Opera Renegotiates $1.2B Sale Down To $600M For Its Browsers

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Is Opera worth $1.2B? Apparently not, as their buyer decided they would only shell out $600M. Sold are its mobile and desktop browser operations, its performance and privacy apps, its tech licensing not including Opera TV, and Opera’s 29 percent stake in Chinese JV nHorizon. The remaining company has 18 months to find a new name and trademark.

The company announced that an offer to acquire the company for $1.2 billion has now been terminated, and in the meantime, the deal has been renegotiated: the same group will now pay $600 million to acquire only certain parts of Opera’s business. Opera will sell the Qihoo 360-led consortium its mobile and desktop browser operations, its performance and privacy apps, its tech licensing not including Opera TV; and Opera’s 29 percent stake in Chinese JV nHorizon. Opera’s remaining business that is not part of the sale will include Opera Mediaworks, Opera Apps & Games (including Bemobi) and Opera TV, along with about 560 employees. As of Q1, Opera had 1,669 employees in its full operation.

I am currency using opera, and i am disappointed by how poorly it runs youtube. I liked it back in the day because it could talk the words of entire webpages, I could use its cache to grab videos, and back in my 56k days it was helpful to restrict pictures when reading websites, and previous website could be reached faster because they were in the cache. Pretty much the final straw was the loss of RSS. If it was not for my bookmarks I would leave the web browser...

Uninstalled on all platforms and deleted my old Opera account. I'll miss that browser. Opera Mini was the shizzle.

Any chance there was i would ever use Opera was gone when they cried and whined to EU to fine MS for including IE in windows. Claiming it was unfair for them to include it in their OWN OS. Pretty sad they needed the EU to do work they didn't want to.

Been using opera for the last month or so. Works great and I no longer get TDR crashes with my nvidia drivers unlike chrome.

Is Opera even worth $600m? I imagine simply making a new browser and putting out advertisements for it would be cheaper.

Been using opera for the last month or so. Works great and I no longer get TDR crashes with my nvidia drivers unlike chrome.

Opera is now based on Chrome, BTW.

Well, there's always Vivaldi for the real Opera lovers. It was founded by the old Opera co-founder and former CEO.

Opera is now based on Chrome, BTW.

Yeah. But oddly Reality is still right. Opera is like chrome stable release or something. They skip a lot of the chrome updates it seems and it runs better for it overall. I think chrome over-agiled itself.

Damn, I use Opera and Opera mini too but don't trust the Chinese so will have to uninstall them.

There is no problem with video playback in Opera on youtube, the issue is caused by the ad blocker built into Opera, that's if you are talking about the black screen you get on some videos. Just refresh the page and it will play fine when you get that issue.

I only used opera to get stream urls from pages. Somehow the inspect element addon works much better in opera than in firefox.

Well, there's always Vivaldi for the real Opera lovers. It was founded by the old Opera co-founder and former CEO.

I managed to miss this and spent an hour trying to hunt down a decent browser. Came across Vivaldi randomly. In my few minutes playing with it, this feels like Opera with a V instead of an O in the corner.

Back