security firm just sounds like a "WTF are you doing moment."

Wow, it's like they went all PlaySkool or something and dumbed it down to the extremes, practically what you'd find as a browser on one of these or something:

VTech_Tablet_Line_Provides_Super_Safe_Child_Frie.jpg

No thanks, I've got Firefox Portable customized out the ying-yang these days, took a long time to get it pretty much absolutely perfect for me and my particular browsing habits and there's just nothing out there that's going to ever compare in practically every respect, especially not what Opera just probably wasted a half million <whatever the currency is where they're located> in R&D for that "thing" they call a simple browser. :D

Also: where are the ads in the demo browser in operation? :p

I've been using a relatively new browser https://brave.com/ and have been happy with it so far. It works great on my iPhone and PC. I uninstalled Opera when it was sold to the Chinese. At at least want them to work for my data instead of giving it freely.

Brave was founded by the guy that helped found Mozilla (Brendan Eich), became the CEO and got booted from the job - ok, technically he quit on his own but was pushed out in reality by a rather silly misunderstanding of his position on things but that's another thread all by itself. I personally had hoped that some if not a lot of what Firefox offers would translate over to Brave but so far almost nothing has. I still keep up with Brave's development since the very first publicly available build and I have the latest one currently in a folder someplace (I do almost everything in a portable sense) and it's fast and quick but it's just lacking so much by comparison to Firefox (at least for me) and it'll never catch up.

I do realize that most people just want a browser that works, doesn't have many problems, and offers some customization along the way (not nearly what Firefox can still be built into) so Brave and this new Neon thing from Opera could fill a gap I suppose, just not for me.

Opera Browser is owned by a Chinese consortium of companies including a Chinese internet security firm. Nothing against the Chinese, but this feels as unsafe as using a Russian browser signed off by Vladimir Putin. I know that Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc have security issues. But to start off using software owned by a Chinese internet security firm just sounds like a "WTF are you doing moment."
56901911.jpg

On a side note I've been using Vivaldi quite a bit lately....

This doesn't look liek something I'd want nor can I imagine what any computer aficionado would either.

It seems like lately it's becoming more common for websites to only work properly with one particular flavor of browser. This only looks like it will continue the trend.

I can't get MS to fix Edge so it works with my Laptop keyboard. Its a business Lenovo Thinkpad of all things. Ah that could be it, its a Chinese owned company. Maybe if I turn on the keylogger so MS can make sure I stay out of trouble or any of the other spyware in win 10 to protect me from myself, the keyboard might work.;)

It seems like lately it's becoming more common for websites to only work properly with one particular flavor of browser. This only looks like it will continue the trend.
I use "Default User Agent" addon in firefox to take care of that. Update the latest xml file to show the latest browsers. You can spoof sites into seeing you as running a Desktop OS or any of the Mobile OS's. I especially like that I can use an older Browser version, when addons aren't supported with updated browsers.

My onse faborite web brouser is now Chinese owned... I'll keep the old bersions thancks bery mutch.

My onse faborite web brouser is now Chinese owned... I'll keep the old bersions thancks bery mutch.

allot of the devs that worked on opera presto left and started their own thing... that's what Vivaldi is. it's actually pretty decent. but only thing is, is it's like opera use to be, works great until you hit a website that just won't work or doesn't load properly. then you gotta use your backup browser.

I'm almost afraid to say it here but ever since opera changed to a chrome clone I've been using maxthon. you don't have to use the sign in/cloud feature. and it has a few features that are pretty sweet, namely resource sniffer and switch browser core. it works 99.99% of the time, and usually if it won't work with maxthon it just doesn't work! and it's ui is pretty damn customizable to boot.

allot of the devs that worked on opera presto left and started their own thing... that's what Vivaldi is. it's actually pretty decent. but only thing is, is it's like opera use to be, works great until you hit a website that just won't work or doesn't load properly. then you gotta use your backup browser.

I'm almost afraid to say it here but ever since opera changed to a chrome clone I've been using maxthon. you don't have to use the sign in/cloud feature. and it has a few features that are pretty sweet, namely resource sniffer and switch browser core. it works 99.99% of the time, and usually if it won't work with maxthon it just doesn't work! and it's ui is pretty damn customizable to boot.

I was a big fan of Maxthon years ago and then went to Chromium, before them, I used Opera. Opera had a lot of great features I've not heard at the time, such as built in speed dial, the collapsing side bar for bookmarks and download status, tabs that can be configured to the bottom of the browser, mouse gestures, a lot! Was my favorite browser and was so fast. I'll give Vivaldi a shot since it's by the previous developers, thanks for the info :)

Edit: Wow, this Vivaldi is not bad, it's like the Opera of before. I can even arrange my tabs to the bottom and works great on Linux Lite. Liking it so far, thanks d3athf1sh :D

Last edited:
yup chinese owned not installing

they can buy our debt but i won't give them my data

I was a big fan of Maxthon years ago and then went to Chromium, before them, I used Opera. Opera had a lot of great features I've not heard at the time, such as built in speed dial, the collapsing side bar for bookmarks and download status, tabs that can be configured to the bottom of the browser, mouse gestures, a lot! Was my favorite browser and was so fast. I'll give Vivaldi a shot since it's by the previous developers, thanks for the info :)

Edit: Wow, this Vivaldi is not bad, it's like the Opera of before. I can even arrange my tabs to the bottom and works great on Linux Lite. Liking it so far, thanks d3athf1sh :D

no problem!

