Opera 9 - High memory usage?

G-Nome

Limp Gawd
I'm trying out the new Opera 9 beta, and so far I love it. The only annoying thing is that it seems to take up so much memory. I've turned of the automatic page cache, but it still goes up every time I go to a new webpage. What gives?

Mine varies with 9. right now with a single page open, it's around 80 megs, but I'm not doing anything more than listening to music or surfing around on other sites. memory usage isn't a huge concern here. As far as I can tell firefox does the same thing. not sure why myself.

Well in Firefox, at the moment, I have 7 tabs open and 37megs. The only time FF freaks out on me and gets huge mem usage is when I'm browing a page with gazillions of images.

Opera *should* have the lowest memory footprint. Unfortunately the Opera dev team has apparently lost their way.They use to be all about creating a small, compact fast WEB BROWSER. Now Opera 9 is just as bloated and pathetic as IE. I've been using Opera since the 3.x days, but quite frankly, I'll be jumping ship if they continue on this track.

I have 2GB, so that would probably explain most of it. Thanks for the articles though, it definitely cleared a few things up. Not so worried about it any more. :)

Back