Opera Says Microsoft EU Browser Offer "Not Enough"

MS should sue Opera and Nintendo for having a Monopoly on the Wii and DS web browser market share.

MS should sue Opera and Nintendo for having a Monopoly on the Wii and DS web browser market share.

Exactly, another good example.

No excuses at all. This "Microsoft Monopoly" nonsense is getting old.

Why not go after Linux distro creators for only supplying Firefox?
Why not go after Apple for only bundling Safari?
Why not go after Google for only hosting Google applications?
Why not go after Honda for only using Honda spark plugs?

Exactly, another good example.

No excuses at all. This "Microsoft Monopoly" nonsense is getting old.

That would actually be appropriate.

I am so sick of companies that cry about fair competition. Opera needs to come up with something innovative that will make the market use their product, rather than just be an alternative to something that already works...

And regarding regulation and legislation, I think a law should be passed forcing Nike to sell their shoes equipped with Reebok laces...

I am so sick of companies that cry about fair competition. Opera needs to come up with something innovative that will make the market use their product, rather than just be an alternative to something that already works...

And regarding regulation and legislation, I think a law should be passed forcing Nike to sell their shoes equipped with Reebok laces...

I am pretty sure not only the laces but the shoes for both Nike and Rebook are manufactured in the same sweat shops in China.

Ship Windows with No IE, No TCP/IP stack. Tell eveyone both are available for download.

EU is NOT the world's largest economy. China Is.

EU is the largest collection of circle jerk monkeys.

Exactly... It's called consumerism. Consumers stick with what they like. Sorry if they're too ignorant to look at alternate softwares out there, but that's not Microsoft's fault.

Maybe they actually need to introduce some killer features (like Firefox) or actually do some advertising (like Apple).

I am pretty sure not only the laces but the shoes for both Nike and Rebook are manufactured in the same sweat shops in China.

What the hell does that have to do with anything???

they did come up with alot of innovation btw. Tab's was their thing, gestures was their thing. Plus a load of others.

Thats 1/2 the reason they are miffed. They came up with some really good UI concepts that are being used in alot of things now ... and yet their market share hasn't really changed.

5years ago they probably would have had a really strong "this is hurting us" case. Problem was the EU anti-competition branch was /really/ weak and had been shown to be incompetent and wasn't generally winning cases. It wasn't until that big case against MS did the EU anti-competition court show it was actually capable of defending EU competition laws (and hence the gates opened for other cases)

This case is just too late... FF taking off, Safari avail for windows, IE8 being able to be removed...

Ship Windows with No IE, No TCP/IP stack. Tell eveyone both are available for download.

EU is NOT the world's largest economy. China Is.

EU is the largest collection of circle jerk monkeys.

Strike that EU not the WLE.. but .. I still stand by my last remark. And to residents, I am refering to your leaders.

Thanks for shopping

I cant hate on Opera because they provide us mobile users OPERA MINI :)

they did come up with alot of innovation btw. Tab's was their thing, gestures was their thing. Plus a load of others.

Thats 1/2 the reason they are miffed. They came up with some really good UI concepts that are being used in alot of things now ... and yet their market share hasn't really changed..

I think that has more to due to the fact, while those features were good, it still wasn't an all-inclusive package like what IE or FF offered.
And compatibility was still worse than IE.

Ok, so I guess Alpine should sue EVERY car manufacturer because the build radio's into their cars...
Great point. This monopoly business is getting out of hand. When is someone going to do something about Apple requiring iTunes for iPhone use. Talk about being misguided.

As far as I understand it, this is todo with OEM versions of Windows. Thus system-builders can then decide to either put IE* on, FF,Opera,Chrome,... or all of them

Only ones that this would mess with would be those that buy OEM-disks to put on their present systems

It is for both OEM and Retail versions. And there isn't anything stopping OEM's from installing Opera or Firefox on PC's today if they really wanted to.

I think the U.S. still has the world's largest economy. They are all intertwined to the point that if any one of them collapse they all do, so it really is a mute point. China is the leader in destroying the environment though.

As a European I tell you all that I am ashamed of this decision... its a witch hunt that serves no purpose.

I hope Opera croaks over and dies because of this... the last thing I want is a crippled Windows 7 version ... just because 0.001% of the population want to try an alternative crappy Opera browser .... Jesus, just download firefox if you want an alternative 'free' browser to IE8.

Forgive our retarded politicians... for they know no better (being retards and all that)

One would think that Opera would get the hint that their browser blows when even Nintendo is looking to create their own Browser for the wii because the opera one it currently uses is a piece of garbage.