I've used Opera for the better part of 10-15 years. Despite Chinese investment, everything still seems to work just fine as any Chromium browser. I used to like it more before they switched rendering engines.

Vivaldi is fine for another Chrome clone except without the one big feature that every browser in the world has, bookmark sync.

heh wow did not realize Opera got sold off to a Chinese company, when did this happen? I haven't used them since they became a Chrome clone though anyway!

I hate that idea of JS desktop. Eventually most computers are going to be just terminals. It's happening.

So, what you're saying is that only US/EU companies are allowed to spy on you? This is dumb, man, Really fucking dumb.

I hate that idea of JS desktop. Eventually most computers are going to be just terminals. It's happening.

So, what you're saying is that only US/EU companies are allowed to spy on you? This is dumb, man, Really fucking dumb.

I stand a chance at suing or revealing an USA / EU based company to the world as corrupt. Who in the heck am I going to sue in China? Who do you contact with a grievance? Am I going to risk my life showing up there to sue their government?

Yeah, I liked Opera in the good old days, but I dropped them when they were bought. Vivaldi is a solid alternative.

I stand a chance at suing or revealing an USA / EU based company to the world as corrupt. Who in the heck am I going to sue in China? Who do you contact with a grievance? Am I going to risk my life showing up there to sue their government?

What chance? Google entire business is based on stealing personal data. No one can touch them. Same with MS with their borderline illegal practices. You can't to shit to them.

What chance? Google entire business is based on stealing personal data. No one can touch them. Same with MS with their borderline illegal practices. You can't to shit to them.

Yes you can if you care enough to do something about it.
There is a such a thing as court here. Will you win? Can't predict that. I do know that I have the right to sue a company based here or the EU. Our citizens gave those companies the opportunity to collect data by not contacting their elected government official and making a complaint. It was our choice and we sided with the data collection by not sending the right officials to Washington, D.C.

Again how do you go about shaming a corporation in China? Send a story to the government run newspaper? The government sponsored TV news? Show up at the military show and stand in front of a tank?

It's not even the same thing in the realm of having rights.

Yes you can if you care enough to do something about it.
There is a such a thing as court here. Will you win? Can't predict that. I do know that I have the right to sue a company based here or the EU. Our citizens gave those companies the opportunity to collect data by not contacting their elected government official and making a complaint. It was our choice and we sided with the data collection by not sending the right officials to Washington, D.C.

Again how do you go about shaming a corporation in China? Send a story to the government run newspaper? The government sponsored TV news? Show up at the military show and stand in front of a tank?

It's not even the same thing in the realm of having rights.

But why would you need to shame a corporation in China? Your business with them is where you live, not where they're based. Chinese companies have to respect the local law as any other company.

But why would you need to shame a corporation in China? Your business with them is where you live, not where they're based. Chinese companies have to respect the local law as any other company.

When did they start doing that? Last I checked they hacked more gamer's accounts, email addresses, government secrets, etc than the Russians ever dreamed of doing. Shoot they hacked the Blizzard servers and stole my account for WoW. I hadn't paid for a WoW subscription in over a year. Didn't stop them from selling my legendary items and making my character into a mule. I even had one of the Blizzard authentication key chains on my account! Blizzard accused me until they noticed that NOBODY had been paying for my game time and it was playing everyday.

Yes, the Chinese are our friends. Kumbaya!

When did they start doing that? Last I checked they hacked more gamer's accounts, email addresses, government secrets, etc than the Russians ever dreamed of doing. Shoot they hacked the Blizzard servers and stole my account for WoW. I hadn't paid for a WoW subscription in over a year. Didn't stop them from selling my legendary items and making my character into a mule. I even had one of the Blizzard authentication key chains on my account! Blizzard accused me until they noticed that NOBODY had been paying for my game time and it was playing everyday.

Yes, the Chinese are our friends. Kumbaya!

Well, the NSA hacked the world in the name of "security". I don't see you not doing business with american companies. You're not thinking clearly on purpose.

Well, the NSA hacked the world in the name of "security". I don't see you not doing business with american companies. You're not thinking clearly on purpose.

Again, there is a system for suing them. We have a checks and balances system.

Again, there is a system for suing them. We have a checks and balances system.

And yet the person that exposed it is in exile. All I am saying is your stance doesn't make sense to me relative to your reasoning and what I call reality. You're free to buy whatever you want.

And yet the person that exposed it is in exile. All I am saying is your stance doesn't make sense to me relative to your reasoning and what I call reality. You're free to buy whatever you want.

Not getting political, thus I can say no more.

So they invented a browser, where instead of clicking on your bookmarks you have to drag and drop them to the address bar?

Back