Opera Claims To Beat Microsoft Edge In Battery Life

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Edge has the best battery life? Not so fast, says Opera, who claims their browser’s battery-saving feature lets it run 22% longer than the competition. Many are thinking this isn’t fair, though, since Microsoft’s tests didn’t involve potential energy savers such as ad-blockers.

Opera Developer (39.0.2248.0) with native ad blocker and power saver enabled is able to run 22% longer than Microsoft Edge (25.10586.0.0) on a laptop running Windows 10, 64-bit, and 35% longer than the latest version of Google Chrome (51.0.2704.103). Tests will never perfectly reflect the way real people browse, but there are ways to make some tests more reliable than others. For example, you can use a variety of different websites (video, news etc,) to imitate the way users browse. You can also use a special algorithm that scrolls these websites similar way real users do. This is what we did in previous tests, and this is what we did when comparing Opera to Edge.

Other browsers beat Edge with a stick like a red headed step child, news at 11.

From Opera's tests it seems that Chrome + adblock should easily beat Edge in power savings. There goes Edge's "advantage". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have been using Lynx with excellent results, others should do the same. After a while you don't even notice the difference.

I can believe Chrome being on the bottom. Chrome has become one seriously bloated, CPU stealing, RAM stealing, sluggish POS lately. It can't even play youtube video's without static and stutter unless it has nearly 100'% of the processor all to itself.

From Opera's tests it seems that Chrome + adblock should easily beat Edge in power savings. There goes Edge's "advantage". :rolleyes:

AD Block Plus extension in Edge works great with the exception that it doesn't block ads in videos yet. Ad Block Plus in Chrome makes Chrome sluggish. I have seen Ad Block Plus in Edge cause the browser to suddenly want to reset itself. Still a work in progress, but I like it. I haven't tried Opera in years. I do like the Brave browser though. It blocks ads pretty well, but one of those browser hijack scripts was able to come through on an earlier build and I didn't appreciate that. It seems to have the most potential so far. The new FireFox Beta is really nice. I refuse to enable Flash on it so I can't use it everywhere I want. I hope Google finishes killing off Flash by next year.

^ ABP is worthless, and if it has other performance problems I wouldn't be surprised. I use the other popular blocker with a similar name, which is unrelated to ABP.

Back