Honestly I am getting tired of hearing Opera whine, either create a browser that doesn't suck or find something else to do.

Depending on how install, Firefox is not installed by default. + its free for real

Apple is considered a niche product.

Why not going after Microsoft for only shipping MS applications? Oh..wait..

Because there is real competition. Same with the stereos.

Of all the browsers, IE is the only one you pay for. You need a windows license to use it, or so it is for most ppl.

Konqueror and Nautilus are alternative browsers on Linux and will be installed by default on most distros. Konqueror is also available for windows

Konqueror and Nautilus are alternative browsers on Linux and will be installed by default on most distros. Konqueror is also available for windows

Nautilus is a filesystem browser NOT a web-browser, Just like Dolphin is a filesystem browser

Of all the browsers, IE is the only one you pay for. You need a windows license to use it, or so it is for most ppl.

You are not paying for IE. It is a windows only program. There is a big difference.

You pay for Opera however, unless they changed that.

Can we all at least agree that: no matter what MS does in this situation, they will be sued or fined in the EU courts by someone because of it.

You dont pay for Opera. If you want to use IE you must buy windows.

your logic makes no sense, what else are you gonna use on your PC?? Linux? then i hope to god you arent using IE because firefox and heck even the other browsers for linux are 100 times better. Besides IE is included with windows you arent paying extra for it.

Can we all at least agree that: no matter what MS does in this situation, they will be sued or fined in the EU courts by someone because of it.

They are not the only one. The EU bureaucracy has turned into a monster seeking control far beyond the mandate given by the EU parliament and EU voters. The transparency is zero and normal people have no idea what is going on before some crazy political decision or court ruling is announced "on behalf of the people". This reflects the poor democratic traditions of continental Europe (Germany, Italy, France, Spain, former East Block countries) and is not well received in the Nordic countries and probably not in the UK or Ireland either.

Why not going after Microsoft for only shipping MS applications? Oh..wait..

Exactly, if the EU is going to go after MS apps that are preinstalled, then they should be going right after Google for prebundling its apps on its home page. Google is every bit the king of its market as MS is of theirs.

I dont think thats right, and both companies should be allowed to promote their products, but Im using the EU logic here.

Wether IE is free or not has no bearing on wether they should be allowed to provide it. Besides, even without it installed, MS wont be lowering the price of the OS, so its not exactly a piece of software that has a value to us.

This is just a rediculous notion that MS must support 3rd party competitors. In what market does that make sense? Again, all i have to say is Mozilla. You can cry foul all you want, but Mozilla took on the evil MS and have suceeded and continue to succeed. How did they do it? wow, its a huge mystery.... They created a compelling product and marketed it. This is how every market works.

So where does this all end? Is the next step forcing MS to bundle alternatives to Windows Mail, WMP, Windows Defender, etc, etc. This is not the way to breed competition. This is not one of those cases of clear illegal practices, its a matter of opinion.

I really think ie should be a option in windows. they dont need to have options for other browsers. But give ppl choice to install or not.

But wouldnt be a bit hard to download firefox without a browser to start with :)

Funny that the EU is targeting Microsoft and Apple is not even mentioned at all. Considering that the Mac comes with Safari?
Way to go EU, you've elected a bunch of narrow minded single thought process idiots.
By the way, no offense Apple folks. This is just a comparison.

You dont pay for Opera. If you want to use IE you must buy windows.

So Opera is free now, it was paid before.

Again, as I pointed out IE is a windows only program. That doesn't mean you are paying for it by having to buy windows. Look at any free windows only program out there on the web. Does Microsoft pay them considering you have to buy windows to use it?

Google Earth is windows only i believe is it now? Does that mean you pay for it considering you had to buy windows? Do you think that Microsoft gives Google a certain percentage of the money made on every windows licenses?

Wow...the EU is pretty dumb. I mean, I'm only echoing posts already made in here, but still, yikes. They don't bitch about Apple installing Safari on their OS, or Linux having Firefox on most distros. What the hell is their problem? And how the hell is Microsoft not putting IE on versions of W7 NOT enough for Opera? I don't understand, what the hell else is Microsoft to do?

So Opera is free now, it was paid before.

Again, as I pointed out IE is a windows only program. That doesn't mean you are paying for it by having to buy windows. Look at any free windows only program out there on the web. Does Microsoft pay them considering you have to buy windows to use it?

Google Earth is windows only i believe is it now? Does that mean you pay for it considering you had to buy windows? Do you think that Microsoft gives Google a certain percentage of the money made on every windows licenses?

google earth has been linux-native since before June 2006

Back