Opera Co-Founder: Google Undermined My New Vivaldi Browser

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Vivaldi CEO Jon von Tetzchner is telling his friends at Google to “return to not being evil”: the Opera co-founder alleges that the search giant suspended his Google AdWords campaign without reason, preventing his company from promoting their products or services. Additionally, Vivaldi has had to keep its browser identity hidden in order to access many of their services (e.g., Docs) even though it is based on Google’s own Chromium, an open-source project.

A monopoly both in search and advertising, Google, unfortunately, shows that they are not able to resist the misuse of power. I am saddened by this makeover of a geeky, positive company into the bully they are in 2017. I feel blocking competitors on thin reasoning lends credence to claims of their anti-competitive practices. It is also fair to say that Google is now in a position where regulation is needed. I sincerely hope that they’ll get back to the straight and narrow.

I love Vivaldi. I've bounced around between browsers over the years, Firfox, Chrome, even tried Brave. Once I installed Vivaldi, I haven't looked back.

I may just have to try out this Vivaldi browser. First time I have even heard of it.

I heard Brave is good too. Currently using FF Nightly which is very fast. I'm excited there is actually some browser competition again like in the old days.

As Google's founders get further from Google, expect more of this sort of thing to happen. The browser builders have always stole from each other, but with the exception of Amazon search results, I can't recall the Google search engine from ever filtering out it's competitors.

I guess their motto now is "Don't do evil, unless you can get away with it."

I've being bouncing back and forth between Vivaldi and Opera after getting having numerous issues with Chrome. However, I've come across numerous instances of Google locking out Vivaldi and Opera since I work with a lot of Google products and develop on Google services. Just like Microsoft's IE some years back, Google needs to be brought too heel by the Federal government.

I've being bouncing back and forth between Vivaldi and Opera after getting having numerous issues with Chrome. However, I've come across numerous instances of Google locking out Vivaldi and Opera since I work with a lot of Google products and develop on Google services. Just like Microsoft's IE some years back, Google needs to be brought too heel by the Federal government.

Why?

The Government has no place in this.

It is Googles choice on what they want to support, even if they ONLY support chrome (I am a FF user). The issues with the software not working was with Opera, I am sitting here with Goolge Docs etc open and working in Vivaldi right now, Vivaldi claims that they were blocked on some of the apps, but no actual details on which or what that means. They were also dealing with Google on all of this yet never said if they asked why they were being blocked and if they got an answer, I would assume that would have been one of the first questions after all.

The "unreasonable conditions" they claim Google wanted them to follow to be able to use Googles ad service (which is and should be totally up to them) was that they needed to add a EULA and a link to the EULA should be in the same frame of the download button.

What seems "evil" to me is calling for a government to, by force, make someone run their business the way you want it run in your own favor.

Have been using vivaldi as main browser since beta. Very solid. Totally love it.

I refuse to use chrome at all. The harder google is pushing it, the more I hate it.

Vivaldi CEO Jon von Tetzchner is telling his friends at Google to “return to not being evil”: the Opera co-founder alleges that the search giant suspended his Google AdWords campaign without reason, preventing his company from promoting their products or services. Additionally, Vivaldi has had to keep its browser identity hidden in order to access many of their services (e.g., Docs) even though it is based on Google’s own Chromium, an open-source project.

A monopoly both in search and advertising, Google, unfortunately, shows that they are not able to resist the misuse of power. I am saddened by this makeover of a geeky, positive company into the bully they are in 2017. I feel blocking competitors on thin reasoning lends credence to claims of their anti-competitive practices. It is also fair to say that Google is now in a position where regulation is needed. I sincerely hope that they’ll get back to the straight and narrow.
Yes, let's take that power from a corporation and give it to the government. That will be so much less oppressive.

Break them up. You can break them up according to services. They don't need YouTube to function as a search engine and visa versa. Same for Mail. Break them up and only come back if the pieces collude.

Regulation will mean they do what they do now, but only more politically and deep state aligned than before.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
Vivaldi is a really nice browser. Opera was fine too but I stopped using it after they sold it to China.

Why?

The Government has no place in this.

It is Googles choice on what they want to support, even if they ONLY support chrome (I am a FF user). The issues with the software not working was with Opera, I am sitting here with Goolge Docs etc open and working in Vivaldi right now, Vivaldi claims that they were blocked on some of the apps, but no actual details on which or what that means. They were also dealing with Google on all of this yet never said if they asked why they were being blocked and if they got an answer, I would assume that would have been one of the first questions after all.

The "unreasonable conditions" they claim Google wanted them to follow to be able to use Googles ad service (which is and should be totally up to them) was that they needed to add a EULA and a link to the EULA should be in the same frame of the download button.

What seems "evil" to me is calling for a government to, by force, make someone run their business the way you want it run in your own favor.
I've always been a free market, limited government type guy where regulations just hurt the industry. But I think it's time for an adjustment. Regulations hurt the little guy (small businesses). The big ones can take advantage of regulations with big lobby, army of lawyers, and massive amounts of accounting wizards who can loophole their way out of anything. Something the little guy can't do. The regulated barrier to entry in the business world keeps the big businesses in power.

Google might not leverage government to it's advantage as much as telecoms do but they definitely still do a lot. I say, if you live by the sword (big lobby, subsides, etc) then you die by the sword (be subject to regulations). Got have it both ways.

Vivaldi is a really nice browser. Opera was fine too but I stopped using it after they sold it to China.

I'm mostly back on Chrome because of work-related stuff, but the sale to China is why I switched to Vivaldi in the first place. I'm glad I discovered it, it's a really nice and peppy browser.

Back